The Autopsy and the Bright Side

FireChans

Welp, that sucked.

Let's start with the bad and end on a high-note with the good

The Bad

Defensively:

Safeties took bad angles and looked tentative, especially Hamlin. Rapp got hurt doing his human missile impression

LB's were attacked relentlessly until the second half when I think McD/Babich adjusted their assignments

Rasul Douglas was kind of a less than bright spot, Cam Lewis was on the receiving end of some bad whiffs as well

Next to zero pass rush in the first half and poor play recognition all around

Offensively:

Samuel looks like a complete zero of a signing (which sucks because I thought he would be pretty good reunited with Brady) -every play where he is in the backfield is a play where blitz pickup is never a factor

OL and pass pro was horrible.  The misdirection on disguised blitzes chewed them up. Everyone kinda was bad, but dishonorable mention goes to Torrence who clearly has some bad tendencies on tape that teams will continue to relentlessly attack.

I have said it once and I will say it again. James Cook is one of our best offensive players. Getting away from him entirely is a mistake.  I know folks have been really high on Ray Davis, but I am absolutely sick of the 1st down James Cook run for 7 yards and then taking him off for Ray Davis to get -1 on the next play. Let James Cook, for real.

My personal distaste for this WR group - I have to mention this but I will keep it brief. Teams that are comfortable putting CB1 on Shakir and playing close to the line of scrimmage are gonna be our kryptonite and the Ravens just showed the entire league how to do it. Mack and MVS are non-factors when we are in passing situations. Teams will feel very comfortable with a S or CB3 on them and dare them to make a play. We saw that in full force all game once we got behind. We are making Josh and co. play 10 on 10 or 9 on 9 because these guys just don't have the juice.

The call.  We all know the call. One of the worst calls I have ever seen and was DOA.  With the OL barely able to give Allen a second on a good day, running a pseudo-wild cat with Samuel for the first time on the year when all eyes will be on Allen is really bad. We didn't even set it up earlier in the year.  Bad bad bad bad. Will probably be the worst call of Brady's career

The offense in general.  We were a miracle Josh Allen throw away from scoring 3 points total.  PU.

The Bright Spots:

Defensively:

Great second half adjustments on defense, came out flying and gave us a chance to stay in the game

Bishop didn't stand out in a negative way when forced to come in

Health - we are riding out the clock on TJ and TB coming back.  Hopefully they are both back this week or the next, and I think this is the worst defensive game we will see this year.

Offensively:

Keon Coleman is a player. He was not my choice in the draft, but he had his best game as a pro.  Bad drop, but made two EXCELLENT catches against tight coverage when we needed it. I have concerns about making a living on those plays, but I am more convinced that he will be a star in this league sooner rather than later. I wish we had 4 of him.

Cook is still a weapon. Again, wish we used him more but I thought the Ravens front would neutralize him. He showed out, he just needs the ball more.

Anyway, that's what I got.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I’m not too concerned about the loss.. although it was an old fashioned bum kicking …

Would love to have seen what might have transpired if Coleman makes that catch in the first half and they don’t call the trick play … they were two killer moments when they had something going …

Anyway … onto Diggs … they should be coming out motivated for that one ! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Welp, that sucked.

Let's start with the bad and end on a high-note with the good

The Bad

Defensively:

Safeties took bad angles and looked tentative, especially Hamlin. Rapp got hurt doing his human missile impression

LB's were attacked relentlessly until the second half when I think McD/Babich adjusted their assignments

Rasul Douglas was kind of a less than bright spot, Cam Lewis was on the receiving end of some bad whiffs as well

Next to zero pass rush in the first half and poor play recognition all around

Offensively:

Samuel looks like a complete zero of a signing (which sucks because I thought he would be pretty good reunited with Brady) -every play where he is in the backfield is a play where blitz pickup is never a factor

OL and pass pro was horrible.  The misdirection on disguised blitzes chewed them up. Everyone kinda was bad, but dishonorable mention goes to Torrence who clearly has some bad tendencies on tape that teams will continue to relentlessly attack.

I have said it once and I will say it again. James Cook is one of our best offensive players. Getting away from him entirely is a mistake.  I know folks have been really high on Ray Davis, but I am absolutely sick of the 1st down James Cook run for 7 yards and then taking him off for Ray Davis to get -1 on the next play. Let James Cook, for real.

My personal distaste for this WR group - I have to mention this but I will keep it brief. Teams that are comfortable putting CB1 on Shakir and playing close to the line of scrimmage are gonna be our kryptonite and the Ravens just showed the entire league how to do it. Mack and MVS are non-factors when we are in passing situations. Teams will feel very comfortable with a S or CB3 on them and dare them to make a play. We saw that in full force all game once we got behind. We are making Josh and co. play 10 on 10 or 9 on 9 because these guys just don't have the juice.

The call.  We all know the call. One of the worst calls I have ever seen and was DOA.  With the OL barely able to give Allen a second on a good day, running a pseudo-wild cat with Samuel for the first time on the year when all eyes will be on Allen is really bad. We didn't even set it up earlier in the year.  Bad bad bad bad. Will probably be the worst call of Brady's career

The offense in general.  We were a miracle Josh Allen throw away from scoring 3 points total.  PU.

The Bright Spots:

Defensively:

Great second half adjustments on defense, came out flying and gave us a chance to stay in the game

Bishop didn't stand out in a negative way when forced to come in

Health - we are riding out the clock on TJ and TB coming back.  Hopefully they are both back this week or the next, and I think this is the worst defensive game we will see this year.

