OLINE Pass Pro / Qb Unforced Error Review - week 4 9/29/24 Ravens

Bocephuz

in the past i used to do lengthy in depth posts with gifs.. don't have time for that nowadays. I also did not count the Mitch TurdBiscuit reps. 

I watched every passing snap to evaluate pass blocking performance as well as Josh Allen unforced errors committed (PASS BLOCKING ONLY EVALUATED.. did not evaluate running plays). 

UNFORCED ERROR  =  Allen has time to throw, wr is open and he misses throw.. or.. Allen makes poor unforced decision 

OLINEMAN BEATEN =  O lineman clearly loses his one on one matchup... or.. clearly misreads stunt/combo block

____

OLINEMAN BEATEN STATS

DAWKINS -  0

EDWARDS -  2

MCGOVERN - 1

ANDERSON - 1

TORRENCE - 3

BROWN - 2 

DAVIS - 1

-DAWKINS - The only clean performance. Had a few dominant reps. 

- EDWARDS -  Was beaten twice. Both times DE got around his left side. 

- MCGOVERN - Was injured briefly but stepped up and came back in. He was cleanly beaten on one play.. but other than that held up reasonably well. 

- ANDERSON -  Came in at C for a few reps .. had a bad shotgun snap that I am counting as a bad rep.

- TORRENCE - His PFF low grade seems justified. Torrence led the OL in bad reps with 3. He was cleanly beaten one on one several times.. and also had a few reps where he looked lost and was trying to find someone to block. He started out strong last year but his pass protect quality has slipped and he is close to becoming a liability in pass pro. 

- BROWN  - Brown has certainly improved from last  year.. .but he was beaten one on one on a couple of nifty moves by the D end. Good news is he seems to have fixed the issue he had last few years where DE's would blow right by him on the outside with speed. For both moves that beat him yesterday you have to tip your hat to the DE. 

- DAVIS - imn q4 Davis was in for pass pro in the shotgun but he lined up way too close to line of scrimmage. When ball was snapped he couldn't get out to block the LDE in time and Allen was flushed immediately. 

OL SUMMARY :  This was a rough game for the O Line. Baltimore did a few twist stunts.. but mostly they just beat the Bills O linemen with technique one on one. Josh' scrambling ability saved 3 or 4 sacks.  The Guards ( Edwards and particularly Torrence) really struggled in one on one on several reps .. and it seemed like there was a bit of confusion on picking up stunts.  

QB UNFORCED ERRORS:  Josh had 3 unforced errors by my count where he had time but made bad decisions. For example .. in q3 he had a clean pocket to step into but he bailed right too early. This seems to be a pattern for Josh ( understandably so). If the o line is shaky early.. Josh gets a little antsy later in the game and bails from the pocket occaisonally when he doesn't need to.   It seemed like even when Josh did have time .. .the receivers rarely had any separation ( Kincaid being the exception). Based on my history of doing this kind of analysis when a qb has 5 or more unforced errors the chances of his team winning decrease materially.  In this case.. Josh actually played a pretty clean game with 3 unforced errors. 

Edited by Bocephuz
  • Thank you (+1) 2