The Autopsy and the Bright Side

FireChans

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

The ravens attacked Cam, Spector and Dorian and it paid off.  Smart move.  

They deserve the win.  We don’t deserve it and that mostly because Brady royally blew it with one play call.  My head was spinning watching that debacle 

Unfortunately the game was lost way before that playcall which I agree is one of the worst I can remember

• Agree 2

The good: 

Coleman, drop aside, was very good. Good body control on those sideline throws. 

Shakir ruled 

The meh:

Defensive line 

The bad:

Cam Lewis is not worth a roster spot 

Torrence is becoming a real concern out there 

I’m at the end of the line with Bass-O-Matic, the misses are so egregious that it’s not defensible anymore.

11 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Welp, that sucked.

Let's start with the bad and end on a high-note with the good

The Bad

Defensively:

Safeties took bad angles and looked tentative, especially Hamlin. Rapp got hurt doing his human missile impression

LB's were attacked relentlessly until the second half when I think McD/Babich adjusted their assignments

Rasul Douglas was kind of a less than bright spot, Cam Lewis was on the receiving end of some bad whiffs as well

Next to zero pass rush in the first half and poor play recognition all around

Offensively:

Samuel looks like a complete zero of a signing (which sucks because I thought he would be pretty good reunited with Brady) -every play where he is in the backfield is a play where blitz pickup is never a factor

OL and pass pro was horrible.  The misdirection on disguised blitzes chewed them up. Everyone kinda was bad, but dishonorable mention goes to Torrence who clearly has some bad tendencies on tape that teams will continue to relentlessly attack.

I have said it once and I will say it again. James Cook is one of our best offensive players. Getting away from him entirely is a mistake.  I know folks have been really high on Ray Davis, but I am absolutely sick of the 1st down James Cook run for 7 yards and then taking him off for Ray Davis to get -1 on the next play. Let James Cook, for real.

My personal distaste for this WR group - I have to mention this but I will keep it brief. Teams that are comfortable putting CB1 on Shakir and playing close to the line of scrimmage are gonna be our kryptonite and the Ravens just showed the entire league how to do it. Mack and MVS are non-factors when we are in passing situations. Teams will feel very comfortable with a S or CB3 on them and dare them to make a play. We saw that in full force all game once we got behind. We are making Josh and co. play 10 on 10 or 9 on 9 because these guys just don't have the juice.

The call.  We all know the call. One of the worst calls I have ever seen and was DOA.  With the OL barely able to give Allen a second on a good day, running a pseudo-wild cat with Samuel for the first time on the year when all eyes will be on Allen is really bad. We didn't even set it up earlier in the year.  Bad bad bad bad. Will probably be the worst call of Brady's career

The offense in general.  We were a miracle Josh Allen throw away from scoring 3 points total.  PU.

The Bright Spots:

Defensively:

Great second half adjustments on defense, came out flying and gave us a chance to stay in the game

Bishop didn't stand out in a negative way when forced to come in

Health - we are riding out the clock on TJ and TB coming back.  Hopefully they are both back this week or the next, and I think this is the worst defensive game we will see this year.

Offensively:

Keon Coleman is a player. He was not my choice in the draft, but he had his best game as a pro.  Bad drop, but made two EXCELLENT catches against tight coverage when we needed it. I have concerns about making a living on those plays, but I am more convinced that he will be a star in this league sooner rather than later. I wish we had 4 of him.

Cook is still a weapon. Again, wish we used him more but I thought the Ravens front would neutralize him. He showed out, he just needs the ball more.

Anyway, that's what I got.

I have the same concern at WR as you do and was hoping it wouldn’t come to this.  But as pressures as Josh was today there were also times when no one was open downfield and this is a major concern to me.  

Shakir is a good receiver but outside of him, you have a bunch of JAGs at WR.  Coleman is a rookie so I’ll give him a pass.  But the Bills are getting nothing from Samuel, MVS or Hollins at WR.  

The lack of overall talent at WR bit them in the ass today and I worry it becomes a trend this year

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Unfortunately the game was lost way before that playcall which I agree is one of the worst I can remember

That was about to be a one score game in the 3rd qrtr and the Bills with all the juice.

It flipped everything. (Although with another half second, it might have been 6:ph34r:)

Coleman looked good despite the drop, Allen still looked great and even started to rely on the rookie more as the game went on. Overall I think this was more a case of everything that could go wrong did go wrong. We're missing key pieces on defense and they were able to exploit it explosively before our coaches ever could find a way to scheme up stops with what we have. Our offense which has been playing well despite having so many new pieces was always just one step away from being able to consistently move down the field well. Unfortunately that let the Ravens run up a lead, we had a shot at coming back through a combination of figuring things out and maybe the Ravens tendency to let teams back in but a spectacular "Special" play killed the momentum and the game got away from us.

