Are our DB's slow?

tomur67

24 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I don't know that there was an angle there for hamlin.  He's headed sideways as henry is getting speed going straight up.  The key isn't tackling him 40 yards down field, its slowing him down before he gets there. 

To me that is a trio of misses by rapp, williams, and spector.  The play design takes out oliver, but 3 on 3 and not one of those guys got a hand on him.  

THANK YOU! 

Sometimes you have to just tip your hat to opponent, great play call and execution by Bal..

Confident in our coaching and that they'll make needed adjustments

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Hamlin has been doing this day 1

Hamlin certainly has issues with his game, and as a S he has a lot more responsibility compared to outside DB's in diagnosing plays all over the field plus stopping the run. But in the pass game he has been decent when targeted. Opposing QBs are 6/13, 83 yards, 1 INT. I was shocked he's been targeted so infrequently. But like OP mentioned, he takes terrible angle's and isn't a great tackler. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HamlDa00.htm

I struggle to understand why some fans can't see the greater season through the vacuum of one game.  Our "slow" defensive backs essentially eliminated MHJ, Hill, Waddle, Kirk, and Thomas Jr. in three consecutive weeks.   They don't run down an all-time great RB who has a full head of steam, running untouched downhill and our defensive backs are too slow or not athletic enough.

This board so far this morning has a "Josh Allen has lost a step" thread and now this one too...

geesh

10 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

You can’t blame a defender for avoiding contact? Seriously wtf. If a defender doesn’t want to tackle a RB they shouldn’t be playing football. 

I hear you I guess I phrased it poorly. I want him to make the tackle I just don’t want him injured. 

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Benford won the race by the way. Benford had to hit 21 mph also. He was gaining.

Inexcusable that the Bills dont have someone fast enough to catch Henry in this spot. Fire Beane. And fire McD for reccomending Beane to ownership....  

....and change the combination on my luggage. 

Edited by RkFast
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Einstein said:

Where did you read that? Highest I calculated him at was 20.45mph.

They must be taking a split second of instant velocity that rapidly diminished. It’s like capturing a tiny moment of time where he reaches that but doesn’t maintain it at all.

His average velocity was 17mph, and his sustained high was around 18.

They showed it during game

Yeah, the Bills have mostly slow to average DBs.  The only guy with real speed is Elam.  Cole Bishop isn't bad for a safety, but he's not the burner that some are.  The zone defense that the Bills use is predicated on keeping the play in front of you.  It allows slightly less athletic DBs to control speedy receivers most of the time, but if one gets past you, look out.  

13 hours ago, Einstein said:

I was also interested in this and ran the math on it yesterday.

He accelerated considerably throughout the run. Once he passed his own 30 yard line, the it took 8.42 seconds for him to reach the endzone. That is 8.31 yards per second. Extrapolated over 40 yards, and he ran the equivalent of a 4.8 40 yard dash.

You would think one DB would catch him.

If Henry has a 2-yard lead and is running a 4.81 40-yard dash, while a defensive back  runs a 4.5, we can determine how long it will take for the DB to catch up by calculating relative speed. Henry’s speed is about 8.32 yards per second, given that he covers 40 yards in 4.81 seconds. The DB, running a 4.5-second 40, is moving at 8.89 yards per second. 

One our DB’s, if they can run a 4.5, should have gained on Henry at a relative net speed of 0.57 yards per second. With Henry’s 2-yard lead, it should take a DB about 3.51 seconds to close the 2-yard gap and catch up to Henry.

But they didn’t.

Over those first 30 yards (past the 30), he was moving at 10 yards per second and covered his acceleration over the last 40 with the sum of the 70 total was nearly 0.57 yards per second squared.

Henry hit up to 21.29 mph during that run...which is impressive and just short of the speed Worthy hit on his TD.

He accelerated considerably throughout the run. Once he passed his own 30 yard line, the it took 8.42 seconds for him to reach the endzone. That is 8.31 yards per second. Extrapolated over 40 yards, and he ran the equivalent of a 4.8 40 yard dash.

If Henry has a 2-yard lead and is running a 4.81 40-yard dash, while a defensive back  runs a 4.5, we can determine how long it will take for the DB to catch up by calculating relative speed. Henry’s speed is about 8.32 yards per second, given that he covers 40 yards in 4.81 seconds. The DB, running a 4.5-second 40, is moving at 8.89 yards per second. 

One our DB’s, if they can run a 4.5, should have gained on Henry at a relative net speed of 0.57 yards per second. With Henry’s 2-yard lead, it should take a DB about 3.51 seconds to close the 2-yard gap and catch up to Henry.

But they didn’t.

Over those first 30 yards (past the 30), he was moving at 10 yards per second and covered his acceleration over the last 40 with the sum of the 70 total was nearly 0.57 yards per second squared.

Dude you really went there! This is some beek beek stuff. Thanks brotha 😊

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, tomur67 said:

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this before, but wasn't it surprising that we didn't have a DB on the field that that could catch 250 pound Derrick Henry run practically the whole length of the field.  I think it was said that run was one of his longest runs ever, probably because most teams have a DB that could take him down before he gets to the end zone.  I don't think anyone got even close to him.

Yes. Yes they are.

But they didn’t.

Your calculations aren’t taking into account that Henry also ran at all angle from the 30 to the endzone.  He ran closer to 71 yards given that he ran at a slight angle, as opposed to 70, which is the equivalent to a 4.74 40 yard dash.  Plus, the run was on grass, which potentially has some give or moisture to it.

That said, neither Hamlin or Lewis were making up ground on Henry.  But, Benford was, given that when Henry crossed the 30, Benford was slightly behind it and closer to the right hash.  Hence, Benford ran closer to 74 yards to get to the goalline in those 8.42 seconds at that angle, which puts him around an equivalent of a 4.57 40 yard dash, by my calculations.

My guess is that without pads and in a combine setting, all of these guys would put up a better 40-yard dash than running on a grass field with pads on.  Between Henry, Hamlin, Lewis & Benford, they all did put up 4.5-4.6 when they ran in their respective combines.  Benford seems like maybe he’s got a longer kick than the rest of them, although it seems clear Hamlin and Lewis don’t have that extra kick to catch the 30 year old Henry, but I still wouldn’t discount the burst that Henry has continually shown throughout his career.

Hamlin took the worst angle and is slow as hell, he was unblocked and had a 15 yard cushion and couldn’t within 5 yards of Henry! Hamlin should be on the PS with a sign that says brake glass in case of emergency only.