9/29/2024 Bills @ Ravens post game thread

BuffaloBill

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Bass can not kick another FG for this team. Anything other than him being gone this week is inexcusable. He was great a few years ago but it’s over. You can’t keep feeling like you have to score TDs because this guy is scattershot. It’s completely lazy to continue to send him out there. I don’t know that the next guy will be better but I know THIS guy isn’t good enough.

That’s just yelling at clouds.

- The Bills have 3.8M in cap space.
- It will cost the Bills $3M to cut Bass

A new kicker will likely cost the rest of that money. Plus the team will need $3-4M to navigate injuries. So cutting Bass and signing another kicker will require the Bills to either cut or restructure an additional player. 

The Bills could very well go down this path. But if they do I don’t think it will be until after the halfway point of the season and they have a better idea of their injury situation. They just don’t have the freedom act quickly at the moment. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

That’s just yelling at clouds.

- The Bills have 3.8M in cap space.
- It will cost the Bills $3M to cut Bass

A new kicker will likely cost the rest of that money. Plus the team will need $3-4M to navigate injuries. So cutting Bass and signing another kicker will require the Bills to either cut or restructure an additional player. 

The Bills could very well go down this path. But if they do I don’t think it will be until after the halfway point of the season and they have a better idea of their injury situation. They just don’t have the freedom act quickly at the moment. 

A street kicker will be dirt cheap. Do whatever you have to do to make it so Bass isn’t on the team. You want to find a creative way to get rid of him whatever. He can’t kick. You do not keep a kicker that sucks over 3 million dollars. These games he can lose us are worth 10x that 

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Mango said:

Dude, step off the ledge. Holding a second year TE to the standard of info of the 3 best TE’s to ever play the game is insane. 

At the moment Kincaid is pretty good which is an excellent trajectory for a kid 4 games into in his second year. 

Kincaid had a pretty good game today. He wasn’t a problem even worth discussing today. Brady, the OL, Babich, the entire defense, and McD deserve all the blame for this one.

I don’t think there’s a problem with him. There’s A MAJOR usage problem from personnel/ coaches / philosophy standpoint 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

A street kicker will be dirt cheap. Do whatever you have to do to make it so Bass isn’t on the team. You want to find a creative way to get rid of him whatever. He can’t kick. You do not keep a kicker that sucks over 3 million dollars. These games he can lose us are worth 10x that 

You want a dirt cheap kicker who no one else wants?  The two guys we brought in last week actually have lower accuracy percentages than Bass.

Im not a fan of Bass right now either but I don’t want to take a cap hit on a worse kicker.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

s/o to the guy on WGR who just claimed the league is rigged which is in part why we lost last night, and then went on to say that after last night's loss, he doesn't even want to watch football any more. One, if you think is rigged why watch (or give a crap) and two, When did we all get so soft?  🤔

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Heitz said:

s/o to the guy on WGR who just claimed the league is rigged which is in part why we lost last night, and then went on to say that after last night's loss, he doesn't even want to watch football any more. One, if you think is rigged why watch (or give a crap) and two, When did we all get so soft?  🤔

People believe all kinds of crazy sh- these days.  Folks are struggling with the mentals.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Heitz said:

• Social media amplifies conspiracy theories. The flat earth movement is growing at an alarming rate. Sports are not immune to this at all.
  • Losses hurt more now than they used to. The 24/7 NFL content creator attention economy now means that we have to experience losses not just once on Sunday/Monday, but all week because it will get discussed over and over on every corner of the internet/radio/TV. And it's all hot takes and absolutes because that's what drives clicks/ratings.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Heitz said:

See, this is why I am always glass half empty with the Bills. People call me a cynical old misery which is probably true, but when we started to get blown out last night I wasn't surprised or angered or crying into my whiskey glass. I just snorted, said "ah what an a** whooping" and went to bed. 

People say that's a miserable way to follow your team but I think it's way better than people like that caller. He probably settled down in front of the TV expecting the Bills to blow out the Ravens like they did the Jags, and it was no doubt a slap in the face for him when the opposite happened.

I know there are people who are wildly optimistic and also handle the losses well, and they're the ones we should all aspire to be, but I'm not one of them. I'll just fully expect another humiliation at the hands of the Texans, with Diggs getting over 100 yards and 2 scores, that way if we win the game I'll be on cloud 9

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve been saying it for 5 years or so.

the HC has been great for this team / franchise, but he’s brought them as far as he’s able to.

it’s sad to say, but it is what is at this point.

he had no answer for anything.

deer in the headlights syndrome.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Savage said:

I’ve been saying it for 5 years or so.

the HC has been great for this team / franchise, but he’s brought them as far as he’s able to.

it’s sad to say, but it is what is at this point.

he had no answer for anything.

deer in the headlights syndrome.

Totally.

just clams up. As soon as he saw Henry rip up 75 yards against HIS D. He know he has dog bleep backups in. His mind will immediately go into “gotta protect the D.” Spills over to the offense. And that’s why he inexplicably didn’t go for 4 and 1 on 39 a second time. He’s a front runner. He’ll be “aggressive” in neutral early game or bills up a ton spots. 

And he’s probably too involved in the draft process. Too many nice guys / coach on the field types 

Edited by balln
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

See, this is why I am always glass half empty with the Bills...but when we started to get blown out last night I wasn't surprised or angered or crying into my whiskey glass. I just snorted, said "ah what an a** whooping" and went to bed. 

