So far WR group looks like a dumpster fire

Basing this solely on stats is no bueno... Our passing game was shut down for almost 3 quarters over two games because of blowouts.  With that being said, we all knew we didn't have anyone on the roster that could take the top off a defense.  Brady will need to find a way to get guys open deep.  Preferably not by having JA scrambling for his life and coverage breaks down deep like the Shakir catch last night.

1 minute ago, Lost said:

Plus Tyler Bass, Von Miller, Spencer Brown.  Also, the 31 million we're paying Diggs not to be on the team.   So many overpays...

The Bass contract is really just a product of the rest of the bad contracts.  If they werent paying Miller and Knox, they could have easily parted ways with Bass.   Still think the Miller contract is one of the worst in Bills history.  

38 minutes ago, FireChans said:

We don't run a lot of play action at all.

Honestly, I don't think that was the way to regroup last night. They had free rushers all night, a half second with Josh's back to the defense sounds like strip sack city.

I think @Simon hit the nail on the head. We needed to hit Cook in the flat, either on designed screens or flares and chew up 6 yards or more if he makes a guy miss for a drive or two to get the Ravens to at least think twice about sending 5 or 6.

This is where it has to go. Teams are going to take from the Ravens. They are going to send guys and challenge the Bills WRs to win. They aren’t going to sit in two-high and allow time for someone to shake free. They are going to come after the Bills and bet that their coverage can hold up long enough without having extra bodies deployed to help. Those bodies will be near the LOS and blitzing. 

The Bills will have to adapt and evolve. Right now, I don’t believe that the talent is there for the Bills to make that work. Hopefully there are some scheme adjustments (like @Simon’s suggestion) that neutralize this. 

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The tricky part is that he has ALWAYS been more of a “gadget guy” than a boundary receiver. He was a RB at Ohio State. He is like Deebo. The Bills have no idea how to use him. He should be used in a variety of ways. He should get 3 or 4 carries a game. He should catch 1 or 2 screens and 1 or 2 slants. Get the ball in his hands 8 times a game. 

Only thing I can think of is that Samuel's still hampered by an injury (turf toe?).  17 snaps a game seems odd, but... 

Reminds me of the in-season trade for Nyheim Hines a few years ago.  Always seemed like they wanted a pass catching RB, they get him and...he's used as an expensive kick returner.  McBeane tend to over-value (Gabe Davis) or under-utilize offensive skill players all too often.    

There's a disconnect somewhere offensively across multiple OC's and the front office.  It's as though the players are acquired without a good plan for maximizing their strengths.   I've always wondered who in that room has a voice to represent the offense?  Because I don't think rookie/young OC's are that person.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Simon said:

They didn't in the middle of the field because the Ravens were flooding it.

There was room in the flats that Brady refused to adjust to, imo.

This game was on coaching.

3 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Get me Devonte Adams no matter the cost. Give Josh a true WR for the rest of this year and then address the position in the offseason. 

We don't have the cap room.

11 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Shakir is a very good player but he's not Edleman or Welker.  Maybe he could be if he got a higher volume of targets.

Samuel is a free agent bust either becuase of injury or just lack of skill. $8M for 6 catches in four games!

Hollins has 4 catches in 4 games. On pace for 17 catches which is actually what he has done during most of his career

Coleman can't seperate from anyone. People eviscerated Diggs for a playoff game drop that was far more difficult than the pass Coleman dropped tonight. 

MVS is nonexistent. I mistakenly thought he would be better. Maybe he would if he got some of Hollins' or Samuel's snaps. 

Diggs has 25 receptions 

Five Bills WR combined have 40 receptions

Someone on here said Allen is smiling on the sideline because Diggs is gone. Didn't see Allen smiling tonight. 

I’m mainly concerned with the three Free Agent WR’s brought in. The Bills are paying Samuel $8M a year and the guy hasn’t made an impact so far. Hollins and Allen haven’t been able to get on the same page. Hollins was targeted five times and only had one reception. MVS is supposed to be a deep threat but hasn’t caught a deep pass yet in the four games he’s been here.

