It's still coaching

Herb

7 hours ago, mrags said:

That by the way nobody on the defensive side was fooled. 

Because it was bad play design.  I mean yeah, I think Coleman was gonna be open for a big gain but they put Josh right behind the runner that pitched it to him (forgot who.) Not only is that not going to fool people but even if it did, Josh was a yard away.  Just keep running at the ball lol.

2 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Is a random week 4 game a “big one?”

Anytime you are playing a super bowl competitor in your conference, its a big game. They are last years 1 seed. The Bills want to be the 1 seed. This could be the difference in seeding, so yes its a big game.

• Like (+1) 1

That debacle last night reminded me exactly of how we lost (got routed) by the Colts 44 games ago. It was the last time the Bills lost by more than 6 pts.  We came out last night unmotivated and unprepared. That's a big coaching issue. I've never been a McD fan but was so hoping we could sustain focus. We've never started our obligatory mid season lull until October. Our defense is without veteran Safety leadership and our best LB is hurt again.  There has to be a way to activate an up- tempo offense when the game gets out of hand like last night.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That debacle last night reminded me exactly of how we lost (got routed) by the Colts 44 games ago. It was the last time the Bills lost by more than 6 pts.  We came out last night unmotivated and unprepared. That's a big coaching issue. I've never been a McD fan but was so hoping we could sustain focus. We've never started our obligatory mid season lull until October. Our defense is without veteran Safety leadership and our best LB is hurt again.  There has to be a way to activate an up- tempo offense when the game gets out of hand like last night.

I knew it was gonna be a long night when the bills defence opened up with two deep safeties and were in nickel against a power run team.

Sometimes I just don't understand what this coaching staff is thinking

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

I knew it was gonna be a long night when the bills defence opened up with two deep safeties and were in nickel against a power run team.

Sometimes I just don't understand what this coaching staff is thinking

And let's not kid ourselves.  Hamlin & Rapp are NOT starting safeties. Douglas played poorly last night, as did our DL.  We obviously miss Taron, Matt & Terrel desperately.  The inconsistencies of our DL and Sean's incessant rotation are so frustrating.  That Brady epic FAIL trick play not only destroyed any chance to rally but it damn near ended Josh's season.

I'm never going to ask Sean or Joe to be like Andy or Spags. But just don't lose a game on collective stupidity and a lack of motivation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Joe Marino's all 22 breakdown of the game is up on his locked on bills youtube channel.

he's always pretty sober and on this one his biggest 3 duds of the game (no studs) were babich, brady, and mcd.  basically we got trucked with light boxes and the ball carrier averaged 5.5 yards pre contact on D, and on O it mighta been worse.

he blamed the players too, but the reality is baltimore dared us to do "what we do" and we took the bait and the line ran past into space and the back 7 just sucked.  o was predictable and weak.

i did like the comment by brady that it was a badly called game, that's strong accountability.  he's gotta show out vs houston now.

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, QCity said:

Those first 3 teams have combined for a total of 2 wins so far this year, so....yeah.

The Dolphins lost Tua.  This is a stupid argument.  

I guess pump the brakes on the Commanders and Daniels to then.  Giants, Bengals, AZ - 3 combined wins?  

This remains a week to week league. Matchups.  Talent.  And current health all together make your previous game meaningless toward the next game.  

And Jacksonville should have won in Houston.  

McD punting on 4th and short proves he trust his  defense to make a stop (which never happens) instead of 6'-5" Josh Allen to fall forward for a 1st down. McD will never learn and will prevent Josh Allen from winning it all. It's such a shame.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Every loss is on coaching and every win is on the players…makes sense

When you've got a guy in Josh at your disposal, you have to give him complete control of the offense whenever you face a team you absolutely can't stop. McDermott has never just trusted Josh to handle 100% of the playcalling duties. What are we paying him for but this?

10 hours ago, Fan in San Diego said:

I didn't think we were going to win the super bowl this year. I thought we would find our last weaknesses this year and draft to fix them next year.

If only we had the right coaches in place for such things.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, colin said:

It really is coaching.

We are built small, so a bully like Baltimore is gonna beat us more often than not.

Our coaches really make sure we cant win by being just so easy to read.

If the bills don't dial up the right exact call on d (playing rock paper scissors) then schematically what will beat us is just too obvious.  Misdirection, power runs, and anything that finds the hole in the zone is always gonna be there.  On top of that our zero talent middle of the d is very welcoming of big runs and yards after catching.

On the other side, our wrs don't match up, so they need longer to get sched open vs talented and physical ds, and our oline (and QB, josh is pretty awful at reading where the pressure is coming from pre snap vs aggressive ds) just simply cannot pick up blitzes or handle stunts.

This game looked just like the cinci playoff game.  They knew what they were gonna do, back up linemen on o were just gonna blast forward and they used quick misdirection to bait the dl up the field and have our tiny back 7 get out of position early and it was a wrap.

The whole MO of a mcd team is to have the d frustrate the opponent who will then make mistakes and just give the o enough possessions for super josh to invent points out of thin air on broken plays.  He's so bull headed that he can't dial up a different way to slow down and opponent.  It works great vs crappy qbs and coaches, but as soon as a team has some ability to scheme (coaches and players alike) he has no answers.

If we didn't allow the big run to start the game and had better execution on O then this loss would have looked like our KC playoffs loss last year -- we get steamrolled constantly and Josh has enough magic to make it interesting leading to the awful play of our kicker losing the game instead of just being sad.

We are a poor man's version of the packers of the 2010s -- HOF QB who can do it all and an unconfident team built to dominate bad teams but simply cannot deliver vs a talented and well coached opponent.

You got it, my friend. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, JP51 said:

I do think the Bills formula for success this year will be hold them to field goals and score TDs...  BTW surprized I have seen this... where was Ed Oliver last night... was he hurt or just wildly ineffective. 

Oliver clearly has to contain-spy all the game. It was not flashing but he did a good job. Then, i dont know if it was a good idea. We totally lost his ability to disturb a play.

On 9/30/2024 at 5:14 AM, Matt_In_NH said:

Why is scoring quickly better than scoring period?   I think possessing the ball is pretty important against an opponent that is running the ball effectively.  

I think the OP is trying to say, attempting to go slow to control time of possession is not what is optimal for the Bills particular offense.  And that the Bills offensive strategy should be to do whatever is optimal to score points, and not have to worry about protecting the defense.