Brady’s Play Call = L

Thrivefourfive

25 minutes ago, SDS said:

100% he was supposed to roll to his right side. The wildcat was supposed to move everyone to the left and Josh was going to run against the grain. But the line collapsed and he had to turn around and go back to his left. At that point he should’ve just ran out of bounds.

there was nothing wrong with the play call per se. The execution was beyond horrible.

There wasn't anything wrong with the call per se as an actual play, but the timing of it was awful. That was not the time to try it. If it had been called in the second quarter it would have been more understandable.

As an aside, is the thread title going to be the moniker for it - Wide Right, Hail Murray, 13 Seconds... Brady's Play Call?

ETA - Brady's Trick Play might be better.

Edited by UKBillFan
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

They just play bigger. When I watch the Jets D they more often than not correctly read and react much quicker and they arrive at the ball carrier or receiver with a lot of intensity. 

Well yea, these LBers stink. They aren’t even supposed to be on the field. It’s supposed to be Bernard and Milano.

Edited by DapperCam

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

I'm still baffled by the call. It was probably the worst designed trick play I've ever seen.

How does an NFL OC think putting Allen out wide and having him throw deep to Mack Hollins was even remotely going to have high upside?

A horribly designed play called at the worst possible time. Brady pissed down his leg last night. 

The entire play struck me as a coach trying to pad his resume and accomplishing the exact opposite - showing the world he lacks the situational awareness to be a head coach (right now).  I suspect McDermott's post-game discussion with Brady was something along the lines of, "Remember Ken Dorsey?  Let me tell you a story about why you're sitting here and he isn't."  Honestly was shocking to me - Brady reviving Dorsey's "f- around and find out" offense last night was NOT on my bingo card.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thats true….and like most of us I thought at the time, why hand the ball to the QB on the left side of the line if everyone was already lured that way. Watching it again, I’m convinced that he was actually supposed to roll RIGHT. Dawkins misses the block, Samuel is blown up on the lateral, and Josh has to reverse direction. A total mess! 

I agree with your assessment that Allen was supposed to roll right.

At the snap Dawkins and Kincaid run into each other, which allowed Van Noy through. I’m not going to pretend to know if that is Kincaid’s fault or Dawkins’ fault (or both). One of those guys screwed up though.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

There wasn't anything wrong with the call per se as an actual play, but the timing of it was awful. That was not the time to try it. If it had been called in the second quarter it would have been more understandable.

As an aside, is the thread title going to be the moniker for it - Wide Right, Hail Murray, 13 Seconds... Brady's Play Call?

ETA - Brady's Trick Play might be better.

Bad call, but the Bills were never going to win that game. Don't compare the play to ones where the Bills had it in their grasp and blew it in the final seconds.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Bad call, but the Bills were never going to win that game. Don't compare the play to ones where the Bills had it in their grasp and blew it in the final seconds.

The Bills defense forced the Ravens to punt twice in a row, and had scored a TD on their previous series on offense. They had got the ball to the Baltimore 47, and it was 2nd and 7. Big call, but if they kept rolling, it could have been 21-17 with plenty of the third quarter still to go. Another stop and who knows? Look how the Cowboys came back last week. After the fumble happened, the Ravens would have been boosted, the Bills demoralised, and the game played out from there. But I wouldn't say the game was a write off at the time of the play call.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, UKBillFan said:

The Bills defense forced the Ravens to punt twice in a row, and had scored a TD on their previous series on offense. They had got the ball to the Baltimore 47, and it was 2nd and 7. Big call, but if they kept rolling, it could have been 21-17 with plenty of the third quarter still to go. Another stop and who knows? Look how the Cowboys came back last week. After the fumble happened, the Ravens would have been boosted, the Bills demoralised, and the game played out from there. But I wouldn't say the game was a write off at the time of the play call.

The Bills couldn't stop them after that and then the game became garbage time for the entire fourth quarter. It was a BLOWOUT. The Bills made a few plays over the course of the game, but they were outplayed/outschemed in every aspect of the game. The Ravens weren't losing last night at home. 

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The Bills couldn't stop them after that and then the game became garbage time for the entire fourth quarter. It was a BLOWOUT. The Bills made a few plays over the course of the game, but they were outplayed/outschemed in every aspect of the game. The Ravens weren't losing last night at home. 

Of course the Bills couldn't stop them after that. The mental side of the game is almost as important as the physical (see the Bengals game in January 2023). The outcome of the trick play deflated everyone, and actions on one side of the ball punctured the other. The defense, demoralised, couldn't raise themselves to stop a buoyant Ravens offense - after two successful drives where they did - and then the offense were demoralised at both the trick play and the defense being rolled couldn't pick it up against a bouncing Ravens defense.