Offensively:

Keon Coleman is a player. He was not my choice in the draft, but he had his best game as a pro.  Bad drop, but made two EXCELLENT catches against tight coverage when we needed it. I have concerns about making a living on those plays, but I am more convinced that he will be a star in this league sooner rather than later. I wish we had 4 of him.

Cook is still a weapon. Again, wish we used him more but I thought the Ravens front would neutralize him. He showed out, he just needs the ball more.

Anyway, that's what I got.

Im more concerned about Allen's health at this point

It's only been 4 games w this offense

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Bright Spots:

1) DeWayne Carter made some great plays on the goal line stand.

2) I think we will see our offensive scheme morph some now. It has to expand beyond the short stuff, and I think it will now.

Carter showed us something … thought he was very quiet before this game 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Keon Coleman is a player. He was not my choice in the draft, but he had his best game as a pro.  Bad drop

He made the mistake of thinking endzone there instead of turning to secure the catch. Greedy rookie but I think he's a learner.

Nice footwork for a big man on the two back shoulders.

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Cook is still a weapon.

Thought this was Brady's biggest failure to adjust tonight.

Swings and flares would have created problems for those blitzes we could not deal with and the Bills ignored all that space.

• Agree 2

Pretty good summary.

We didn't tackle well, obviously.  That was disappointing. We've been more physical in the other games to this point, but we let the Ravens out-physical us by a mile.  I don't think we're as soft as we looked out there, but I have concerns now.

The terrible-

This defensive line once again against real good teams continues to be non existent, the bengals at home, the Chiefs countless times, the only player to come up big once was Baylon Specter. This is unacceptable from a former DC, how can this continue to be a problem? Where is Ed Oliver, Dajuan Jones is yet another bust along the DL, Groot was hardly noticeable, Epenesa is non existent. What is this defense? I don't want injury excuses, these guys never show up against teams like this and until it's rectified I don't think this team is ever making it to a SB.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Bright Spots:

-Keon Coleman (even with the drop)

-We took a punch and had the ball at midfield, mid-way through the 3rd Q only down 11, with our Defense getting two straight definitive stops 

The Bad:

-Brady lost us the game 

-Bass needs to be inactive & we need to sign a new kicker 

-Hamlin needs to go back to 4th Safety.  Enough is enough with this feel good story. 

• Agree 5

Teams that are comfortable putting CB1 on Shakir and playing close to the line of scrimmage are gonna be our kryptonite and the Ravens just showed the entire league how to do it.

Gonna have to re-invent NOW or we are toast.

Despite losing the game, we gave everyone the blueprint for how to beat Hurts & the Eagles last year and they’ve been 💩 ever since because they haven’t changed much.

The coaching staff got worked over in a bad way.  The end.  They were always going to decide our season imo.  If they’re both good, there’s a solid chance we win the SB.  They one is good and one isn’t, we have a slight chance to win it all.  If neither are, Josh becoming the best player in history is our only chance.  

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

The terrible-

This defensive line once again against real good teams continues to be non existent, the bengals at home, the Chiefs countless times, the only player to come up big once was Baylon Specter. This is unacceptable from a former DC, how can this continue to be a problem? Where is Ed Oliver, Dajuan Jones is yet another bust along the DL, Groot was hardly noticeable, Epenesa is non existent. What is this defense? I don't want injury excuses, these guys never show up against teams like this and until it's rectified I don't think this team is ever making it to a SB.

I agree the DL was terrible … not for the first time 

The bad to me is our front office.

We have bad players who are a scheme fit on D, and mcclap simply can it adapt.  He'll play Hamlin or AJ klien over people they started high because he thinks his scheme is rocketry and should never be changed.

Baltimore is a well coached team and they saw what we tend to do and prepared a way to beat it and of course our brain trust has no answers.

We were gonna lose this game w our trash guys on d and smoke a d mirror o not working vs actual talent, but mclap and go made extra certain we'd never have a chance.

The trick play was just the exclamation point.

Yeah Dewayne Carter deserves more time in the rotation he’s got mad power.  Good for the rooks to get time, Cole Bishop welcome to playing safety in the NFL.  

not worried about defense overall just our poor pass rush and our kicker is super unreliable.   That’s gonna cost us the fkin season unless it gets fixed.   

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Bright Spots:

1) DeWayne Carter made some great plays on the goal line stand.

2) I think we will see our offensive scheme morph some now. It has to expand beyond the short stuff, and I think it will now.

I hope so. I don't want to see Josh return to all out reckless hero ball but I sure as hell don't ever want to see the playcalling of tonight.  I did love the back shoulder stuff to Coleman.  MVS, Hollins, Samuel & Knox are basically worthless in this offense. The DL & OL were huge disappointments tonight.  Lewis, Hamlin and Rapp are not starters in any dimension. And Bass will never make a clutch kick beyond 45 yards.

• Like (+1) 1

The ravens attacked Cam, Spector and Dorian and it paid off.  Smart move.  

They deserve the win.  We don’t deserve it and that mostly because Brady royally blew it with one play call.  My head was spinning watching that debacle 

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

The ravens attacked Cam, Spector and Dorian and it paid off.  Smart move.  

And Hamlin.

It was outstanding work by their staff.

And would have likely looked much different with Taron, Milano, Bernard and Cole Bishop.

• Agree 1