40 minutes ago, henry jones said:

Basing this solely on stats is no bueno... Our passing game was shut down for almost 3 quarters over two games because of blowouts.  With that being said, we all knew we didn't have anyone on the roster that could take the top off a defense.  Brady will need to find a way to get guys open deep.  Preferably not by having JA scrambling for his life and coverage breaks down deep like the Shakir catch last night.

Yes. Gonna live or die w coaches. Brady has to find a threatening passing game. And realize play action is a thing. And stop running on 2nd and short 99:100 times

41 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If Samuel can’t be anything for us (turf toe or whatever), we’re in pretty much the same position KC is in and it would be malpractice to not trade for a WR.  

Waiting for the Bills to sign an aging once good/great 30yr old receiver, sign them to some ridiculous 4 year contract to try and spread out the cap hit, all while still paying our departed once good/great wideout 30+million this year to play for the Texans.   

12 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Shakir is a very good player but he's not Edleman or Welker.  Maybe he could be if he got a higher volume of targets.

Samuel is a free agent bust either becuase of injury or just lack of skill. $8M for 6 catches in four games!

Hollins has 4 catches in 4 games. On pace for 17 catches which is actually what he has done during most of his career

Coleman can't seperate from anyone. People eviscerated Diggs for a playoff game drop that was far more difficult than the pass Coleman dropped tonight. 

MVS is nonexistent. I mistakenly thought he would be better. Maybe he would if he got some of Hollins' or Samuel's snaps. 

Diggs has 25 receptions 

Someone on here said Allen is smiling on the sideline because Diggs is gone. Didn't see Allen smiling tonight. 

As someone who was vocally unhappy with the way our WR corps was handled this offseason and called repeatedly for more help, lemme just say...

This post stinks.

Sitting back and saying nothing after the Bills put up 30+ points for three straight weeks and passed the ball with relative ease and saw Josh Allen put up career highs in EPA and passer rating, only to run to your keyboard at the first sign of trouble and crap all over the receivers and call them a dumpster fire...

Weak. Just weak. 

That's all. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Lost said:

Waiting for the Bills to sign an aging once good/great 30yr old receiver, sign them to some ridiculous 4 year contract to try and spread out the cap hit, all while still paying our departed once good/great wideout 30+million this year to play for the Texans.   

That obviously wouldn’t be what we’d do. 

There are guys out there who either give us a deep ball threat or be a half year rental to help us as we develop Coleman and get out of our cap hell year, without much mortgaging of the future. 

Just now, Lost said:

Yup. Just had to double or triple dip on WR this draft or last draft. That’s it.  That’s how GB re stocked their WR room.

instead we REACHED for Justin shorter in the 5th. Who’s now a TE on bad teams practice sqaud

and Coleman. Who’s a basketball player, big slot they plant on the outside. Have too many slot players. We have Knox and Kincaid for big slot roles

12 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Diggs has 25 receptions 

It was one game that they clearly got caught off guard in every phase.

Receptions per player are going to be down when Josh is throwing to 10 people per game.

This game was a perfect encapsulation of how small our margin for error is on offense with this group of weapons. Until now we have been making it work because we've had no drops, we've been converting 3rd downs at an elite clip, and Josh has had time in the pocket to get past his first read. Unfortunately we found out what happens when those statistically unsustainable metrics revert to the mean - the offense becomes a complete disaster. It only takes one drop or one protection breakdown to ruin a drive. That is the problem with playing small ball. Every single play needs to be executed well and you need to thread a lot of needles to sustain drives.

And no it isn't just the Ravens game. People trying to chalk this up as one bad loss are missing the larger picture here. This game script is exactly what happened to us in the divisional round last year too. We sustained more drives against the Chiefs for sure, but ultimately our small ball offense was unable to keep up in what essentially had become a shootout. The Ravens game is a preview of playoff football. You don't get soft teams like the Dolphins and Jaguars past the wildcard. You get punch you in the mouth teams like the Ravens and Chiefs. Our offensive personnel is not up for the task, and frankly we don't have the Chiefs defense that can win games for you when the offense has an ugly day.