I'm not sitting here saying the Bills would have definitely won, but they had a chance. And I don't think they would have been blown out as, if they had managed to score a TD on that drive, IMO the Ravens would have tensed up, as they did against Dallas.

13 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Because we gave them a short field and it became a 3 score game again after the Ravens scored. 

The difference between a 3-4 point game and an 18 point game! Totally changes how you can call the offense and defense. Not to mention the Ravens seem to have a mental hang up with letting teams back into games that we probably would have triggered.

1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

Because we gave them a short field and it became a 3 score game again after the Ravens scored. 

The difference between a 3-4 point game and an 18 point game! Totally changes how you can call the offense and defense. Not to mention the Ravens seem to have a mental hang up with letting teams back into games that we probably would have triggered.

The Ravens dominated the Bills last night, flat out, shining a massive spotlight on their personnel/schematic weaknesses. Honestly, it's better to get exposed early, learn from it, and then go about fixing things. Also, getting blown out like that is beneficial in the sense that the coaches can't explain away the problems. They need real fixing, not band-aids.  

Bottom line: the Ravens were better in every aspect of the game. The only TD the Bills had was the result of a freakish Allen play after everything had broken down. He was under siege all night and the Ravens D had their number. Again, bad call, but it's hardly at the level of some of the soul-crushing plays it's being compared to here.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The Ravens dominated the Bills last night, flat out, shining a massive spotlight on their personnel/schematic weaknesses. Honestly, it's better to get exposed early, learn from it, and then go about fixing things. Also, getting blown out like that is beneficial in the sense that the coaches can't explain away the problems. They need real fixing, not band-aids.  

Bottom line: the Ravens were better in every aspect of the game. The only TD the Bills had was the result of a freakish Allen play after everything had broken down. He was under siege all night and the Ravens D had their number. Again, bad call, but it's hardly at the level of some of the soul-crushing plays it's being compared to here.

Agree with this.  And maybe having your weaknesses exposed like that in epic fashion, early in the season, is a blessing.

• Like (+1) 1

It looked to me like Allen was heading to the right and Samuel saw the penetration and froze and pitched it behind Allen to his left side, which then forced Allen to run left. He rolls right, who knows maybe somebody was wide open. As soon as the play was all jacked up, Allen shoulda dirted it. I was SCREAMING "throw it away". Hero ball was alive and well last night. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

It looked to me like Allen was heading to the right and Samuel saw the penetration and froze and pitched it behind Allen to his left side, which then forced Allen to run left. He rolls right, who knows maybe somebody was wide open. As soon as the play was all jacked up, Allen shoulda dirted it. I was SCREAMING "throw it away". Hero ball was alive and well last night. 

This! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

Everyone knew the ball was gonna end up in Josh’s hands. Really stupid. Execution on it was really Bad too. The toss was horrible and put Josh in a bad position. At that point Josh should have just gone down

Correct, but that is still the one problem with Allen, he will never just go down.  Not without a fight.

20 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

We do know actually and nobody was wide open. It was a bizarre play.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

It does look like Allen was meant to roll right, but then you look at the routes that were run and there was no one that way. 

Just a bizarre, ridiculous play.

• Shocked 1

Even if everything goes right on that play, we score a touchdown, Josh is untouched, and we make the damn extra point, it was still the absolute wrong call.  

We were finally starting to smack them around a bit, starting to force their arm back, and then this stupid, asinine, arrogant, bat**** call!!!!!   

This may be the single stupidest playcall I've seen in my entire life.  

Burn the daggamn trick play book, and if he ever tries anything like it again, fire his ass!

That was game defining bullcrap, and they'd better put this waaay in the rearview mirror, or it'll become team-defining bullcrap.  

2 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

I'd say the game was a write-off when the King ran for 87 yards on the very first play to score a TD.......everyone knew the King was going to run hard and heavy, but our coaching staff didn't see it coming. Like, no idea that Henry could run the ball......completely clueless.

That spelled the beginning of the end right there.......3 minutes in and we lost the game cause our coaching staff were caught off guard that a RB might actually run the ball.

It was all i needed to see.

37 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Correct, but that is still the one problem with Allen, he will never just go down.  Not without a fight.

Which is usually a strength of his. It usually ends up benefiting us. 

tbh, these players haven’t seen it all. They should be learning after every single game. Heck every single practice