Are our DB's slow?

tomur67

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this before, but wasn't it surprising that we didn't have a DB on the field that that could catch 250 pound Derrick Henry run practically the whole length of the field.  I think it was said that run was one of his longest runs ever, probably because most teams have a DB that could take him down before he gets to the end zone.  I don't think anyone got even close to him.

9 minutes ago, tomur67 said:

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this before, but wasn't it surprising that we didn't have a DB on the field that that could catch 250 pound Derrick Henry run practically the whole length of the field.  I think it was said that run was one of his longest runs ever, probably because most teams have a DB that could take him down before he gets to the end zone.  I don't think anyone got even close to him.

Said exactly that at the time. 
So much for small but fast back seven.

Tre White was a small DB. Benford and Douglas are both bigger and longer than he was, both over 6' and 200lbs. 

But actually, they said it was Henry's 3rd longest run. Meaning he's had two runs of at least 87yds in his career. Remember a few years ago when he broke through the line and nobody could catch him then, too? He's a beast, and he's a fast 250lbs even at 30yrs old. 

I was also interested in this and ran the math on it yesterday.

He accelerated considerably throughout the run. Once he passed his own 30 yard line, the it took 8.42 seconds for him to reach the endzone. That is 8.31 yards per second. Extrapolated over 40 yards, and he ran the equivalent of a 4.8 40 yard dash.

You would think one DB would catch him.

If Henry has a 2-yard lead and is running a 4.81 40-yard dash, while a defensive back  runs a 4.5, we can determine how long it will take for the DB to catch up by calculating relative speed. Henry’s speed is about 8.32 yards per second, given that he covers 40 yards in 4.81 seconds. The DB, running a 4.5-second 40, is moving at 8.89 yards per second. 

One our DB’s, if they can run a 4.5, should have gained on Henry at a relative net speed of 0.57 yards per second. With Henry’s 2-yard lead, it should take a DB about 3.51 seconds to close the 2-yard gap and catch up to Henry.

But they didn’t.

Over those first 30 yards (past the 30), he was moving at 10 yards per second and covered his acceleration over the last 40 with the sum of the 70 total was nearly 0.57 yards per second squared.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

He accelerated considerably throughout the run. Once he passed his own 30 yard line, the it took 8.42 seconds for him to reach the endzone. That is 8.31 yards per second. Extrapolated over 40 yards, and he ran the equivalent of a 4.8 40 yard dash.

If Henry has a 2-yard lead and is running a 4.81 40-yard dash, while a defensive back  runs a 4.5, we can determine how long it will take for the DB to catch up by calculating relative speed. Henry’s speed is about 8.32 yards per second, given that he covers 40 yards in 4.81 seconds. The DB, running a 4.5-second 40, is moving at 8.89 yards per second. 

One our DB’s, if they can run a 4.5, should have gained on Henry at a relative net speed of 0.57 yards per second. With Henry’s 2-yard lead, it should take a DB about 3.51 seconds to close the 2-yard gap and catch up to Henry.

But they didn’t.

Over those first 30 yards (past the 30), he was moving at 10 yards per second and covered his acceleration over the last 40 with the sum of the 70 total was nearly 0.57 yards per second squared.

They blinked... made business decision... Taylor Rapp tried and knocked himself out... small fast linebackers are all well and good against finesse... needed a couple more thumpers.

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

They blinked... made business decision... Taylor Rapp tried and knocked himself out... small fast linebackers are all well and good against finesse... needed a couple more thumpers.

The linebackers we had out there on Sunday aren't even that fast. It wasn't about size and/or speed - it was about ability. 

As for are our DBs slow - Hamlin ended up as the one in pursuit and yes he is slow.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

As for are our DBs slow - Hamlin ended up as the one in pursuit and yes he is slow.

Hamlin is surprisingly slow - on his lone interception he had a ton of field to work with as he "ran" to his right.  I figured he'd get down to the 20 yard line or so, but he ran sideways and fell down at the feet of a JAX receiver? lineman?  It was embarrassing.  The ghost of Primetime's toes was disappointed.  

But we are stuck with him now because of the feel good story.  There is a special before every national night name - barf.  It'll take all of this year before they quietly yank him in the offseason - if Seany can even bring himself to do that.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Henry has been clocked at over 20 mph on several occasions over his career. He’s not some Jerome Bettis can’t outrun anybody type of big back. He has run away from db’s before

Yep.  He isn’t quick in the first 10 yards but after that, he picks up “steam” and is fast.  

35 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

And then the non huge backs leave them in the dust. Our issue is DL and LB.  Oliver is too small, and so are our LBs. But it's what we play, so we deal with it.

• Disagree 1

He ran pretty fast. They said he reached almost 22 mph. The fastest of the 2023 season was a DK Metcalf run that reached 22.23 mph.

48 minutes ago, Einstein said:

But they didn’t.

The problem is, he reached top speed while all the defenders had to turn and accelerate. So, the gap increased substantially before they could reach top speed. Once you take an improper angle, it is difficult to get back into the play.

• Agree 5

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

He ran pretty fast. They said he reached almost 22 mph. The fastest of the 2023 season was a DK Metcalf run that reached 22.23 mph.

Where did you read that? Highest I calculated him at was 20.45mph.

They must be taking a split second of instant velocity that rapidly diminished. It’s like capturing a tiny moment of time where he reaches that but doesn’t maintain it at all.

His average velocity was 17mph, and his sustained high was around 18.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

But they didn’t.

slow clap GIF

13 minutes ago, Einstein said:

They must be taking a split second of instant velocity that rapidly diminished. It’s like capturing a tiny moment of time where he reaches that but doesn’t maintain it at all.

They said it on the broadcast

13 minutes ago, Einstein said:

On the broadcast. It was somewhere around 21.5.

1 hour ago, tomur67 said:

i posted this last night.  10 years ago, Henry was a 4.5-4.6 40 man.  Hamlin had an angle and couldn't catch him for 50 yards running right behind him.  

Hamlin is MLB slow.

• Like (+1) 1