The only possible solution is adding a real pass catching weapon before the trade deadline. Brady certainly needs to do a better job as well. Play calling was a big problem yesterday, he never adjusted, and we came in totally unprepared for Baltimore's blitz packages. But the problem starts with talent. We have an inherently limited offense that will get exposed by tough defenses.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

Yesterdays game shows us that the WR group is lacking a big play top tier talent.  It will come down to great play calls by Brady and great execution by Allen and the OL to overcome this.  

Shakir is a nice guy to have.   Coleman is a rookie that needs time.   The rest are all journeymen backups.   Teams can focus on Kincaid and Cook.  We have no cap room to bring in a significant offensive threat.  

Hopefully we figure out how to counter what Baltimore did because in the NFL the rest of the league is always watching.   

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This game was a perfect encapsulation of how small our margin for error is on offense with this group of weapons. Until now we have been making it work because we've had no drops, we've been converting 3rd downs at an elite clip, and Josh has had time in the pocket to get past his first read. Unfortunately we found out what happens when those statistically unsustainable metrics revert to the mean - the offense becomes a complete disaster. It only takes one drop or one protection breakdown to ruin a drive. That is the problem of playing small ball. Every single play needs to be executed well and you need to thread a lot of needles to sustain drives.

And no it isn't just the Ravens game. People trying to chalk this up as one bad loss are missing the larger picture here. This game script is exactly what happened to us in the divisional round last year too. We sustained more drives against the Chiefs for sure, but ultimately our small ball offense was unable to keep up in what essentially had become a shootout. The Ravens game is a preview of playoff football. You don't get soft teams like the Dolphins and Jaguars past the wildcard. You get punch you in the mouth teams like the Ravens and Chiefs. Our offensive personnel is not up for the task, and frankly we don't have the Chiefs defense that can win games for you when the offense has an ugly day.

The only possible solution is adding a real pass catching weapon before the trade deadline. Brady certainly needs to do a better job as well. Play calling was a big problem yesterday, he never adjusted, and we came in totally unprepared for Baltimore's blitz packages. But the problem starts with talent. We have an inherently limited offense that will get exposed by tough defenses.

Great post. 

Chiefs can win ugly against good teams because they have an elite defense, an elite gamewrecker and an elite big game DC. 

We have a good defense that has neither a gamewrecker nor big game coordinator/coaching. 

The latter can be exposed by elite offenses .. like the ones we see in the Playoffs. 

And if they are.. Our offense needs to keep up when the game script flips. 

Last night looked a lot like last years KC playoff game, except we never had a chance after Brady spazzed. 

Josh red in the face, under constant pressure because the opposing defense can pin their ears back and without anyone around him able to step up (although, glimmer of hope in how Keon rebounded in the 2nd half). 

But they need more & I share your fear that if they don’t, Josh faces a do everything and still maybe lose ending to our season in the Div Round. 

• Like (+1) 1

For as good as Beane has been, I've had one thing that has driven me crazy.  The lack of speed for Allen.  I was ok with us moving on from Gabe and Diggs, but felt that Brian Thomas was there for the taking, and felt like we weren't aggressive enough to try and get him.  His skillset is exactly what Allen needs on offense.  I think Coleman is a nice player, but right now Coleman seems more like a Gabe Davis replacement, with a much more limited ceiling than Bryan Thomas.  We just didn't do enough in my opinion.  I was underwhelmed with our draft.   

6 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You think Shakir is a deep threat? Show me the last deep ball Josh connected with him on. I’ll wait. And as more MVS once again was he even active this evening?

I don't think he is, he is. He's just also a complete receiver who's more valuable on higher percentage plays, so he gets used all over.

Of course he just nabbed a 52 yarder, but also:
https://www.buffalobills.com/video/josh-allen-s-accuracy-is-immaculate-on-21-yard-seed-to-shakir-bills-at-dolphins
https://www.buffalobills.com/video/khalil-shakir-with-a-spectacular-catch-for-a-33-yard-gain-bills-vs-dolphins

Let me know if you need any more help.