It's still coaching

Herb

10 hours ago, Herb said:

It seems that nearly every time the experts start talking about us being an elite team, we have an inevitable crashing back down to 🌎. As a head coach, you have to realize very quickly that you have absolutely no answer for the opposing team running the ball and dominating the time of possession. The only answer to this reality is to score quickly whenever you possess the ball. McDermott has largely coached just well enough to sustain his job. We fans have witnessed countless performances in McDermott's tenure that have defied logic in terms of how well your QB performed and how the games ultimately turned out when it really mattered most. This was our first real test of a playoff atmosphere where a team at home needed a win. 35-10 the way we did it says everything to me.

Theoretically, if a head coach would design the perfect QB to run a full no-huddle offense, who would that be? 🙄

If it's coaching when we lose, is it not coaching when we win?

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Roundybout said:

We should bring in a proven winning coach like Rex Ryan instead 

In the end, does it really matter if you can’t win the SuperBowl?

McD is blessed with an amazing QB, and most probably won’t do anything with him.

if you’re not first, you’re last.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Savage said:

They were terribly outcoached.

the Bills had no answers.

a McDermott masterpiece.

I'm just a casual fan, but he often appears to be content paying out a half of a defensive game plan, when its apparent its not working in the first 10 minutes.  Why not make the changes earlier?  The defense was much better after the half.  Nothing impresses me about McDermott.  Nice guy, good coach.  Far to rigid in my amateur opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Herb said:

More Josh Allen when we win.

Of course.  God forbid your narrative would be ruined.  That said, the coordinator battle was won by the Ravens last night to be sure.  They need to watch film and learn from this one.  But when the coaching staff continually bottles up the Fish offense with Hill and Waddle, is that also Josh?

• Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If it's coaching when we lose, is it not coaching when we win?

The Miami and Jacksonville games were definitely coaching having our talent prepared and ready to perform, and great gameplans and schemes ready.

There have been plenty of games where we werent as ready as we could be, but Josh and our talent bailed us out. Josh is good for 9-10 wins each year just on his own, even when coaching is having an off day. That is why we have a ton of regular season wins (when superior talent like Josh will hide team flaws) but then fall flat in the playoffs where all teams have talent and it comes down to coaching.

Last night was a pure coaching debacle. The players were not in the right headspace or at all prepared to compete with Baltimore's physicality. And our play-calling on both sides of the ball rarely put our guys in a position to succeed.

Anyways, on to Houston.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If Josh doesnt make a Josh throw they score 3 points. They had guys running free at Josh all night. The Ravens kept crowding the line and bringing guys free to get it out of Josh’s hands fast. 

The way you counter that is with draws and screens. The Bills ran none of these. 

The other side of the ball was an utter disaster As McDermott had no answers for the Ravens running game. Having no LB depth and not even attempting to turn Lamar into a passer was disgusting. 

Coaching played a part but we have holes on this roster and everything came to a head tonight. 

Very aggravated at the playcalling.  Run for 7 on first, then run again for -1.  That is like the bad old days and better not carry over to the rest of the season

I need to know........why can McD not win big games?

It seems our D always falls apart at big moments, but why is this?

Why are they never prepared for the big games and why do they always look like they've never coached a game before? It's like they are lost, confused, ill prepared.

Anyone?

10 minutes ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

I think it's time to embrace the dark side. "Trust the process" Mc Clappy isn't working. 

Bill Belichick Binoculars GIF by Barstool Sports

I'd sell my soul to the devil to have that guy coach the Bills.  Sorry he's a prick, but with Allen, rings would happen, zero doubt in my mind.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 8BallSippin said:

I'd sell my soul to the devil to have that guy coach the Bills.  Sorry he's a prick, but with Allen, rings would happen, zero doubt in my mind.

13 seconds definitely doesn't happen with him coaching us. I remember his Patriots team shutting down the Colts in the playoffs (and MVP Manning) by basically mugging every receiver every play knowing the refs weren't going to call it every time. Polian complained to the league but didn't matter. Patriots got the win playing dirty. That 13 second game he would have probably had every Bills defender mug the Chiefs receivers at the line, get the holding penalties but kill clock. 

I'm completely ok with a little bit of cheating to win. Patriots did it. 49ers did it with Rice (who wore stickum). Dolphins did it when Shula was on the officiating committee. Broncos did it. None of their rings got taken away. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Why are they never prepared for the big games and why do they always look like they've never coached a game before? It's like they are lost, confused, ill prepared.

Anyone?

they do win big games, they beat the Chiefs at home many times, in convincing fashion- regular season.  I think McDermott is too inflexible, he can't seem to make changes on the fly.   He's not a bad coach, a solid DC.  Again, he John Fox Jr.  Just hasn't got the final oomph.  Andy Reid couldn't get there either, then got Mahommes.  Maybe McDermott will have his day, just painful to be so close and never be able to make the final push. 

2 minutes ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

13 seconds definitely doesn't happen with him coaching us. I remember his Patriots team shutting down the Colts in the playoffs (and MVP Manning) by basically mugging every receiver every play knowing the refs weren't going to call it every time. Polian complained to the league but didn't matter. Patriots got the win playing dirty. That 13 second game he would have probably had every Bills defender mug the Chiefs receivers at the line, get the holding penalties but kill clock. 

I'm completely ok with a little bit of cheating to win. Patriots did it. 49ers did it with Rice (who wore stickum). Dolphins did it when Shula was on the officiating committee. Broncos did it. None of their rings got taken away. 

he did have the greatest QB of all time, but you are right, nobody game planned a defense like BB.  He has an aura about him, and you just feel confident he has every contingency planned out.  I'd like to see him here, and how we feel about that guy, who cares if the rings come.  

I just think McDermott has hit his ceiling in the role.

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Anyone?

Why do we think the 4th game of the season is a big game?  We stunk last night.  Coaches and players need to take lessons away and do better next week.

35 minutes ago, 8BallSippin said:

I agree, he's going to coach tough, but bring I'd sign up for it. 

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

you could take the Bean approach and trade down to draft a #2 WR in Coleman.  Or, humm, perhaps trade for Hopkins or Adams.   

yeah, pounding on 3 teams with a combined 2 wins demonstrated that this is a well-coached team.  Nevermind the year over years of being unprepared for big games, and rediculous playoff losses.  

And the 4 AFC championships & not loosing a game until last night by more than 7 points in some 40 some games & being in the play offs for what 6 years in a row yah he sucks you got me !! 

Oh too the entirely new WR room & 2 new coordinators, injuries to all pro players too this year nothing to over come there . Sorry i forgot about those things .

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, 8BallSippin said:

As much as i don't like the guy, he got so much out of so little with his rosters.

10 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Why do we think the 4th game of the season is a big game?  We stunk last night.  Coaches and players need to take lessons away and do better next week.

Well, the primetime spotlight for one.......an AFC opponent that will see the playoffs for sure and a generally overall good team.

That's how i see it as a big game.

6 minutes ago, Sweats said:

As much as i don't like the guy, he got so much out of so little with his rosters.

Well, the primetime spotlight for one.......an AFC opponent that will see the playoffs for sure and a generally overall good team.

That's how i see it as a big game.

Hes 6-2 on SNF. lol.