Brady’s Play Call = L

Thrivefourfive

this play makes the hamlin fake punt play seem brilliant.  ?  To top it off they allowed 4 free rushers to him as he is getting the ball.

This was designed to be given back to Allen who would end up back in the pocket and then he would have two options deep.  Coleman was not deep enough to validate running this play and Hollins would have been open I guess.

The best thing that could have happened there was Samuels just got tackled and held the ball.  Once he pitched it to Allen, Allen was pinned down in the corner with 4 free rushers in his face.  Dawkins completely whiffed and ruined the whole damn play.

Just a clusterfudge of nonsense when they had momentum and were running the ball finally.

Edited by MikePJ76

46 minutes ago, Process said:

It does look like Allen was meant to roll right, but then you look at the routes that were run and there was no one that way. 

Just a bizarre, ridiculous play.

Van Noy was lined up way out to the right. That alone caused the play to fail. Once he hit Samuel, Samuel should have just hung onto the ball. But I think he was supposed to hand it to Josh who would move back into the pocket to throw. Instead, Samuel flicked it to Josh in a space where all the defenders were naturally moving to get Samuel. 

8 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

this play makes the hamlin fake punt play seem brilliant.  ?  To top it off they allowed 4 free rushers to him as he is getting the ball.

This was designed to be given back to Allen who would end up back in the pocket and then he would have two options deep.  Coleman was not deep enough to validate running this play and Hollins would have been open I guess.

The best thing that could have happened there was Samuels just got tackled and held the ball.  Once he pitched it to Allen, Allen was pinned down in the corner with 4 free rushers in his face.  Dawkins completely whiffed and ruined the whole damn play.

Just a clusterfudge of nonsense when they had momentum and were running the ball finally.

That view from behind the LOS makes me understand why Allen thought he had more time to throw. He would have known Van Noy was back there, but he also would have seen Dawkins running back to get a piece of him.

The only problem is Dawkins didn’t get a piece of him at all. What a poor effort there by him.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DapperCam said:

That view from behind the LOS makes me understand why Allen thought he had more time to throw. He would have known Van Noy was back there, but he also would have seen Dawkins running back to get a piece of him.

The only problem is Dawkins didn’t get a piece of him at all. What a poor effort there by him.

yea it looks like dawkins was supposed to push him really wide allowing the handoff to Allen and he then would have reset in the Pocket.

If you look at torrance and brown they push their guy way inside on purpose which would have set Allen up in a nice comfortable spot in the pocket....which begs the question on why a trick play that really does nothing.  If they want to do this type of stuff go old school and run a flea flicker.

anyway, everyone blamed torrance last night and to me it looks like Dawkins inabilty to push van noy further up the field (or at all) ruined the play...it disrupted the timing off the pitch to allen and caused allen do have to retreat.

Just terrible all around.  If dawkins gets his block Allen probably takes the shot to hollins because he had the corner beat and the safety was too far upfield it looks like.  Probably a contested catch right on the sideline in the endzone.  

Its too bad they just didn't tackle Samuels before he pitched it!

13 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I don’t blame Dawkins. Van Noy is like 5 feet to the outside. Almost impossible to get a good block. What makes it worse is that Samuel is running that way, so Van Noy naturally is staying wide. You just can’t run that play against that wide 3-4 formation. 

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t blame Dawkins. Van Noy is like 5 feet to the outside. Almost impossible to get a good block. What makes it worse is that Samuel is running that way, so Van Noy naturally is staying wide. You just can’t run that play against that wide 3-4 formation. 

I meant after the initial whiff and the play was already kind of broken. Allen drifts to his left to buy time. Dawkins had a chance to get a piece of Van Noy and just kind of doesn’t.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

I meant after the initial whiff and the play was already kind of broken. Allen drifts to his left to buy time. Dawkins had a chance to get a piece of Van Noy and just kind of doesn’t.

Oh, I see. Gotcha.

I think van Noy is usually pretty mediocre. But he basically blew that entire play up himself. 

