Ray Davis - What am I missing?

FireChans

He looked small and slow before last night, but he looked fast and powerful all of a sudden.

I think this gives room for the idea that Brady needs to figure out what the hell he wants to do.  There has to be a better way to use the pass catchers we have as well.

Let's hope the geniuses in our coaching staff find inspiration and get it sorted.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm sorry but if Im Mcdermott I'm starting Ray Davis permanently over cook , even if cook is healthy. 

Ray Davis doesn't drop passes or have critical fumbles . Also, it seems to me that Ray Davis plays with a lot more heart than James Cook, fighting for extra yards etc. Which makes sense given how much he's had to endure in his personal life.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

Just now, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

I'm sorry but if Im Mcdermott I'm starting Ray Davis permanently over cook , even if cook is healthy. 

Ray Davis doesn't drop passes or have critical fumbles . Also, it seems to me that Ray Davis plays with a lot more heart than James Cook, fighting for extra yards etc. Which makes sense given how much he's had to endure in his personal life.

Yes, this is the "I'm going to call into WGR and suggest trading Cook for Adams" vibe I've been looking forward to seeing today. Classic Mafia.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Dislike 1

I thought Davis played well against the Jets.  He was decisive and ran with power.  That's exactly what we need from him.  

Cook is a bit faster and can create his own opportunities. But he is fairly easy to bring down, dances too much, and can't catch a deep ball consistently. I think Cook should still start but he needs to keep learning how to be better.  Mix it up between them, it should work.

That said, I would almost never extend a RB for much over the minimum (healthy Henry and McCaffrey's of the world are the only exceptions).  It's such a high wear and tear position and there are a lot of people with the athletic ability to play the position.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, colin said:

He looked small and slow before last night, but he looked fast and powerful all of a sudden.

I think this gives room for the idea that Brady needs to figure out what the hell he wants to do.  There has to be a better way to use the pass catchers we have as well.

Let's hope the geniuses in our coaching staff find inspiration and get it sorted.

This is the first game he has gotten any significant touches. He only had a handful throughout the season up to this point. So, any opinion about him you had was based on a very small sample size.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, colin said:

Not really...

He had some nice plays in the prior weeks...Bills kept trying to use him in situations where it was short yardage and their short yardage blocking sucks for the most part outside Allen sneaks. Not sure what you expect a back to do when he is being hit in the backfield on plays.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He seems like a nice young man and a capable running back, but hold your horses, because much like when you go bowling for the first time in ten years, your first game is typically REALLY good, and then your second game leaves you scratching your head and asking yourself "what just happened?". 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, MJS said:

This is the first game he has gotten any significant touches. He only had a handful throughout the season up to this point. So, any opinion about him you had was based on a very small sample size.

What else was I going to base it on?

1 hour ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Doesn’t have the body of work cook does to say he doesn’t fumble or drop passes.  Him not being on the field previously on passing downs should tell ya something about how the coaches feel.

Great runner. Gonna be a guy that needs to play for sure.  Cook is so much better as a runner and receiver.

• Agree 1