It's still coaching

Herb

3 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I knew it was going to be a long night when McD punted on fourth and two from the fifty during the first possession. I understand it’s risky, but it showed we were prepared to coach conservatively against this opponent. 

Exactly the moment for me as well. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Danger Mouse said:

If we win, it's to the Superbowl we go!

If we lose, it's sack the coaches!

And so it goes for the rest of the year .... 

Losses are part of the game. Sometimes it’s how you lose that really matters. 13 seconds being one of them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's both.   And to say anything other is ignorant.  The coaches didn't tell Spector, and Lewis to not get the right depth.   They didn't tell Dorian Williams to get toasted in coverage or for the entire team to stop tackling well.   They didn't tell the oline to not show up or the wideouts to drop passes.   They didn't tell dlinemen to get fooled on misdirection over and over again.

The coach made massive mistakes but this was a total team loss.   Football isn't baseball with some goofball in a jersey doing little to nothing but it also isn't all coaching.  It's the one sport that takes great players and great coaches to do well.

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

It's both.   And to say anything other is ignorant.  The coaches didn't tell Spector, and Lewis to not get the right depth.   They didn't tell Dorian Williams to get toasted in coverage or for the entire team to stop tackling well.   They didn't tell the oline to not show up or the wideouts to drop passes.   They didn't tell dlinemen to get fooled on misdirection over and over again.

The coach made massive mistakes but this was a total team loss.   Football isn't baseball with some goofball in a jersey doing little to nothing but it also isn't all coaching.  It's the one sport that takes great players and great coaches to do well.

I don’t disagree.  However come playoff time no matter how many great players you have, if you are out coached and out schemed, it’s enough to get you booted.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

4 hours ago, Herb said:

It seems that nearly every time the experts start talking about us being an elite team, we have an inevitable crashing back down to 🌎. As a head coach, you have to realize very quickly that you have absolutely no answer for the opposing team running the ball and dominating the time of possession. The only answer to this reality is to score quickly whenever you possess the ball. McDermott has largely coached just well enough to sustain his job. We fans have witnessed countless performances in McDermott's tenure that have defied logic in terms of how well your QB performed and how the games ultimately turned out when it really mattered most. This was our first real test of a playoff atmosphere where a team at home needed a win. 35-10 the way we did it says everything to me.

Theoretically, if a head coach would design the perfect QB to run a full no-huddle offense, who would that be? 🙄

we lost that game in the trenches....Josh couldn't establish anything in the passing game and Jackson had all day to throw the ball at times. 

• Like (+1) 1

From what i did watch (of what i could stomach) we were outplayed and out coached......our D **** the bed yet again in another big game. The whole team was ill prepared to play and had no idea what to expect from the Ravens. They looked lost, confused, scared.

I don't really care about losses, whether by one point or 100.....a loss is a loss.

Brady's play calling was horrendous and McD looked like a deer in the headlights. When we're beating up on bad teams, it's Superbowl.......when we get manhandled and a major beatdown on primetime, it's blow up everything and fire everybody.

You can't complain about McD's overall body of work, however, his body of work against good teams is becoming stale, old and unimpressive at this point.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Sweats said:

From what i did watch (of what i could stomach) we were outplayed and out coached......our D **** the bed yet again in another big game. The whole team was ill prepared to play and had no idea what to expect from the Ravens. They looked lost, confused, scared.

I don't really care about losses, whether by one point or 100.....a loss is a loss.

Brady's play calling was horrendous and McD looked like a deer in the headlights. When we're beating up on bad teams, it's Superbowl.......when we get manhandled and a major beatdown on primetime, it's blow up everything and fire everybody.

You can't complain about McD's overall body of work, however, his body of work against good teams is becoming stale, old and unimpressive at this point.

I've often thought and prolly commented that the bills play down to their competition.  That's really not been true for like 3 years.  They obliterate cream puffs, and rest starters late in those games, or at least one phase turns into a pumpkin vs tough teams.  

When we look at just this season, the d was cheeks vs zona and so we're the special teams, but Josh Allen became magic and we beat a bad team.  Miami was a story of our d lighting them up because similar to us they are a one trick pony, and we played efficiently on O.  The jags are a dumpster fire and that showed when we played them.

Baltimore is exactly the kind of team we lose to and look weak doing so, even when the game is close like it was in the playoffs last yr vs KC.  Physical and dirty on d, talent on O.  

We take away the deep pass always, even vs teams that won't even try them, and hope our small slow zero talent lb and safety squad can slow down the run.  We also love getting misdirected.

On o, we don't have anything on the outside and like to just not involve cook and kinkaid, our only talented weapons, and nothing excites is more than having no answer for blitzes and stunts.

How did we not have any screens or quick outs to tes and rbs all night?  Why did cook come off the field on running downs?  Our coaches think they are smarter than the rest of the NFL, and they are not, they just do great smashing the trash

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, colin said:

I've often thought and prolly commented that the bills play down to their competition.  That's really not been true for like 3 years.  They obliterate cream puffs, and rest starters late in those games, or at least one phase turns into a pumpkin vs tough teams.  

When we look at just this season, the d was cheeks vs zona and so we're the special teams, but Josh Allen became magic and we beat a bad team.  Miami was a story of our d lighting them up because similar to us they are a one trick pony, and we played efficiently on O.  The jags are a dumpster fire and that showed when we played them.

Baltimore is exactly the kind of team we lose to and look weak doing so, even when the game is close like it was in the playoffs last yr vs KC.  Physical and dirty on d, talent on O.  

We take away the deep pass always, even vs teams that won't even try them, and hope our small slow zero talent lb and safety squad can slow down the run.  We also love getting misdirected.

On o, we don't have anything on the outside and like to just not involve cook and kinkaid, our only talented weapons, and nothing excites is more than having no answer for blitzes and stunts.

How did we not have any screens or quick outs to tes and rbs all night?  Why did cook come off the field on running downs?  Our coaches think they are smarter than the rest of the NFL, and they are not, they just do great smashing the trash

In a thread where it’s my time to shine for how much hate I have for the HC and want him gone. A game like last night is like a pat on my shoulder to how I’ve felt the whole time. Sucks being right about him. Anyway, I am not allowed to talk bad about our HC or the almighty lord moderator will suspend me for another week or more next time. So I’ll exit the conversation now. But this post is well put and pretty much how I feel. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We looked liked a defense missing 3 important starters.   Only this time we could not hide our problems with this opponent match up.  

On offense they dropped passes and missed blocks.  

Out coached and out executed on the field.  Time to move on and get to work.  Lots of football to be played.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

It's talent, or the lack thereof, too.

In the LB core - yes. Everywhere else, we simply got outcoached.

- Not having quick dump-off options to Cook on 3rd and 8+ when the Ravens consistently sent 7 or 8 rushers at Josh. There were big chunks of yards to gain. Not a single RB screen either.

- Not calling play-action on 2nd and short against stacked boxes.

- Not blitzing Lamar or run blitzing at all until the second half.

- Punting on 4th and 2 with the game spiraling out of control 🤮.

- Repeated quick-hitter WR screens have been run so often that even the casual fan can see they’re coming.

- QB SNEAKING OUR ALL-PRO QB ON SECOND DOWN AND INCHES - What the mother bleeping bleep!?!?

- Very little misdirection.

There is more but it’s depressing enough to list these out.

Hopefully the coaching staff learns from this.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1