Ed Oliver - MIA

LabattBlue

2 hours ago, Simon said:

You realize he spent most of the night in a spy/contain role making sure Jackson couldn't hurt us with his feet?

And that the majority of the Ravens success in the run game came on the edges.

You want to complain about him being invisible (to you), talk to the coaches who assigned him that role.

The people moaning about the Dline are underestimating the cleverness of the Ravens plan. They designed their offense specifically to neutralise the Bills DLine. 

Could they have played better? Could one of them have made a play? Sure. But the Ravens plan was to take them out of the game and make the Bills 2nd level the critical point of failure.

25 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

He wasn’t always in a spy role.  Don’t be fooled Oliver had a bad game, as did DaQuan and the rest of the DL.  

Here he gets blasted out of the picture on this wham block.  Reminds me of the Indy game from a few years back.  

Ty Dunne knows seriously F**k all about Xs and Os.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Disagree 1

24 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

He wasn’t always in a spy role.  Don’t be fooled Oliver had a bad game, as did DaQuan and the rest of the DL.  

Here he gets blasted out of the picture on this wham block.  Reminds me of the Indy game from a few years back.  

#31 made a business decision and #3 just got roasted by a 45 year old RB.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

A 300 lb DT in a spy role against the fastest QB in the NFL?  If true, that is some brilliant scheming by McD and Babich. 😂

He wasn't spying

They were trying to play sound gap/contain vs a very physical and Baltimore oline

Oliver is borderline useless when he is asked to do anything other than pin his ears back tbh

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

He is too good of a player to be invisible for entire games. Different season, same player.  

😞

Put 500k in sack bonuses in his contract and see what happens.  Worked before.

Bottom line, he is too light in the arse. 

2 hours ago, Mango said:

It is likely because the back up LB’s and S’s can’t be trusted. 

I think the defense was benefited from a few opportunistic plays. I’ve been worried about Spector/Lewis being exposed for a few weeks. 

We can absorb Spector with Bernard/Milano. Lewis is a fine back up with a better safety tandem and/or both LB’s healthy. We’d feel better about Hamlin/Rapp if everybody in front was at 100%.

But as it stands now those guys all need everything to go right for them to be a consistently quality unit. 

it’s hard to tell ed Oliver to freelance and get up field instead of controlling lanes when you can’t trust the linebackers and safeties behind him to mop up 

• Thank you (+1) 1

A 300 lb DT in a spy role against the fastest QB in the NFL?  If true, that is some brilliant scheming by McD and Babich. 😂

Very true. Lamar would just run by Oliver like he was standing still.

Hamlin is the guy you want shadowing Lamar.

Hamlin would have put a stop to the nonsense 

• Haha (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The people moaning about the Dline are underestimating the cleverness of the Ravens plan. They designed their offense specifically to neutralise the Bills DLine. 

This is true. We have a penetration style defense that rushes upfield and the entire Ravens run game plan last night was to take advantage of that. Oliver got walloped a few times not because he did anything wrong but because he got wham blocked out of the play.

However on normal pass plays you have to admit we never once made Lamar Jackson uncomfortable except when we had the occasional successful blitz. On those plays it didn't look to me like it was a stylistic choice. It looked to me like guys up front weren't winning their matchups. Can't just give the QB a squeaky clean pocket on every play and excuse it away as a "contain rush." Someone up front has to get off a block and win their matchup.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

As an undersized 3tech he wins by getting small and sideways quickly...plays those inside angles well but this game they needed him to square up and fit his gap and he looked lost

He's Kyle williams

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is true. We have a penetration style defense that rushes upfield and the entire Ravens run game plan last night was to take advantage of that. Oliver got walloped a few times not because he did anything wrong but because he got wham blocked out of the play.

However on normal pass plays you have to admit we never once made Lamar Jackson uncomfortable except when we had the occasional successful blitz. On those plays it didn't look to me like it was a stylistic choice. It looked to me like guys up front weren't winning their matchups. Can't just give the QB a squeaky clean pocket on every play and excuse it away as a "contain rush." Someone up front has to get off a block and win their matchup.

Yea I agree with that. There just weren't a ton of "normal pass plays" from the Ravens. We never got them into enough pure dropback passing scenarios. And that is what you have to do to beat them.

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Thats funny. Lamar would embarrass Hamlin.  

17 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He wasn't spying

They were trying to play sound gap/contain vs a very physical and Baltimore oline

Oliver is borderline useless when he is asked to do anything other than pin his ears back tbh

I didn’t say he was. That was @Simon  

😉

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

That is so frustrating!!

Hamlin was so close to a game saving tackle !! Henry was just lucky !!

He is too good of a player to be invisible for entire games. Different season, same player.  

😞

Maybe he’s invisible because he’s not as good as you think…

Do you know how many times I watched him get pushed aside by the guard because his arms were too short to reach the body of the o-linemen?

Ed Oliver is not the answer…The Bills can and MUST do better at that all-too-important position if they want to have a dominant line…👍

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

it’s hard to tell ed Oliver to freelance and get up field instead of controlling lanes when you can’t trust the linebackers and safeties behind him to mop up 

I have not been a fan of Lewis/Spector this year. I’m no football X’s and O’s guru like some here but by my eye they have been flirting with being a liability based on instincts and ability to read and react properly. 

They have been bailed out a few times by players around them and a couple opportunistic turnovers. 

I said it in another thread, Cam Lewis is 2nd in tackles. He’s our nickel corner. His job isn’t just to tackle the pass catcher. He’s allowed to defend passes too.  He hasn't been good when targeted.

Opposing QB’s are 18/25 (72%), 1 TD, and a 102 Passer Rating against Lewis. 

Again, I think he’d be a better NCB with a better LB and S Corp around him. 

Edit: For reference, I have also been critical of Spector. PFF has him at a 40 on the season. lol. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 2