Offense can still get more consistent as the season goes, bad night for Hollins though, defense will get playmakers back and some rookies could step up.

Just now, Simon said:

That was about to be a one score game in the 3rd qrtr and the Bills with all the juice.

It flipped everything. (Although with another half second, it might have been 6:ph34r:)

I dunno

We gave up almost 8 yards/play 

I don't see us ever winning that game tbh

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

May have been.  May not have been.  

we were down 11 with the ball 6.5 mins left in the 3rd qtr.  never know what play calls would’ve been in store had we not had that turnover.

our play calling lost us the game.  Things may have turned out differently under different circumstances.

5 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I just listened to Josh's presser. Much less depressed than he usually is after a bad loss. Said he's glad it happened early in the season so they ca correct things. I like that he isn't doing his usual "I suck" routine

Glad he’s healthy.  

The sky's not falling but I was never lulled into thinking we had turned some corner as a team. We are masters at the mediocre beat downs. When we lose, especially big, we get manhandled => Colts/Titans/Bengals. Power run games are a problem for this defensive scheme and it magnified when they can't play from ahead. Other normal symptoms of our defeats, our defensive line doesn't get pressure and Josh has no time. We get away from the run game,  miss a field goal or have a key drop. It's who we are until we prove we aren't. Only so many teams in the regulars season expose this, but it hasn't changed. It's still our DNA. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I dunno

We gave up almost 8 yards/play 

I don't see us ever winning that game tbh

Maybe not.

But Babich did finally adjust out of that passive horseshlt late in the 2nd qrtr and it was working.

I don't know if they could have kept getting away with it with Lewis, Spector, Hamlin and WIlliams out there instead of the starters, but some Raven sphincters were about to get tight.

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Coleman looked good despite the drop, Allen still looked great and even started to rely on the rookie more as the game went on. Overall I think this was more a case of everything that could go wrong did go wrong. We're missing key pieces on defense and they were able to exploit it explosively before our coaches ever could find a way to scheme up stops with what we have. Our offense which has been playing well despite having so many new pieces was always just one step away from being able to consistently move down the field well. Unfortunately that let the Ravens run up a lead, we had a shot at coming back through a combination of figuring things out and maybe the Ravens tendency to let teams back in but a spectacular "Special" play killed the momentum and the game got away from us.

Offense can still get more consistent as the season goes, bad night for Hollins though, defense will get playmakers back and some rookies could step up.

Josh relies on Coleman because  he doesn’t have another deep threat .. wouldn’t say that is a great outcome 

The Henry TD run.  

No pass rush bc we were horrified of Henry.  

Punting on 4th and 2 at mid field.  

Brady going full clown show with the play call.  

Bass misses again.  

We looked unprepared for their pass rush/blitz schemes.  

On to the next. 

12 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I agree the DL was terrible … not for the first time 

It's a continuing problem from a supposed defensive guru. This team looks great against the Cardinals/Dolphins of the NFL but put them against a running team who does alot of screen plays and we consistently look lost or any mahomes lead team. Have we beaten the Bengals yet? It's getting old.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

It's a continuing problem from a supposed defensive guru. This team looks great against the Cardinals/Dolphins of the NFL but put them against a running team who does alot of screen plays and we consistently look lost or any mahomes lead team. Have we beaten the Bengals yet? It's getting old.

This is not the first time we have seen them  carved up in the run game … they have put considerable assets into the DL … thought things had changed … but apparently not …

Oliver had one of his “gone missing “ games tonight … Im also concerned about Jones 

Food for thought.  The four years we went to the Super Bowl, we had one game every year that we looked flat and lost by a similar margin.(Not including our super bowl losses) This does not mean the year is over, let's see what adjustments are made.

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

This is not the first time we have seen them  carved up in the run game … they have put considerable assets into the DL … thought things had changed … but apparently not …

Oliver had one of his “gone missing “ games tonight … Im also concerned about Jones 

It's been a while.  Line play was bad but the secondary and LBs didn't do them any favors.

21 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeah the way the defense played after that, I can't just blame that one play call. We adjusted briefly on defense but the Ravens adjusted themselves soon after and I don't think there was ever any hope of us stopping them the number of times needed to get us back into the game.

6 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Food for thought.  The four years we went to the Super Bowl, we had one game every year that we looked flat and lost by a similar margin.(Not including our super bowl losses) This does not mean the year is over, let's see what adjustments are made.

It's been a while.  Line play was bad but the secondary and LBs didn't do them any favors.

Downside for us this year is that those 90s teams were full of HOFers...this current team not much.