Ray Davis - What am I missing?

FireChans

Full disclosure - I didn't like the Ray Davis pick. However, he's a Bill now so that means I am going to root that he is the second coming of Thurman Thomas.

I saw a lot of love for the kid in preseason. Even some rumbling that if he could push Cook for the #1 job.

Now at the quarter mark of the season, I'm wondering what is going on.

Ray Davis' stats. 26 for 75 and 1 TD. Y/A is 2.9. 3 catches for 14 yards.

To my eye, it feels like whenever he is in the game, the defense is keying into the run. They are usually right, and it's almost always 2nd and medium that ends with 3rd and medium.

So how do the Bills get Davis going?

• Like (+1) 6

Probably would help if we don’t run him into the side of the defense that the Ravens have overloaded, plus Hamilton down in the box.  

Our run looks are hilariously obvious at times. 

They drafted him though, because he a very good receiving back that fits into our offense that throws to the backs. 

• Like (+1) 1

The issue is how they are using him and Cook.  They keep pulling Cook to run a handoff or two to Davis when there is no reason to pull Cook out.

RB’s need rhythm, and expecting a rookie to come in cold and succeed on the next carry and pull him back out isn’t an approach that is going to win a lot.

2nd issue is he also got carries when we were obviously running in blow out wins to chew clock in 2 games.  So that’s gonna also hurt his YPC.  

I am still very high on him, but they need to let Cook get in rhythm and bring Davis in when Cook needs a rest and let Davis run some consecutive snaps to also get into a flow.  I hate how they are rotating them now.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Full disclosure - I didn't like the Ray Davis pick. However, he's a Bill now so that means I am going to root that he is the second coming of Thurman Thomas.

I saw a lot of love for the kid in preseason. Even some rumbling that if he could push Cook for the #1 job.

To my eye, it feels like whenever he is in the game, the defense is keying into the run. They are usually right, and it's almost always 2nd and medium that ends with 3rd and medium.

Brady has become predictable with 2nd and short to run Davis.  That's why his numbers are skewed to 2.9 yards per carry.  

We have to not make it obvious we are running.

I saw the Ravens run blitz each 2nd and short.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

Kentucky football fan. Loved Ray Davis at Kentucky but he was athletically limited and I was always skeptical about how he would translate to the NFL. He's a dime a dozen back at this level. I'm sure McBeane fell in love with his story (which is inspiring no doubt) and overlooked his clear limitations. It is what it is.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Brady has become predictable with 2nd and short to run Davis.  That's why his numbers are skewed to 2.9 yards per carry.  

Wondering if this is part of a long game to put vanilla tendencies on tape earlier in the season to hit teams with counters down the stretch when it really matters. At least I'm hoping so lol

• Like (+1) 1

It seems every time they bring him in and give him the ball their is a free rusher in his face the second he gets the ball.  

Would love to see them come out and throw him a wheel route and have him make a big play so they can stop just attacking when he is in the game.

• Agree 1

maybe they design a gadget play where he lines up as the QB, and our All-Pro QB lines up as nose tackle.  We need to get creative here.

sorry, still irate about that play call, as you can see.

Edited by 8BallSippin
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Great observation and question.  I'd start by doing some play action when Davis is in, lighten the box, then run him.  Yesterday when he was in OL missed blocks, etc. 

He does too much dancing behind the line of scrimmage to my eyes.   I'd rather just see Cook out there TBH.   I'm not even sure what he brings to the table that Cook doesn't offer.   I like Ty Johnson better as a blocker and even pass catcher.  That 4th rd pick would have been better spent on receiver.  

Same things were being said about Cook in his rookie year.   Backups get limited practice snaps, add to that dealing with a rookie so not all that surprised.  Unless a rookie is the starter right from week 1, it seems to take until late in the season for them to finally figure things out as they just don't get enough practice time.

Will be interesting to see how Bishop does if Rapp is out. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Like motions or play action?.........none of which happened last night.

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He hasn't been impressive at all IMO. Ty Johnson is flat out the better RB at this point.

heard about it

On 4/27/2024 at 7:39 AM, GoBills808 said:

We have ty Johnson

Why do we need another of him

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Did anybody else see Cook’s facial expression when he came out early in the game? He was incredibly frustrated. 

yeah how do you pull a guy in the middle of a 9/39 night