9/29/2024 Bills @ Ravens post game thread

BuffaloBill

10 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

We need Taron back. Cam Lewis is always in position to make the play but he always misses the damn tackle. That’s not just tonight either. I haven’t said anything because it hasn’t mattered before tonight. 

Cams job isn’t just to make the tackle. It’s also to take the play away. Something he hasn’t dont much of. He’s near the top of the list in total tackles. He gets targeted quite a bit. 

6 minutes ago, Breakout Squad said:

Epenesa was non existent as usual too. 

Me personally, I'd like to see Solomon in there on passing downs rather than AJ.  If we can't get a push up front, we at least need to try for force the opposing QB out of the pocket or step up into it by getting pressure off the edge.

Regarding the trick play - aside from calling it at that point of the game, the play itself was so weird/bad.  You take the guy who gets the snap and has the attention of the defense - then have that guy run right at Allen so then when he gets it everyone is already focused on that area.  The only thing I can think is that Van Noy blew it up so fast, that It was supposed to be more of a reverse with Josh continuing across the field, but with Van Noy right there he audibled and tried to go back to the left.  At the snap Knox is lined up over Van Noy, but ignores him and runs to the right (and Dion subsequently totally whiffs on Van Noy) which also makes me think Knox's respnsibilty was blocking the back side for when Allen came around.  Regardless - a complete mess all around.  The all-22 also shows no one open downfield anyway.  Put it in the basement of the Louvre.

I also think with Samuel the turf toe might still be an issue and sadly might be for a long while - as long as that is true I don't think we'll really get any meaningful production out of him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Gawd that makes me miss Berman, Jackson and their whole production crew.

They were sooooo good

So much better than what we have today.

The other thing I took away from watching that was (as usual) how many hits on defenseless receivers would have been called today.  Andre took a shot on his TD catch and there were others.

Another thing that stands out ... Steve Christie absolutely nailed a 55-yard game-tying FG right down the middle.  If that was us, today?  We probably have a better chance scoring with a Hail Mary.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Heathcliff said:

WTH?  Henry in the game for garbage time to get to 200?  Coaching and player arrogance!  It would have been criminal if he had gotten hurt. 

It would have been deserved.

11 hours ago, balln said:

Kincaid did well?! 5 for 47!?!? And he had two drops. He’s supposed to be Kelce. How about 1 . 1 game with that production!?! Again I blame it mostly on the coaches 

Dude, step off the ledge. Holding a second year TE to the standard of info of the 3 best TE’s to ever play the game is insane. 

At the moment Kincaid is pretty good which is an excellent trajectory for a kid 4 games into in his second year. 

Kincaid had a pretty good game today. He wasn’t a problem even worth discussing today. Brady, the OL, Babich, the entire defense, and McD deserve all the blame for this one.

Edited by Mango
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Regarding the trick play - aside from calling it at that point of the game, the play itself was so weird/bad.  You take the guy who gets the snap and has the attention of the defense - then have that guy run right at Allen so then when he gets it everyone is already focused on that area.  The only thing I can think is that Van Noy blew it up so fast, that It was supposed to be more of a reverse with Josh continuing across the field, but with Van Noy right there he audibled and tried to go back to the left.  At the snap Knox is lined up over Van Noy, but ignores him and runs to the right (and Dion subsequently totally whiffs on Van Noy) which also makes me think Knox's respnsibilty was blocking the back side for when Allen came around.  Regardless - a complete mess all around.  The all-22 also shows no one open downfield anyway.  Put it in the basement of the Louvre.

I also think with Samuel the turf toe might still be an issue and sadly might be for a long while - as long as that is true I don't think we'll really get any meaningful production out of him.

I agree, if you look at the blockers they shoot out to the right on the snap. I kind of think that Allen was supposed to continue to the right but Van Noy came through untouched and killed it. If that were the case Allen should have just chucked it out of bounds or eaten it. But it was such a cluster I sort of get why he didn’t have much time to think about what to do.

14 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Agree the design was poor, execution just as bad.   But the point it happened seemed fine, momentum was swinging big time, having that "work" would have potentially changed the way the rest of the game was played.   A turnover there was terrible but I dont hate the idea of trying something, that play though seemed like it had no chance from the beginning.  Josh should have ate it...there was nothing downfield.

It was clear that they got pushed around on both sides... but especially on defense.  They are not physically equipped for a game like that.  Most notably, sadly, Damar Hamlin.  He looked like a kid out there.  Not only that, he seems really slow as well.  I appreciate the story and the man, but I would think that almost any other off-the-street safety (including Hyde) would be better than Hamlin.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Lines on both sides of the ball got beat down. Manhandled all game. Love 17 but he needs to work on blitz reads. Ravens put on a clinic in every facet of game. 

Go Bills, get right and take it out on Houston

After sleeping on it, I came to this conclusion. This Bills defense is not built to stop power running teams. Luckily there aren't very many of them left in the NFL. We just happened to play one last night. And to make it worse, it was a bunch of read options with Lamar Jackson and Derrick Henry. In retrospect, I should have seen this coming. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Success said:

Do we stick w/ Bass?  He is so inconsistent.  We were scrapping there, and that miss really hurt.

We have to unless he completely implodes. His cap number is quite large. Cutting him would basically eat up the rest of our space. We’d have to make another cut or restructure somebody on the roster to have room to both navigate injuries and sign another kicker. 

Right now Bass is about $4.4M on the roster and $7.4 off the roster. Bills have $3.8M in space. 

We have an out after this season and we save $1M by cutter him next year. Which is likely a lock at this point. 

(Somebody mentioned a post June designation in another thread a few weeks ago. I cannot think of an example of a mid season cut with a June 1 designation. Unsure if that’s allowed.)

• Like (+1) 1

The D line continues to be my biggest frustration with this build.  Massive investment for often invisible play.  

Groot is FAR too inconsistent.  He has flashes of dominance and then you don't see him for weeks.  Oliver is similar.  Espensesa is not even that.  Jones does not appear to be the same player he showed early last year.  

All of these big draft pick investments and we had to go out and sign Von to a big deal because we still needed an impact player.  Then he got hurt and is now 35.

With all of the capital invested in this unit it should be much more consistently impactful.

• Disagree 1

35 minutes ago, DaVinci said:

Have Mcd take over defense before Babich tanks our season. This is no time for on the job training 

This is supposed to be a “re-tool” year. If it was ever a season for on the job training it would be this one.

• Agree 1

Bass can not kick another FG for this team. Anything other than him being gone this week is inexcusable. He was great a few years ago but it’s over. You can’t keep feeling like you have to score TDs because this guy is scattershot. It’s completely lazy to continue to send him out there. I don’t know that the next guy will be better but I know THIS guy isn’t good enough.