Ed Oliver - MIA

LabattBlue

1 hour ago, PoundingDog said:

A lot of it is on coaching. Ed's role is penetrating at 3-tech. The Ravens said, go ahead and penetrate, but we'll wham block you with their 300 lb FB while Henry runs right by on the other side of the FB. It happened over and over again.

Yep. Their entire gameplan was about neutralising the Bills Dline. Sometimes you just have to applaud the other team and say - excellent gameplan, executed excellently. And the Ravens did that on Sunday. They neutralised what on paper looked like our advantage and maximised what on paper looked like theirs. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Oliver was a top 10 pick.  Metcalf was a second round pick.  It was Cody Ford over DK Metcalf and not Oliver over DK Metcalf.

I wanted the Bills to get Jeffrey Simmons in that draft. I thought the Bills could move back, get more draft capital and still get Simmons due to his injury. Definitely wanted Metcalf. Remember he couldn't run the route tree??😎😂

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I wanted the Bills to get Jeffrey Simmons in that draft. I thought the Bills could move back, get more draft capital and still get Simmons due to his injury. Definitely wanted Metcalf. Remember he couldn't run the route tree??😎😂

I mean.... he still can't. He runs 3 routes. Now he is outstanding in those situations. But the lack of a route tree knock on him was totally legit. 

4 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

He was getting wham blocked all night.  Can you imagine Ed Oliver in a spy?  Sometimes I think you just comment without watching the game

I was talking about on passing downs.

And he was executing a coaching directive by working a contain role for almost the entire first half.

The Bills staff didn't adjust until almost the end of the second quarter.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Agreed. Ed has always been an up and down guy.

To be fair where has Rousseau been since his 3 sack game to start the year?? Henry ran right past him as he was blocked by the RT on the 87 yard TD. 

Greg is doing his typical dance. Start the year strong and then disappear. 

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

And he was executing a coaching directive by working a contain role for almost the entire first half.

This coaching staff definitely failed the team for sure, 100%!

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean.... he still can't. He runs 3 routes. Now he is outstanding in those situations. But the lack of a route tree knock on him was totally legit. 

It's the over analyzing that's the problem!! Those 3 routes that he do run are 3 that the Bills are missing. His size and speed at WR was what the Bills needed 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Their entire gameplan was about neutralising the Bills Dline

On that first Henry TD, they let Oliver in wham blocked to inside. Rousseau probably had the responsibility of edge containment in case Henry or Lamar goes outside. Dorian saw the hole but was taken by the tackle and the Guard sealed off Baylon. The WR came up blocked Rapp who tried to firing into the hole. The free guys are Douglas and Damar. Douglas is probably the biggest culprit not wanting to getting in there directly in Henry's path; Damar just took a bad angle. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, PoundingDog said:

On that first Henry TD, they let Oliver in wham blocked to inside. Rousseau probably had the responsibility of edge containment in case Henry or Lamar goes outside. Dorian saw the hole but was taken by the tackle and the Guard sealed off Baylon. The WR came up blocked Rapp who tried to firing into the hole. The free guys are Douglas and Damar. Douglas is probably the biggest culprit not wanting to getting in there directly in Henry's path; Damar just took a bad angle. 

Yea it was pretty consistent all day. They used the Bills aggressiveness against them and got OL players to the send level onto our backup linebackers. That wasn't accidental. It was very well planned. The Ravens outcoached us and outplayed us. The offensive plan, especially first half, was masterful from Todd Monken. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, JohnNord said:

He wasn’t always in a spy role.  Don’t be fooled Oliver had a bad game, as did DaQuan and the rest of the DL.  

Here he gets blasted out of the picture on this wham block.  Reminds me of the Indy game from a few years back.  

Oliver did get taken out by the Wham block, but Dorian Williams was the main issue on that play. He got sucked in by the trap movement to his right and vacated the hole Henry ran through. (A Wham run to the offense’s right looks a lot like a Trap run to their left.) I’ll look at Oliver’s play when I can stomach the All22 so I don’t know what it was like yet, but this was a weird play to call him out for. 

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Adjusting the D late in the 2nd quarter may be a first for McD. He usually never adjusts defensively until halftime, that's one of my biggest gripes with him. It worked vs Arizona because the game wasn't out of hand, but in games like this week it's too little-too late. Why not make adjustments on the fly, like every other defensive coach?

Every game where we face a "beat up O-Line" we consistently put up putrid numbers. It's like clockwork.

It's not just Oliver, everyone on the line was bad Sunday night. I don't know if there's much to glean from it really. 

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

but Dorian Williams was the main issue on that pla

Not sure he's main culprit. Once Ed "successfully" penetrated (The Raven probably allowed that), Williams actually diagnosed correctly that it's a run and stepped forward. But the Ravens had plan for him - an O-lineman shot thru the gap Ed vacated and waited for Williams. If Williams beat the O-Lineman, it would be a play "above the scheme". I don't know any Bills LB of the last 10 years is capable of semi-consistent "above the scheme" play to be honest, but I do admit Bernard and Milano occasionally able to use quickness to beat the lineman to the hole.

On the other side of the hole, The Ravens had one receiver facing Douglas and Rapp and he correctly chose to engage Rapp. So a scheme play here should be Douglas going into the hole to interfere Henry if not tackling him down outright, until the help, Damar, joining in. The result, based on the scheme, would be a good play for the Ravens like 10 yard or so. But neither Douglas nor Damar laid a hand on Henry. 

This is not unique to Bills. I've said we need some guys who can play "above the scheme" and right now there is none on defense. If Chiefs Chris Jones were in Rousseau's position, one-on-one against an O-lineman, he might've tossed the guy aside and made the play directly on Henry. So everything could've gone wrong like we saw for the Bills on this play but one guy capable going above the scheme play saves all. That, my man, is the difference between the Chiefs and the Bills of the last few years in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

image.thumb.jpeg.278055e2517fe4bf6f4dd421b0da0e59.jpeg
🎵Bonanza🎶
If anyone fights any one of us
He's gonna fight with me
Hoss and Joe and Ed all know
Every rock and pine
No one works, fights, or eats
Like those boys of mine
Here we stand in the middle of a grand -

🎵Bonanza🎶

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Added the 'Bonanza' song. 😁

On 9/30/2024 at 1:17 PM, ProcessImproverMan said:

To think we could have had Metcalf in that draft. Imagine Allen with an actual stud like him....

After an All-Pro season, we lose one game, with the coaching and every single defensive player and O -lineman playing like sissy’s, you start talking about who we should have drafted 5 years ago?. People lose interest in forums like this because of these posts.

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Oliver did get taken out by the Wham block, but Dorian Williams was the main issue on that play. He got sucked in by the trap movement to his right and vacated the hole Henry ran through. (A Wham run to the offense’s right looks a lot like a Trap run to their left.) I’ll look at Oliver’s play when I can stomach the All22 so I don’t know what it was like yet, but this was a weird play to call him out for. 

There’s a few issues on this play and Oliver is only part of it - I think the bigger problem is that he has a way of just disappearing in big games.  Far too often he’s had a stat line on 0’s 

7 hours ago, Simon said:

Not that I'm doubting you but how would you know this ?

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

There’s a few issues on this play and Oliver is only part of it - I think the bigger problem is that he has a way of just disappearing in big games.  Far too often he’s had a stat line on 0’s 

Oliver seems to have developed into an above average player overall, but he’s limited in the run game. He’s undersized and uses quickness to get by OLmen. It is what it is. Again, I don’t think this play was on him. I think it was on Williams and/or the safety (Hamlin?).

Edited by BarleyNY