RIP Pete Rose

Guffalo

Two Pete memories:

I'll never forget watching Pete take out Bud Harrelson and the ensuing melee in the 1973 playoffs. 

I was at the game when Pete tied Tommy Holmes NL hitting streak record. Mets starter Pat Zachry had gotten him out twice and was p!ssed. Coming off the field I noticed him fall into the dugout - he tried to kick something, slipped and was out for an extended period.

Great player, not a fan of the man. RIP.

21 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

It was a different era … the way the major sports leagues are in bed with the Draft Kings of the world nowadays might have made a difference for him … betting or not, he deserves entry into the MLB HOF

Not so sure.  Some dude got suspended for a year this Spring for placing 10 bets totaling $90.

As for Rose RIP.  He was definitely a complicated character and personally I’m not sure what the most appropriate consequences should have been.  On the field though, that dude personified the phrase “never give up”.  He busted his butt all day every day.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Draconator said:

Ray Fosse was a long time broadcaster for the A's until his passing a couple of years ago. He flat out refused to talk about this play.

I see this and think “glad he didn’t make the HOF”. His Charlie Hustle act grated on me a bit.