• Agree 1

Sounds like we are forgetting that the Bills hold a players only meeting for input on what plays are to be run each week.  I would think which trick play surely had their input.

That being said, Brady could have thrown it out the window and should have.

The real issue is execution.  Samuel never should have pitched Josh the ball and ate the lost play.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

Sounds like we are forgetting that the Bills hold a players only meeting for input on what plays are to be run each week.  I would think which trick play surely had their input.

That being said, Brady could have thrown it out the window and should have.

The real issue is execution.  Samuel never should have pitched Josh the ball and ate the lost play.

They never should have run the play at that time.  They were starting to wrangle the game back from the Ravens in a legitimate football sense, in the way a real football team does it, and they went to the crayon board instead of stepping on throats.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

They never should have run the play at that time.  They were starting to wrangle the game back from the Ravens in a legitimate football sense, in the way a real football team does it, and they went to the crayon board instead of stepping on throats.  

Traditionally when teams get the ball via a takeaway or a big stop and are around midfield they take shots or run gadget/trick plays.

After looking at it again today it was a mess from the start.  Its a shame Samuels wasn't just tackled and they moved on to third down.  The risk in this play was way too high to run at that time.  

the flip side I guess is that if dawkins kicks van noy way out wide and allen can step into the throw he might have hollins in the endzone on the sideline and all of a sudden its a 21-17 game.

doesn't matter now.  

59 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Geez.  I put 75% of that on Brady, 15% on Dawkins, and 10% on Allen.  The  first two are obvious but Allen needs to throw  that ball away once he saw nobody was open.

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

Traditionally when teams get the ball via a takeaway or a big stop and are around midfield they take shots or run gadget/trick plays.

After looking at it again today it was a mess from the start.  Its a shame Samuels wasn't just tackled and they moved on to third down.  The risk in this play was way too high to run at that time.  

the flip side I guess is that if dawkins kicks van noy way out wide and allen can step into the throw he might have hollins in the endzone on the sideline and all of a sudden its a 21-17 game.

doesn't matter now.  

I still think even if it succeeded it was an awful call.  The Ravens had bullied us the first 2/3 of that game.  We were finally showing them we could bring it back at them physically- we needed to keep doing that.  

• Like (+1) 1

It looks like even if Allen got a clean handoff and was able to progress into the pocket, he was going to get immediate pressure/death.

I just dont get it.  Its like a 3-second shotgun snap.  Youre just wasting time to get the ball in Allen's hands.  Plus, making him a RB and open season.   There is no precedent of Samuel running the ball out of the wildcat, nor throwing passes.  It was the least tricky play next to Brady's 2nd down James Cook runs into the pile.

2 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

I still think even if it succeeded it was an awful call.  The Ravens had bullied us the first 2/3 of that game.  We were finally showing them we could bring it back at them physically- we needed to keep doing that.  

i agree 100%.  It makes sense that cook was livid on the sideline.

They were just starting to get a push in the running game. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Van Noy was lined up way out to the right. That alone caused the play to fail. Once he hit Samuel, Samuel should have just hung onto the ball. But I think he was supposed to hand it to Josh who would move back into the pocket to throw. Instead, Samuel flicked it to Josh in a space where all the defenders were naturally moving to get Samuel. 

yea, that guy unblocked might’ve been worth an audible or timeout, right? 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

It looks like even if Allen got a clean handoff and was able to progress into the pocket, he was going to get immediate pressure/death.

I just dont get it.  Its like a 3-second shotgun snap.  Youre just wasting time to get the ball in Allen's hands.  Plus, making him a RB and open season.   There is no precedent of Samuel running the ball out of the wildcat, nor throwing passes.  It was the least tricky play next to Brady's 2nd down James Cook runs into the pile.

don’t forget limiting guys in routes and not letting Allen keep his eyes downfield 

while losing all of the element of surprise by making it a clear trick play no matter what pre snap 

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So the concept was to pitch to Allen rolling right and then throw a 50yard pass to Hollins back across his body

It's original I'll give them that

The defense never would've expected it.