As an eternal optimist I did the same thing (though I made it through the entire game), but my attitude was more "Welp, we just got our teeth kicked in, that sucked, but it's the NFL sometimes that happens. Let's see how we respond".  Of course, that's just me, my friends are ready to sell their tickets already 🤣 🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Yikes. IDK if there’s much you can take from an ass kicking like that. How hey bounce back (or not) against Houston will tell me a lot more about this team.

Have you been watching for the past five years or so?

it’s ugly face rears itself every so often.

I was not surprised that their offense had its ways with our defense. As others have stated, they were uniquely suited -- both in terms of personnel and scheme -- to attack the weakened spine of the Bills defense. I absolutely think things would have been different defensively if Bernard and Johnson were playing, and CERTAINLY would have been different if Milano was playing, too.

What DID surprise me was how thoroughly their defense stymied our offense. They had creative overload pressures all night long that our offensive line did not adapt to, and they played man coverage behind it. Typically, blitzing and playing man coverage are the exact two things you DON'T want to do against Josh Allen. The Ravens, though, showed that they had the defensive personnel and scheme to make it work.

The good news is that I don't think there are many (any?) other teams in the league that are going to be able to replicate the gameplans the Ravens just put on film. Not many offenses have the size and physicality to do what the Ravens did. Not many defenses have the man coverage corners and pass rushers to do what the Ravens did. 

That being said, both Bobby Babich and Joe Brady will need to show that they have counter-punches and scheme evolutions to deal with these things, should they arise again. I don't believe the Bills were "figured out" last night, or that they suddenly just have bad coaching and bad players. Quite simply, they got punched in the mouth by a hungry and talented opponent on the road. Time to get back into the lab, practice hard, and get ready for next week.

On to Houston.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Anyone who thinks the NFL is rigged has severe issues.

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

I was not surprised that their offense had its ways with our defense. As others have stated, they were uniquely suited -- both in terms of personnel and scheme -- to attack the weakened spine of the Bills defense. I absolutely think things would have been different defensively if Bernard and Johnson were playing, and CERTAINLY would have been different if Milano was playing, too.

What DID surprise me was how thoroughly their defense stymied our offense. They had creative overload pressures all night long that our offensive line did not adapt to, and they played man coverage behind it. Typically, blitzing and playing man coverage are the exact two things you DON'T want to do against Josh Allen. The Ravens, though, showed that they had the defensive personnel and scheme to make it work.

The good news is that I don't think there are many (any?) other teams in the league that are going to be able to replicate the gameplans the Ravens just put on film. Not many offenses have the size and physicality to do what the Ravens did. Not many defenses have the man coverage corners and pass rushers to do what the Ravens did. 

That being said, both Bobby Babich and Joe Brady will need to show that they have counter-punches and scheme evolutions to deal with these things, should they arise again. I don't believe the Bills were "figured out" last night, or that they suddenly just have bad coaching and bad players. Quite simply, they got punched in the mouth by a hungry and talented opponent on the road. Time to get back into the lab, practice hard, and get ready for next week.

On to Houston.

They actually did make great halftime adjustments (especially on defense) that were all destroyed by that stupid trick play call. 

• Agree 1

Needed to mix in some 5 man fronts on D (ie: move a safety or LB off an edge).  I'm sure that will be the adjustment if we play again.

On offense, I thought we could have used more deep overs and deep outs.  Oline was getting abused up the middle all night, so it starts with better protection-which has been a strong suit so far.  Some of the overload pressures created havoc, I feel like the pass pro is fixable.  I do think we need to make a trade at the deadline to find an outside WR with more speed/can create more separation. Josh is making good decisions but having to thread the needle on too many throws.

• Like (+1) 2

The backups looked like backups last night. 

- He's a great story and I do think he's a capable NFL player but Hamlin is not a NFL starter. When you're going against Trevor Lawrence or Tua, you can get away with it. When you're going against top tier quarterbacks and offenses, your safety play has to be better. And he was also just caught out of position too frequently.

- The linebackers at least have some hope with Bernard coming back. Maybe Milano comes back too but you can't count on that. But Bernard/Williams is just so different than Williams/whoever

- The defensive line LOOKED like it was full of backups last night and that's the most disappointing thing to me. Going against a weakened offensive line and you can't pressure the quarterback or slow down Henry before he hits the second level. If you aren't pressuring the quarterback and you give him time, you'll always find holes in our zone defense especially without Taron.

- The corners were fine I guess. Hard to cover guys for as long as they had to when our line couldn't get pressure and the safeties were our of position. We needed them to make a big play or two though. 

- We got out coached and outschemed on the defensive side too.

Offensively man I think the two punts by McD were HUGE decisions that killed us. You're playing the Ravens in Baltimore in primetime. Don't give them the ball back for free. I also think we stopped using motion to our advantage and Brady was way too predictable. I don't mind the underneath passing approach with a run game to support it but we didn't do anything to give the Ravens confusing looks. Coleman dropping that deep ball was also killer. I won't even start on the trick play.

Everything went wrong last night and if two or three decisions/plays go different, you're still in the game despite the final score. I'm not worried. But that can't happen again. Good teams bounce back. Houston is a tough game on the road but you have to bounce back. 

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

On to Houston.

Excellent post, thanks!!

• Thank you (+1) 1