9/29/2024 Bills @ Ravens post game thread

BuffaloBill

36 minutes ago, balln said:

And yet we get a 16/29 180 yard NO td performance. At this point in his career. He can’t look like he did pre snap. And vs blitzes. Supposed to have “learned” from Cincy playoff game right? Not 

What we learned last night is that we're set up to function off the run game.  Which wasn't working and which was abandoned.  

We also learned that we need to at least attempt a couple of deep shots here and there so that the easy money hitch comes back into play now and again.  Whether it's outside or running to green off mesh it has to happen. Everyone is going to sit on us and start beating on our receivers at catch point if we don't make them respect the deep ball a bit. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

The trick play came after the Bills had held them to two successive punts, and the offense had scored a TD on the previous drive? Plus the series record prior to the call was 24 yard pass, 6 yard run, 4 yard run, 3 yard run. It was 2&7 from Baltimore's 47. At time it felt like the momentum was swinging to back towards the Bills.

Not to mention, upon further review, the throw was going to a double covered Mack Hollins 40yds downfield. About a 0.01% chance of him catching it, even if the throw was perfect. 

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Cubanmist said:

In my opinion, if Allen floats that ball out it’s an interception.

Let’s not blame one bad play in why we lost. We lost cause we sucked from beginning to end! Sucked!!

As critical as I am, the most annoying thing is the Bills didn't suck at the start of the third quarter. Ravens punt, Bills TD, Ravens punt. There had seemingly been adjustments and the game was turning. Then that call on 2 and 7. That's where the game actually lost. They may have managed to get it to at least a one score game with proper play calling on that drive.

The starting safeties should be Bishop and Edwards, not Rapp and Hamlin.

Douglas has fallen off a bit this year.  It may be time to work Elam into the rotation.

Edwards had his worst game as a Bill - his first half was brutal.

The game plans on both sides of the ball were poor.  Should’ve crowded the box on defense.  On offense, the short horizontal passes were never going to work.  And the trick play struck me as a coach trying to pad his resume for a head coaching gig - and ending up showing the world that he does not yet have the situational awareness to be a head coach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Captain_Quint said:

Not to mention, upon further review, the throw was going to a double covered Mack Hollins 40yds downfield. About a 0.01% chance of him catching it, even if the throw was perfect. 

Right. So I don’t know why we’re protecting him. Allen needs to have the maturity and just dirt it. The play wasn’t there. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Call. But “mvp” qb needs to make the no play there

• Eyeroll 1

Honestly I'm just chalking this one up as "one of those games". They looked unprepared in every facet of the game from backups to starters to coaches. That's not acceptable at all but sometimes it just happens I guess. How they respond will be key. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, stlbills13 said:

Honestly I'm just chalking this one up as "one of those games". They looked unprepared in every facet of the game from backups to starters to coaches. That's not acceptable at all but sometimes it just happens I guess. How they respond will be key. 

Normally I would be. But this was a playoff type game. And in the playoff games this looked exactly

like Cincy. And kc last year abused the D. So I don’t think it’s that easy to sweep this under the rug

The whole game was a mess, and the gameplan coming into it didn't make a whole lot of sense. 

Hamlin needs to be out as the starting safety. Bishop should be playing that role, we need some athletic talent in the backfield. 

The linebackers are backups and it shows when they're put to the test.  Dorian Williams needs to just play better, and Spector is too limited to be very effective against a power run scheme that has the speed element Baltimore does.

Our zone defense didn't work because there was no edge pressure. This always seems to happen whenever we play a team that has a narrative about a beat up offensive line, it's like karmic abuse or something. 

Cam Lewis got spanked all night. I still don't think he's good enough consistently to be a backup. 

The offense did not execute.  The line was bad, drops, goofy stuff through and through. I think if we weren't playing from behind the entire night things may have looked differently, but they got stressed out there and it showed. 

The good news is Taron Johnson and Bernard might be back soon.  

1 minute ago, balln said:

Normally I would be. But this was a playoff type game. And in the playoff games this looked exactly

like Cincy. And kc last year abused the D. So I don’t think it’s that easy to sweep this under the rug

I do agree with this generally. And McD coached like it too. Multiple punts in situations where you have to trust Josh Allen to get you 1-2 yards. Especially when your defense can't stop anything. Maybe I'm naive or just feeling extra optimistic today but I'm willing to say it was a short week on the road against a team who felt like they needed it more and that it won't be a regular occurrence. But we better show up next week in Houston.

