Ray Davis - What am I missing?

FireChans

4 hours ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

Kentucky football fan. Loved Ray Davis at Kentucky but he was athletically limited and I was always skeptical about how he would translate to the NFL. He's a dime a dozen back at this level. I'm sure McBeane fell in love with his story (which is inspiring no doubt) and overlooked his clear limitations. It is what it is.

Also a UK fan. Agree on the physical limits. But think he’s being used wrong. He could be really good on passing downs. Has better hands than Cook and probably a better blocker. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

Probably would help if we don’t run him into the side of the defense that the Ravens have overloaded, plus Hamilton down in the box.  

Our run looks are hilariously obvious at times. 

They drafted him though, because he a very good receiving back that fits into our offense that throws to the backs. 

Yeah, I agree about the obvious run looks. If I recall correctly, we had a run with Mack Hollins as our only wideout on the field. I’m willing to sellout to stop the run if Hollins is the only WR on the field. 

I really wanted us to Draft Braelon Allen. He seemed to be the perfect contrast to Cook in my eyes and he was only one of a few RB's we met with at the Combine. The Jets obviously thought the same, Drafting him after Ray Davis  to compliment Breece Hall (a very similar back to Cook). He's turning heads in New York and many are calling for him to be the lead Back over Hall - https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/jets-braelon-allen-outplaying-hall-as-rusher/

It's still early for Davis and he may turn out to be the better Back. But 4 games in, i'm still scratching my head on Davis over Allen.

I really don't think the Bills run game has improved as much as people think, but that doesn't mean it hasn't improved at all.

Cook's averaging 12 carries a game. When Davis comes in, it's a pretty obvious run play. At least we run some plays under center, but that just tells the D we're running too. I'm not sure Davis can do much to separate himself given the split carries & the situations in which he comes in.

I don't feel like we're creative or committed enough when it comes to the run game. Then again, 2 of the games were blowouts & the runs were meant to kill clock. The Ravens were a real test, but we failed miserably on all fronts.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Agree 1

I was asking the all 22 guys last week why he isn't getting more play. I really liked what I have seen from him when he runs w the 1st team. 

Those numbers are skewed, as most carries were in garbage time, D knows we're running...

10 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I'm not all that impressed with him and I wasn't before this game either. It also doesn't help that the Bills are pretty predictable in their playcalling.  They almost never take a shot on 2nd down for instance.  Last week was a little different but this is 3 weeks out of 4 that they have been like this.

You must have LOVED that QB sneak call on 2nd and inches.

17 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The issue is how they are using him and Cook.  They keep pulling Cook to run a handoff or two to Davis when there is no reason to pull Cook out.

RB’s need rhythm, and expecting a rookie to come in cold and succeed on the next carry and pull him back out isn’t an approach that is going to win a lot.

2nd issue is he also got carries when we were obviously running in blow out wins to chew clock in 2 games.  So that’s gonna also hurt his YPC.  

I am still very high on him, but they need to let Cook get in rhythm and bring Davis in when Cook needs a rest and let Davis run some consecutive snaps to also get into a flow.  I hate how they are rotating them now.  

Agreed, the RB does best in a rhythm.

Just now, Not at the table Karlos said:

And in regular season up until Monday night when the whole team looked terrible. Now everyone forgets the good he’s done and only reacts to the last game. People are weird. 

It's like these boards have a one-week memory

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been beating the drum for this guy (i've made no secret about it) and you guys are finally seeing what i saw from him in college......he is a beast and the perfect guy when you need those tough yards.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I've been beating the drum for this guy (i've made no secret about it) and you guys are finally seeing what i saw from him in college......he is a beast and the perfect guy when you need those tough yards.

The icing on the cake would have been to give him the 3rd down call to end the game with a first down.  He would also have got his 100-yard game

• Like (+1) 1