It's still coaching

Herb

12 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

I knew it was gonna be a long night when the bills defence opened up with two deep safeties and were in nickel against a power run team.

Sometimes I just don't understand what this coaching staff is thinking

I'm with you.

It's like this coaching staff will live and die by the nickel......even when it's not working or doesn't make sense, they won't adjust.

It's maddening and frustrating as a fan watching it all unfold.

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Love the accountability and recognition

He has to because in eight years McDermott has never taken responsibility. He loves the "It starts with me line", but then the special teams coordinator is gone, Leslie is fired and then Dorsey. Hmmmm...

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillsMontreal said:

Oliver clearly has to contain-spy all the game. It was not flashing but he did a good job. Then, i dont know if it was a good idea. We totally lost his ability to disturb a play.

I would say then if it wasnt Oliver and he was just doing what the coaches said then this was probably not a great game plan... agreed. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/30/2024 at 5:58 AM, Doc Brown said:

I'd be more concerned if we only squeaked by the Fins and Jags.  The optimist in me tells me this game was the perfect storm of desperation by the Ravens, a poorly prepared Bills team feeling themselves playing at half speed on a short week, a defense exploited in the middle that desperately needs T. Johnson and Bernard back, and Josh Allen still developing chemistry with his new WR's (I hate we didn't do more to address the position this off-season).  We'll see what this team is made of the next two weeks.

My theory is that the coaches don’t feel too bad about this loss.  They knew that they would be short handed on D.  The Ravens got King Henry so they weren’t surprised by the runaway train.  They know they’ll see them again so why show them everything.  Save it for the playoffs.  My guess is Ravens showed us everything because they needed this game.  We’ll be ready next time, IF healthy.  Our second line guys won’t stop King Henry under any circumstances.  From a psych stand point, the team probably was getting the big head about the elite bs.   Now they have their attention. Texans will copy the Ravens but it won’t work IF we get some starters back.  Big IF.

• Thank you (+1) 2

20 hours ago, T master said:

AFC East Championship EXCUSE ME !!! 

Knox & Kincaid returning yep you right second year player with a new coordinator & his entire scheme & by the look of last night Braday has all but forgotten about Knox, Samuel although a vet is learning a entirely new offense, and chemistry is not something that is developed in a couple of games . 

And in the pre season do you mean 3 games that Josh had exactly ONE series in yep now that a lot of time to build in game chemistry .  Preseason is more than the games.  Like, um, practice, training camp, etc..  

So please tell me who di you pick that could walk into McD's spot and have the instant gratification that you so desire ? I mean the minute that they enter the building everything points to a Lombardi that we all want .

The coach in Jacksonville a SB winning coach is doing a great job in his second year, Um I see Denver going to a SB with their SB winning coach this year don't you ?  Likely either of those guys are better with JA than the overrated QB in Jax and the rookie in Denver.  

There's only 1 coach that MAYBE just might be able to walk in the door and give you what you want immediately but he's not quitting his job in KC & i don't se Shanahan leaving SF any time soon .

Oh wait there is Pete Carol & Bellichek, 🤔 

and, I'm not the GM.  But rolling out the same staff over and over again that does the same thing over and over again (not prepared, big in game blunders, etc) is insane.  

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Mark80 said:

You do realize we are missing our 2 best linebackers and an all-pro CB, right?  My lord.  It's the NFL, sometimes good teams lose to good teams.  Some  times good teams lose to bad teams.  This was our first lost by more than 6 points in over 40 f'n games.  You need to RELAX.  If we don't have that stupid gimmick play that Josh fumbled, we very well may have maintained the momentum and won that game.

One play doesn’t account for 35-10.

On 9/30/2024 at 6:30 AM, colin said:

We are a poor man's version of the packers of the 2010s -- HOF QB who can do it all and an unconfident team built to dominate bad teams but simply cannot deliver vs a talented and well coached opponent.

No more callers!!!

We have a winner.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Sorry for the late post after the "no more callers" post. 🥴

The two central issues that bother me about the current Bills team are:

1. Not enough talent / game changer players.  This is a GM problem.  We have good players at many positions but no great ones except for QB.  I think this year we have less talent than we've had since probably 2019.  Don't give me the injuries excuse BTW, they happen in a collision sport.

2. I think McDermott's basic defensive philosophy is just flat wrong.  You can beat bad and mediocre teams, but when the chips are down, especially in the playoffs, we will never get there IMO.  Players are just too small, and the penetration objective on the DL can be beaten as we have seen many times over the last few years.

I measure success as playoff success. If you are ok with regular season success, fine.  Thank goodness the drought is over.  But I just don't think you are ever going to get past one playoff victory per year with the current coaching and GM philosophy.

• Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

15 hours ago, Sweats said:

I'm with you.

It's like this coaching staff will live and die by the nickel......even when it's not working or doesn't make sense, they won't adjust.

It's maddening and frustrating as a fan watching it all unfold.

When you have Taron Johnson, that nickel is 100% the right call on almost every down.

When you're missing him and both Milano and Bernard, you're mostly hosed no matter what you run.

• Like (+1) 2

The idiocy and worst kind of (willful( ignorance of a post like this is revealed in much of the nonsense he spewed, but this one says it all, defines the post as complete junk:  "We fans have witnessed countless performances in McDermott's tenure that have defied logic in terms of how well your QB performed and how the games ultimately turned out when it really mattered most."

The "countless performances"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only is that complete BS, not in any way true, and obviously so, this team has lost very few games since McD and Beane (as I assume if I go and read his comments on other threads, his hates is likely spewed equally between the two men)  took  over this team. And almost no games lost by more than one score.

Yikes, sad, pathetic, nonsensical post and words. Countless performances!!!

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Eyeroll 2

On 10/1/2024 at 8:32 AM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He has to because in eight years McDermott has never taken responsibility. He loves the "It starts with me line", but then the special teams coordinator is gone, Leslie is fired and then Dorsey. Hmmmm...

Kudos to McDermott for having the balls to replace guys he seemed were failing in their jobs, remember when Wade Phillips elected to get fired than let go of his buddy Ronnie Jones go?  Which guy would you want? I pick the first. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/30/2024 at 3:31 PM, What a Tuel said:

it took one. one loss. One loss for people to jump on the "trash everything, McDermotts the problem" nonsense again lmao. 

I keep hearing Celia in my head... Bills win this week its gonna be "Jubilation she loves me again" lol.... long season lets see what happens... we knew there were problems and transitions to make... clearly we were not wrong.  One thing is for sure the team yes... but the coaches were schooled beyond belief masterful coaching performance from Harbaugh and staff... 

10 hours ago, notpolian said:

Sorry for the late post after the "no more callers" post. 🥴

The two central issues that bother me about the current Bills team are:

1. Not enough talent / game changer players.  This is a GM problem.  We have good players at many positions but no great ones except for QB.  I think this year we have less talent than we've had since probably 2019.  Don't give me the injuries excuse BTW, they happen in a collision sport.

2. I think McDermott's basic defensive philosophy is just flat wrong.  You can beat bad and mediocre teams, but when the chips are down, especially in the playoffs, we will never get there IMO.  Players are just too small, and the penetration objective on the DL can be beaten as we have seen many times over the last few years.

I measure success as playoff success. If you are ok with regular season success, fine.  Thank goodness the drought is over.  But I just don't think you are ever going to get past one playoff victory per year with the current coaching and GM philosophy.

It certainly feels like it. With the exception of the one time, they went to the AFCCG it seems like McDermott's ceiling is the divisional round. We seem to lose in this round a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Simon said:

When you have Taron Johnson, that nickel is 100% the right call on almost every down.

When you're missing him and both Milano and Bernard, you're mostly hosed no matter what you run.

It wasn't in the Wind Game

• Eyeroll 1

McD and Beane are attached at the hip, the are both a problem. Bills wasted all summer running Hollins with ones and twos like he’s an actual player. Three straight seasons they have ***** up the WR room while they have a generational talent at QB. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Simon said:

People don’t understand that just because something we did went badly doesn’t mean something we could’ve done wouldn’t have gone worse 😂. It’s pretty amusing honestly.  Idk who these good linebackers our supposedly stupid coaches refused to play are that everyone is suggesting totally exist haha 

• Like (+1) 2

People are forgetting that this is a re-load year and we have 2 rookie coordinators to boot. You don’t trade your best WR and take a 31 million dead cap hit if you are in win now mode. 

That loss was 90% coaching. Both coordinators sht the bed with their game plans. I have no idea why they consistently played light boxes against the Ravens heavy personnel and got steam rolled as a result. The plan should have been to sell out against the run, close the middle of the field and make Lamar throw outside the numbers. It’s mind boggling they went with light/neutral boxes.

On offense, except for that horrific trick play, it’s a little harder to evaluate Brady because our O-line just stunk. Everyone had a bad game and Josh was pressured constantly. Hard to develop any flow when you are getting destroyed in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

We got blown out. It happens but not very often to us (44 games). How they respond against Houston will tell us a lot about the rest of the season and direction of this team.

• Like (+1) 1

The Zero Tolerance for Errors crowd is in full swing after a loss.

We can fire people until we get the desired results, high turnover is successful. It has worked for Cleveland and others, right?

• Like (+1) 1