Brady’s Play Call = L

6 minutes ago, MPT said:

Yep we were always a bad matchup for the Ravens because we never come out of nickel and that's exactly what the Ravens want to see. Would have been nice to see a defensive game plan that actually catered to our opponent instead of the same exact crap that got us blown out the last time we faced a team with the same identity.

No doubt the Bills lack a Steve Spagnola mind to run a competent gameplan. Clearly the first thing with the Ravens is not being bulldozed out the stadium. McDermott’s insistence on not getting beat over the top meant the Ravens would simply road grade through our 6 man front on play 1. After that continued soft shell defense and the yards piled up to the tune of 260 yards given up the ground. A pathetic showing from a prideful franchise on a national stage. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

No doubt the Bills lack a Steve Spagnola mind to run a competent gameplan. Clearly the first thing with the Ravens is not being bulldozed out the stadium. McDermott’s insistence on not getting beat over the top meant the Ravens would simply road grade through our 6 man front on play 1. After that continued soft shell defense and the yards piled up to the tune of 260 yards given up the ground. A pathetic showing from a prideful franchise on a national stage. 

Exactly. The Ravens were never going to beat us through the air. Everyone knew it, including the Ravens. So they did the opposite.

A completely predictable and preventable game plan. 

We just didn't prepare for the most obvious thing, and that was apparent from the very first play they ran. The Bills' coaching staff is too proud of their system to predict an 80-yard TD run even though everyone else knew it was coming.

Just now, MPT said:

Exactly. The Ravens were never going to beat us through the air. Everyone knew it, including the Ravens. So they did the opposite.

A completely predictable and preventable game plan. 

We just didn't prepare for the most obvious thing, and that was apparent from the very first play they ran. The Bills' coaching staff is too proud of their system to predict an 80-yard TD run even though everyone else knew it was coming.

Football is all about taking away the other teams best weapons. Spagnola architect of the 2007 and 2011 Giants Super Bowl winning defenses that stopped Tom Brady knows how to take away the other teams best player and to make an offense one-dimensional. Week 1 he shut down Henry 13 carries 46 yards. Babich & McDermott should study Spagnola

14 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Football is all about taking away the other teams best weapons. Spagnola architect of the 2007 and 2011 Giants Super Bowl winning defenses that stopped Tom Brady knows how to take away the other teams best player and to make an offense one-dimensional. Week 1 he shut down Henry 13 carries 46 yards. Babich & McDermott should study Spagnola

Yep McDermott is very proud of his system that can shut down most passing schemes. He's even shut down Henry before. But when his scheme isn't catered to his opponent or they start doing something different than he expected, he has almost no ability to adapt.

I don’t think the coaches had the team prepared to play for this game.  I had suggested that they should forego the nickel package and start a 3rd LB.   It wouldn’t have mattered on that Henry 1st play TD.  They didn’t contain, the Ravens blocked it well and the Bills had nobody that was fast enough to catch Henry.

After that, it seemed every play the Ravens ran, they got 5 yards before contact.  Then when the Bills got the ball and the Ravens defenders were on them immediately.  Best O-line in the league, my arse.

The Bills defense came out in the 2nd half more aggressive but it was short lived.

I agree that the play discussed in this thread probably changed the momentum of the game, but Josh was running for his life the whole game.

4 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I’m usually a defender of Josh but I think some of the Brady blame belongs on him there…could easily throw that ball away and just take on the 3rd and 7.  He made that bad playcalling decision exponentially worse 

I think he wanted it to work because they're pry practiced it repeatedly since training camp.  I've got to see the All 22 but I don't think he saw Van Noy.  If he throws a TD to Coleman there then Brady's a genius.  Having said that, it was just the wrong time to run the play against the wrong team.

1 hour ago, MPT said:

Yep McDermott is very proud of his system that can shut down most passing schemes. He's even shut down Henry before. But when his scheme isn't catered to his opponent or they start doing something different than he expected, he has almost no ability to adapt.

I've seen this defense get gashed early many times over the years and then McD quickly adapting shutting the opponent down for most of the rest of the game.  The Cardinals game comes to mind.  I don't think it was scheme as much tonight as it was personnel with them attacking what should be backups in Spector, Williams, and Lewis.

Edited by Doc Brown

5 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Brady has been pretty good, but that play call almost erased everything good he’s done.  If Allen gets hurt on that play, you just bought yourself a pink slip.  I still can’t believe how dumb that play was.  Travis Henry halfback pass bad.  

...and against the Ravens, Brady was unmasked. How long did it take him to attempt to adjust to the Ravens really crowding the short routes? Then when he did, our On-line failed to give Allen the protection necessary. Bad performance all around by the coaches, players, etc.

3 hours ago, MPT said:

Yep we were always a bad matchup for the Ravens because we never come out of nickel and that's exactly what the Ravens want to see. Would have been nice to see a defensive game plan that actually catered to our opponent instead of the same exact crap that got us blown out the last time we faced a team with the same identity.

Do they have the personnel to do that?  I think the dl needed to be more effective. The numbers at lb are down.  This defense is small it always has been and is their weakness. 

Edited by Matt_In_NH