Joe Marino All-22 review - "The coaches were duds"

HappyDays

20 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

could not agree more

for example i think this is second and short and yes I KNOW- we want to move the chains, we want to grind out yards, we want to play complementary football, we want everything small ball is good for. but holy hell he would have thrown this past the safety's ear to Hollins for a TD back in the day

SqZBTg.jpg

This looks like Hoss Y Juke, #2 WRs on both sides run deep seam routes.  The problem is we rarely throw those seam routes, and its either the juke route to the Y/Kincaid, or the outside hitches.  Got to keep defenses honest on a pass concept, we ran this concept a ton too last year, although I'll admit that maybe it's not Hoss because i cant see the entire play, though I think it is. 

Edited by bouds

We can all break down film all day. What I saw was a team that wanted it more and came in with a physical mindset and they didn’t get matched. 

As a former coach, sometimes you just get your ass kicked and that’s what happened. It was very similar to the Bengals divisional game. 

The ravens wanted to run it they did it, screen passes you got it, play action passes were there. It was one of those nights 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

My biggest issues is those that are calling for his head rarely come up with a viable replacement. Change for change sakes doesn't necessary mean things will improve. I mean off the top of my head I really can't think of a HC candidate out there that would make us a better team right now. 

Jim Harbaugh last year would have been an upgrade

• Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, uticaclub said:

Guy made a Super Bowl with Colin Sackorpick, I would LOVE to see what he can do with Allen.

Yea by playing defense and running the ball. Look what he is doing with Justin Herbert (who isn't Allen but is pretty talented) - he is playing defense and running the ball. That's what he'd do with Josh Allen. It's what he'd do with anyone. 1970s dinosaur. 

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea by playing defense and running the ball. Look what he is doing with Justin Herbert (who isn't Allen but is pretty talented) - he is playing defense and running the ball. That's what he'd do with Josh Allen. It's what he'd do with anyone. 1970s dinosaur. 

Would have the balls to bring Greg Roman back here to be OC?

14 hours ago, Simon said:

This was the one thing that really spooked me Sunday night.

I don't know Brady well enough to know whether that unwillingness to adapt is an issue that could be ongoing or whether it was just an outlier.

If it's an outlier, we're fine; I think this offense is versatile enough to handle any defensive looks they get.

If it's not an outlier, we might as well start planning for the future because that stubbornness is not sustainable in this league. 

Well, Carolina couldn't run him out of town fast enough, so we'll see how he makes out here, but i'm thinking not an outlier.

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

um thats what we are doing right now

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/1/2024 at 9:20 AM, Cray51 said:

Completely agree.  The moment we went heavy with Morrow, Hill abused him.  There wasn't a solution with the talent we had on the field.  This is where a heavy concept with Williams/Milano/Bernard looks a lot different than Morrow/Spector/Williams.  I dont know that we could have held the Ravens below 28 points even executing our gameplan well.

It's kind of ironic to think of the Bills going "heavy" with Nicholas Morrow, a 216 lb linebacker.  And if a 216 lb linebacker isn't quick enough to defend a running play, what good is he?

Here's what I've been wondering - it seems the bills made some adjustments at halftime and to an extent, it worked. Why did they wait till halftime? The bills were getting their butts handed to them the whole first half. Why not adjust after you're down 14-3 (or whatever it was)? Seems the coaches were a bit asleep in this one 

Joe Buscaglia's take, for Athletic subscribers:

He surprisingly doesn't grade any of the OL too badly. He feels that the OL problems were a result of confusion and poor preparation more than individual blocking losses.

The biggest player problem he identifies on offense is WR separation. He points the finger at Hollins, MVS, and Samuel as the worst culprits. Mentions Coleman too but says Coleman has at least done a good job of making catches without getting great separation, whereas the others have been almost non-factors as pass catchers.

So his take on offense is somewhat different from Joe Marino's. He thinks the OL issues are entirely fixable with practice and preparation, but the WR separation is a real problem with no immediate solution other than giving Shakir and Kincaid the bulk of targets moving forward.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He thinks the OL issues are entirely fixable with practice and preparation

I actually agree with this, except for OCT. I don't know what is going on with that guy, but after a promising rookie season, he looks much much much worse.

37 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I actually agree with this, except for OCT. I don't know what is going on with that guy, but after a promising rookie season, he looks much much much worse.

Could be adjusting to a new center tbh

McDermott has always been prone to giving up big rushing days to teams that feature the run and sometimes even teams that don't.  I would have to hope that hopefully we get healthier at LB and the secondary plays together and gains a little more experience we will hopefully not have a repeat performance.  It's also not every day that you run into a team that runs the ball like Baltimore but if we do run into them again it will probably be the playoffs.  I would feel much better about Milano and Bernard with Williams coming in if we go base than I do Spector, Williams and Morrow.

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

Here's what I've been wondering - it seems the bills made some adjustments at halftime and to an extent, it worked. Why did they wait till halftime? The bills were getting their butts handed to them the whole first half. Why not adjust after you're down 14-3 (or whatever it was)? Seems the coaches were a bit asleep in this one 

Belichick would make adjustments after every drive. McD waits till his reservation is available at halftime. Listen,  I realize we were missing Milano, Bernard and Johnson.  But why on earth after watching Henry go 87 yards untouched, would you not go heavy box 40% of the time. Lamar's #1 weakness is staying in the pocket and throwing deep. It's as several other posters have theorized,  did they just concede because they were out guned defensively?

• Like (+1) 1