It's still coaching

Herb

8 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

I would be shocked if Josh walked away.

Whens the last time a top 5 QB in his prime just signed as a free agent for another team? (In his prime being the key words, not someone like a rod at 40)

Has it even ever happened in the last 25 years?

You make a good point.  I don’t see it either. However it would be so billsy to happen to us.  This franchise has a dark cloud. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, FireChans said:

If Josh gives up on McD and Co, they will be fired lol.

There is nobody with more power when push comes to shove in that org. This isn't Brady vs BB. If Josh threatens to walk, ownership will move heaven and earth to keep him.

Like I said, don't worry.

This I agree with. However , Josh may be too loyal to the people who picked him in the draft . He may think going to Pegula is equivalent to stabbing McBeane in the back and he doesn't strike me as that kind of a person. 

But I think he should have an open conversation with McBeane and Pegula and demand better weapons. Maybe he just hasn't exercised his clout yet 

• Like (+1) 1

Chicken Little is practically my avatar and even I think there is almost zero chance Allen leaves Buffalo.  I also think B & McD will be here in 3 years.  It will be interesting if they flame out this and next year with the new stadium opening however...

One thing I like about the current regime is they are willing to move on from players that are no longer performing.  The ultimate move would be for McDermott to say "I need to change how we approach building, game planning, and calling our defense" but I doubt that'll ever happen.  I wish Pegula would have a conversation like that with them one offseason but I also doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

Edited by notpolian
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

If Josh gives up on McD and Co, they will be fired lol.

There is nobody with more power when push comes to shove in that org. This isn't Brady vs BB. If Josh threatens to walk, ownership will move heaven and earth to keep him.

Like I said, don't worry.

if allen wants to leave there's nothing ownership can do to keep him

• Shocked 1

51 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

They can franchise tag him.

The point was that if Josh decides the entire FO/HC crew isn't good enough to achieve his goals, the Bills would 100% fire Beane and McD to keep Josh happy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, FireChans said:

The point was that if Josh decides the entire FO/HC crew isn't good enough to achieve his goals, the Bills would 100% fire Beane and McD to keep Josh happy.

you would have to. that also might be the only way mcd is gone from the HC gig and whilst the “window is open”. 

might be the reason for the switch to a lot more offensive picks the last few drafts; keeping josh happy. 

45 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Or they can trade him to the Niners for 3 first round picks 

• Haha (+1) 1

It can be argued that Josh has had better weapons than Tom Terrific and more skill himself.  However, either our guy hasn’t figured out how to dissect Ds, or our coaches aren’t as good, or both.  Another difference is that I don’t remember TB running for his life as much as our guy.  The first 3 games looked like we had addressed that.  The next game will tell us a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

Having a defense that totally collapses against good teams every year is pretty absurd after using most of the team’s draft picks on that side of the ball. The game has pretty much passed McD by similar to Rex Ryan. We’re a few weeks away from begging players to come out of retirement to play on sundays. How could you not have safeties and lb’s on your roster after multiple defensive heavy drafts?

Edited by Governor
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, Governor said:

Having a defense that totally collapses against good teams every year is pretty absurd after using most of the team’s draft picks on that side of the ball. The game has pretty much passed McD by similar to Rex Ryan.

IMO Beane can't evaluate DL well.  Many picks used as you say, and we have:

Oliver, who is a decent starter who can be run over and "disappears" as many say due to the boom/bust penetration philosophy his tech is assigned 

Rousseau, episodically good to ok

Epenesa, marginal starter, replacement value

The Rookie Carter - too early to judge overall, but a doubtful difference maker.

Who am I missing?  I don't feel like going over all the chaff we've drafted and discarded (hey there Boogie)

Pretty weak given how many have been drafted over the last several years.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 9/29/2024 at 11:46 PM, Herb said:

It very well could have gotten worse, but it would have been a lot more entertaining if we had sped up the game as soon as we knew we couldn't stop the run.