I will say though, the defensive backups really looked like backups last night. The disappointing thing for me is I know they aren't quite as talented physically but the amount of times our defensive guys were just out of place last night was horrid. And the defensive line is healthy but they basically looked worthless last night. Hard to win without a pass rush when your back 7 is 5 backup caliber players. 

Allen’s lowest fantasy output in 5 years. Lol. Unbelievable THATS the most alarming. 

Better figure it out quick beane (trade) and Brady - gonna have to develop a passing game. Go back to the 2021 concepts when you gotta throw.

Allen is not gonna thrive as a dink and dunk accurate passer. 

Josh was right.  That place was a buzzsaw last night. I was there and it was more electric than other Ravens games I've attended.  Their fans were ready too. Cocky yes, but they knew they would steamroll us.  I have to give Rex Ryan props too,..  he predicted the exact outcome on ESPN Sunday morning.  Said the Bills won't stop Henry and Baltimore is the better team and will prove it on the field.  And they did.

Josh was not in the mood to scramble for extra yards last night, I get it, we need him to stay on the field.  Baltimores trenches were better than ours and more dominant.  That will screw up the entire game.   All the media talking heads who ripped our WR corp look smart today.  We have Shakir and just some guys.  Allen has zero chemistry with Hollins and Samuel.  Coleman will continue to improve but he doesn't get separation as of now so every pass to him is a 50/50 ball.  Maybe they won't this season but Beane will need to sign/Trade for an elite WR at some point.  In closing, I am now the proud Bills fan who has been there in person to view Derrick Henry rip off TD runs against Buffalo of 76 yards vs Tennessee (2021) and 87 yards vs Baltimore (2024).  I will not be attending any more Derrick Henry games,  He's the man and I feel beaten down by him.

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, balln said:

Right. So I don’t know why we’re protecting him. Allen needs to have the maturity and just dirt it. The play wasn’t there. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Call. But “mvp” qb needs to make the no play there

Not untrue but IDC 2 & 7 and a direct snap to a WR is a DUMB play that got our qb wrecked, a turnover and killed momentum.  When you have a qb with the caliber of a JA you play the odds and utilize his strength and straight up talent.  We’re lucky that play wasn’t a season ender!

Edited by PayDaBill$

Did anyone notice how several players on the sidelines appeared to grimace and hunch over a lot?  My theory is that they all ate a big steamy pot of chili before the game at Josh's house and they didn't give their tummies enough time to settle before kickoff.  This caused them to be sluggish the entire first half and by the time they had stinkied up the bathrooms at halftime, it was far too late to salvage the game.  The damage had been done!!

Just now, PayDaBill$ said:

IDC 2 & 7 and a direct snap to a WR is a DUMB play that got our qb wrecked, a turnover and killed momentum.  When you have a qb the caliber of JA play the odds and utilize his strength and straight up talent.  We’re lucky that play wasn’t a season ended!

The play call

doesnt excuse Allen for just throwing it oob or in the dirt. Just make the no play. He can see double covered hollins the whole

way.  He can’t help

himself 

The reality is I thought that this was the hardest game on schedule headed into the season.  We got our butts whipped, let’s learn from this, take our medicine and move on.  There’s a good chance we play Baltimore again in the playoffs. They are a damn good team.

Just now, bills6969 said:

The reality is I thought that this was the hardest game on schedule headed into the season.  We got our butts whipped, let’s learn from this, take our medicine and move on.  There’s a good chance we play Baltimore again in the playoffs. They are a damn good team.

We want no part of playing Baltimore in "the bank" again.  We would lose there, even their backups on D are so physical and play tight coverage.  I'd rather play KC at Arrowhead than these guys.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, zow2 said:

We want no part of playing Baltimore in "the bank" again.  We would lose there, even their backups on D are so physical and play tight coverage.  I'd rather play KC at Arrowhead than these guys.

Goal would be to play them in Buffalo.  But either way, would need to knock them out and KC to get to a Super Bowl.

38 minutes ago, balln said:

Lol what? 
Last night you said those regular season wins against KC didn’t count because it wasn’t the playoffs.  Now last nights game was a playoff type game?  What were those Sunday Night games at KC?  Those weren’t playoff like games?!  What??

Edited by Royale with Cheese

52 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

As critical as I am, the most annoying thing is the Bills didn't suck at the start of the third quarter. Ravens punt, Bills TD, Ravens punt. There had seemingly been adjustments and the game was turning. Then that call on 2 and 7. That's where the game actually lost. They may have managed to get it to at least a one score game with proper play calling on that drive.

Assuming Bass could make it, they only needed a FG on that drive to make it a one score game. We were already at midfield.