9/29/2024 Bills @ Ravens post game thread

BuffaloBill

2 hours ago, Heathcliff said:

WTH?  Henry in the game for garbage time to get to 200?  Coaching and player arrogance!  It would have been criminal if he had gotten hurt. 

He's a harbaugh. It's who they are. They're the worst people on earth. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

They actually did make great halftime adjustments (especially on defense) that were all destroyed by that stupid trick play call. 

My question for McDermott, when it was obvious the defensive game plan wasn't working in the first 10 minutes, why not make changes then and not wait unto the half?  That's nitpicking, but I just feel like he is stubborn at times.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Logic said:

I was not surprised that their offense had its ways with our defense. As others have stated, they were uniquely suited -- both in terms of personnel and scheme -- to attack the weakened spine of the Bills defense. I absolutely think things would have been different defensively if Bernard and Johnson were playing, and CERTAINLY would have been different if Milano was playing, too.

What DID surprise me was how thoroughly their defense stymied our offense. They had creative overload pressures all night long that our offensive line did not adapt to, and they played man coverage behind it. Typically, blitzing and playing man coverage are the exact two things you DON'T want to do against Josh Allen. The Ravens, though, showed that they had the defensive personnel and scheme to make it work.

Agreed.

The game I watched, the only time the Ravens were slowed was when the WRs dropped the ball. In one case,  Andrews didn’t have ANYBODY within 6 yards! Other Receivers just drifted to open spots, where no Bills defender was within 5 yards and Henry/Lamar just ran through them at ease!

An embarassment from the first McD decision to not go for it on 4th and 2, followed immediately by Henry running for 87!

And… the idiot Kicker & the OC who tried to end the Franchise! 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, 8BallSippin said:

My question for McDermott, when it was obvious the defensive game plan wasn't working in the first 10 minutes, why not make changes then and not wait unto the half?  That's nitpicking, but I just feel like he is stubborn at times.

In general it’s hard to change a game plan in the NFL, but it’s much harder now than it was in past era’s. 

I think about McAfee’s story about having to learn to directional punt. He used to show up and kick in the facility at all hours of the night and notes that he would never be allowed to do that now. 

Now apply that to trying to install an entire game plan. They only have time to dial in a relatively small amount of plays, reads, and checks. It is kind of like when an F1 team gets the set up wrong. They’re just sort of locked into their mistake for an entire race/game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Looked like the Bills were playing a soft defense (modified prevent)?   Never saw so few Bills around the ball.  The Ravens were free to roam for yards before and after the catch (bend but not break)?  Lots of single player tackle misses.

I didn't see the aggressive multiple player tackles as in previous games.  Maybe they were afraid of Lamar and conceded too much space.  Overthinking on defense?  Hope they can come up with a better gameplan next time.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I was not surprised that their offense had its ways with our defense. As others have stated, they were uniquely suited -- both in terms of personnel and scheme -- to attack the weakened spine of the Bills defense. I absolutely think things would have been different defensively if Bernard and Johnson were playing, and CERTAINLY would have been different if Milano was playing, too.

What DID surprise me was how thoroughly their defense stymied our offense. They had creative overload pressures all night long that our offensive line did not adapt to, and they played man coverage behind it. Typically, blitzing and playing man coverage are the exact two things you DON'T want to do against Josh Allen. The Ravens, though, showed that they had the defensive personnel and scheme to make it work.

The good news is that I don't think there are many (any?) other teams in the league that are going to be able to replicate the gameplans the Ravens just put on film. Not many offenses have the size and physicality to do what the Ravens did. Not many defenses have the man coverage corners and pass rushers to do what the Ravens did. 

That being said, both Bobby Babich and Joe Brady will need to show that they have counter-punches and scheme evolutions to deal with these things, should they arise again. I don't believe the Bills were "figured out" last night, or that they suddenly just have bad coaching and bad players. Quite simply, they got punched in the mouth by a hungry and talented opponent on the road. Time to get back into the lab, practice hard, and get ready for next week.

On to Houston.

I think this was the insiders take too.  the ravens have a sick and power o, awful for our d, but if we scored a few TDs it woudla changed the game script.  lack of focus and intensity, poor execution, and some really bad scheme and play calls did us in on O.

i look at the kc game last playoffs, that kc team that night was better than the ravens last night, this bills team didn't show up as much as that one did.  they did whatever they wanted on O to us, but we kept up and had a luck TO in our end.  if bass hits the fg, maybe we make them punt and steal a win.

so as much of a nagging negative Nancy ninny pants as i am, i think they way forward is to get the O smarter and executing at a high level, and patch up the d enough to just not get trucked.  It's just annoying that it's the old pile but a different day sometimes.

44 minutes ago, Mango said:

In general it’s hard to change a game plan in the NFL, but it’s much harder now than it was in past era’s. 

I think about McAfee’s story about having to learn to directional punt. He used to show up and kick in the facility at all hours of the night and notes that he would never be allowed to do that now. 

Now apply that to trying to install an entire game plan. They only have time to dial in a relatively small amount of plays, reads, and checks. It is kind of like when an F1 team gets the set up wrong. They’re just sort of locked into their mistake for an entire race/game.

very fair point Mango.

my gripe w sean is not his in game adjustments -- they are never radical but there have been lots of bright spot, but the fact that he knew about this game months in advance and just didn't really show what i thought was needed.  

someone made a comment about the bounce back against houston will tell us a lot, i think that's a second gut check of this season.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Kaenon said:

First game I ever turned off early and went to bed. 

Granted super sick and needed the rest, but yeah - not even ashamed.

Same. I turned it off in the 4th. I also was not feeling hot, went in the game feeling like we would lose and get run all over, and somehow even still this game managed to surpass my horrible expectations. 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, colin said:

I think this was the insiders take too.  the ravens have a sick and power o, awful for our d, but if we scored a few TDs it woudla changed the game script.  lack of focus and intensity, poor execution, and some really bad scheme and play calls did us in on O.

i look at the kc game last playoffs, that kc team that night was better than the ravens last night, this bills team didn't show up as much as that one did.  they did whatever they wanted on O to us, but we kept up and had a luck TO in our end.  if bass hits the fg, maybe we make them punt and steal a win.

so as much of a nagging negative Nancy ninny pants as i am, i think they way forward is to get the O smarter and executing at a high level, and patch up the d enough to just not get trucked.  It's just annoying that it's the old pile but a different day sometimes.

very fair point Mango.

my gripe w sean is not his in game adjustments -- they are never radical but there have been lots of bright spot, but the fact that he knew about this game months in advance and just didn't really show what i thought was needed.  

someone made a comment about the bounce back against houston will tell us a lot, i think that's a second gut check of this season.

Totally agreed on the Houston point for both players, coaches, and the FO vision for this years team. 

I also think Lewis, Spector, and Hamlin are too much for this defense to absorb consistently. The other 8 guys have to play at a really high level to make those 3 effective. One misread, slip, etc and those guys get exposed. 

This game reminds me of the Bucs Chiefs Super Bowl.  Chiefs came in with this high flying offense, only to be physically dominated by the Bucs.  Coaching played a factor, but the Bucs were hungry and just manhandled the Chiefs.

These games happen, Bills need to bounce back next week