So after the first play HAHAHA. Still cannot believe that. 

Cousins absolutely balled out and got the win. Josh is capable of having these kinds of games. Against Tampa's aggressive blitzing style, they masterfully demonstrated how to react to what the defense was doing.

10 hours ago, Ga boy said:

It can be argued that Josh has had better weapons than Tom Terrific and more skill himself.  However, either our guy hasn’t figured out how to dissect Ds, or our coaches aren’t as good, or both.  Another difference is that I don’t remember TB running for his life as much as our guy.  The first 3 games looked like we had addressed that.  The next game will tell us a lot.

Tom Terrific also had a defense that would play well in the playoffs and help him win games. Can we say that Allen has that.

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills defense is pretty much 100% Nickel, mostly zone and highly disguised Cover 2 shifts, utilizing a 4-man rush without much blitzing.  They are probably the best team in the entire NFL at the scheme they run.  And in Weeks 1-2, we saw how well the front office has done at obtaining players that fit THIS system, and how awesome the staff has done at coaching up depth to fill-in when starters go down.  

This scheme is not without its flaws though.  Players are a bit undersized, and we operate very light in the box.  McDermott's units have always struggled with big physical running games (and Derrick Henry in particular).  And they can occasionally get picked apart by extremely accurate QBs who are patient enough to chip down the field (see Bengals playoff game from two years back).  This is especially true when the team is without the entire second level of the defense (Milano, Bernard and Johnson).

Bills coaches know Josh Allen and the offense are usually a juggernaut.  And the few teams capable of exploiting our defensive weaknesses, usually find themselves quickly forced out of that style in order to keep pace on the scoreboard.  For anyone complaining, this strategy resulted in 4 straight division titles and the longest streak in NFL history without losing a game by more than 6 points.  In other words, they win most of the time.  And the other games they at least have a good chance in the late 4th quarter.

It's a great plan overall.  Especially in a heavy-passing league.  Miami will probably never get past us in the AFC East, because our defensive system is constructed specifically to shut-down attacks just like them.  But my one gripe with McDermott and staff, is their tendency to be a stubborn when their normal routine isn't doing the job.  Even if the strategy listed above works 90% of the time... that other 10% is what will ultimately cost us the Super Bowl year after year.  

Yes, Baltimore is unique from other teams in the NFL.  But what happens if we run into them again (very possible) in the playoffs?  Are we going to see the same reluctance from McDermott to break from Nickel, or at least put more people in the box?  We all watched the previously mentioned Bengals playoff game, where our defense sat back in soft zone and never adjusted, just allowing Burrow to pick them apart with short passes. 

Overall I like McDermott, and think his leadership is a key part in our success.  But I do think Monday night was evidence that he still hasn't figured out why this team keeps getting bounced from the postseason.  And until he does, I can't see the Bills breaking through.

Edited by mjt328
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/30/2024 at 2:49 AM, QCity said:

Those first 3 teams have combined for a total of 2 wins so far this year, so....yeah.

Yeah, and the Bills caused 43% of the seven losses to happen.

Strength of schedule, after week three, means very little.

18 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

In this day and age, money means almost nothing, at least it shouldn’t.

after a guy has made $40-60 million for 6 years or so, they just want to win the big prize, and cement their name in history.

at least, I would hope so.

that being said, some of these guys are too stupid to know any better, or think about tomorrow.

On 10/1/2024 at 11:42 AM, RyanC883 said:

and, I'm not the GM.  But rolling out the same staff over and over again that does the same thing over and over again (not prepared, big in game blunders, etc) is insane.  

This isn't the same staff ! New coordinators on both sides of the ball & 1 is a rookie DC so that statement is totally untrue !!

And by the way you never answered my question i asked you !

Who would be the miracle coach that that you would put in place once you fired McD to change the direction of the team to go straight to a SB ?

Edited by T master