Ray Davis - What am I missing?

FireChans

28 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Good teams have backups ramp up in time to replace players (especially RBs) when their rookie contract is up. Cook is good but not great enough to survive the 2nd contract. Davis will step in and the cook money will go elsewhere.

The one position you don't hand out 2nd big money contract unless you are breaking in a rookie QB. Once you have a Franchise QB keep drafting and replacing. 

1 hour ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

I'm sorry but if Im Mcdermott I'm starting Ray Davis permanently over cook , even if cook is healthy. 

Ray Davis doesn't drop passes or have critical fumbles . Also, it seems to me that Ray Davis plays with a lot more heart than James Cook, fighting for extra yards etc. Which makes sense given how much he's had to endure in his personal life.

I am not going that far but depending on the opponent and game plan. Definitely see a use for both of them especially if one struggles. I would go with the hot hand game by game with Cook being the defacto starter for now.

2 hours ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

I'm sorry but if Im Mcdermott I'm starting Ray Davis permanently over cook , even if cook is healthy. 

Ray Davis doesn't drop passes or have critical fumbles . Also, it seems to me that Ray Davis plays with a lot more heart than James Cook, fighting for extra yards etc. Which makes sense given how much he's had to endure in his personal life.

Cook has no fumbles this year and is on pace for more yards than last year, though. 

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Not really...

He had some nice plays in the prior weeks...Bills kept trying to use him in situations where it was short yardage and their short yardage blocking sucks for the most part outside Allen sneaks. Not sure what you expect a back to do when he is being hit in the backfield on plays.

Well in one case he went under defense player but  he cannot do it every time.

1 hour ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Davis certainly looked like a different back last night compared to the previous weeks.  

Maybe just maybe that's because he was getting utilized in actual situations where the game wasn't already in the balance, like run out the clock time when the defense knows essentially what's coming. Also Rb's need to get into a rhythm. These are 2 things that stats do not reveal (not saying you're a stats over everything else person) and that casual watchers of the game tend to miss.

5 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Maybe just maybe that's because he was getting utilized in actual situations where the game wasn't already in the balance, like run out the clock time when the defense knows essentially what's coming. Also Rb's need to get into a rhythm. These are 2 things that stats do not reveal (not saying you're a stats over everything else person) and that casual watchers of the game tend to miss.

No he looked better than in his limited time before, he wasn't hitting the whole fast enough. Sometimes there's nothing there but you still need to hit the hole and get the 2-3 yards you can instead of a loss, he did that last night.

What was really great was he also looked like a great compliment to what Cook brings, he really laid some hits on guys.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

No he looked better than in his limited time before, he wasn't hitting the whole fast enough. Sometimes there's nothing there but you still need to hit the hole and get the 2-3 yards you can instead of a loss, he did that last night.

What was really great was he also looked like a great compliment to what Cook brings, he really laid some hits on guys.

Oy, ok on your first point...  Absolutely agree on your 2nd point.

2 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

I get what you’re saying, I’m just saying he looked really decisive and shifty and even powerful.  

• Like (+1) 1

Ray Davis looked like the second coming of Fred Jackson last night. 

Imo he looks better than Cook.  Much better vision, better body control and more agile, better bust and more physical and thus far his hands look better. 

I want more two back sets with both on the field. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 9/30/2024 at 11:15 AM, FireChans said:

Full disclosure - I didn't like the Ray Davis pick. However, he's a Bill now so that means I am going to root that he is the second coming of Thurman Thomas.

I saw a lot of love for the kid in preseason. Even some rumbling that if he could push Cook for the #1 job.

Now at the quarter mark of the season, I'm wondering what is going on.

Ray Davis' stats. 26 for 75 and 1 TD. Y/A is 2.9. 3 catches for 14 yards.

To my eye, it feels like whenever he is in the game, the defense is keying into the run. They are usually right, and it's almost always 2nd and medium that ends with 3rd and medium.

So how do the Bills get Davis going?

So did you find it?

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Ray Davis looked like the second coming of Fred Jackson last night. 

Imo he looks better than Cook.  Much better vision, better body control and more agile, better bust and more physical and thus far his hands look better. 

I want more two back sets with both on the field. 

LOL I was just to post he reminded me of Freddie last night. Always falling forward for two or three extra yards. I believe Aikman made a comment to that as well. 

And just like Fred, he will end up being the man! Cool.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Doesn’t have the body of work cook does to say he doesn’t fumble or drop passes.  Him not being on the field previously on passing downs should tell ya something about how the coaches feel.

Great runner. Gonna be a guy that needs to play for sure.  Cook is so much better as a runner and receiver.

not so sure he's a better receiver...(cook)....   watch some of the catches Ray made through college.   he was used as a pass catcher a lot

and has great hands.  cook is meh at catching.  

13 hours ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Some young backs run without fear, knowing each carry can mean the chance at a better life.  Financially, at least.  

11 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Davis certainly looked like a different back last night compared to the previous weeks.  

previously the only brought him in on no win situations against a loaded box where everyone knew 

he was going to carry the ball.   Jets werent able to just tee off on him last night.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I don’t want to take anything away from Davis but the run blocking last night was good and cook would’ve had a good night also imo 

Probably true- although interesting stat from cover 1:

It was either last week or for the whole season I can't exactly remember-, but cook had a 17 percent broken tackle rate.

Davis last night? 35 percent.

But yes to your point the run blocking was also very good 

Ray Davis played at Vanderbilt here in Nashville. Everyone loved the kid. Never any trouble. Team captain. Super smart. But James Cook is James Cook. Davis is going to be a great change of pace.