9/29/2024 Bills @ Ravens post game thread

BuffaloBill

49 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Brady is getting a lot of grief for the failed trick play. I disagree. In context of the game at the time. Consider that we had just gone 3 straight 3 and outs, sandwiched around 2 Raven TD drives. Everyone knows this is how Baltimore games go -scoring early while shutting down the opponents’ offense- and they win most of the time. What Brady did was an attempt to break out of this typical dilemma the Ravens can be counted on to do. Did the ‘switcheroo reverse’ go horribly wrong, getting Josh hurt and fumbling the ball away? Definitely yes. But I admire the call. Had it gone successfully, we likely score then or very soon after, making the game very close with a lot of time remaining. But it failed and now Brady sucks. Such is the life span of the NFL.

🤷‍♂️

The trick play came after the Bills had held them to two successive punts, and the offense had scored a TD on the previous drive? Plus the series record prior to the call was 24 yard pass, 6 yard run, 4 yard run, 3 yard run. It was 2&7 from Baltimore's 47. At time it felt like the momentum was swinging to back towards the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Brady is getting a lot of grief for the failed trick play. I disagree. In context of the game at the time. Consider that we had just gone 3 straight 3 and outs, sandwiched around 2 Raven TD drives. Everyone knows this is how Baltimore games go -scoring early while shutting down the opponents’ offense- and they win most of the time. What Brady did was an attempt to break out of this typical dilemma the Ravens can be counted on to do. Did the ‘switcheroo reverse’ go horribly wrong, getting Josh hurt and fumbling the ball away? Definitely yes. But I admire the call. Had it gone successfully, we likely score then or very soon after, making the game very close with a lot of time remaining. But it failed and now Brady sucks. Such is the life span of the NFL.

🤷‍♂️

Brady failed because the play was blown up from the get-go, and neither Samuel nor Josh were coached up enough to recognize and abort the play.

We hadn't run a direct snap all year, so running a trick/gadget out of that look was piss poor decision-making. You run a trick once people are biting on something you've set up by after running the look vanilla. You run a trick once your players are comfortable enough to execute to perfection, and can recognize when to abort.

Brady's called some great games but he deserves all the flack for that idea. McDermott, too.

• Disagree 1

20 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

The trick play came after the Bills had held them to two successive punts, and the offense had scored a TD on the previous drive? Plus the series record prior to the call was 24 yard pass, 6 yard run, 4 yard run, 3 yard run. It was 2&7 from Baltimore's 47. At time it felt like the momentum was swinging to back towards the Bills.

Agree, thought it wasn't the time for that type of call myself, especially when your Oline is having a tough time blocking as it is.

Edited by Patrick Duffy

amazing the coverage is saying giving it all to Lamar Jackson who did not have a solid game. Two great passes then floating it over our very slow DB's while we stuffed the box on our heels waiting for Henry to run at us.

Allen was not at all good which makes this more glaringly sad but Jackson didn't have a solid day.

it's hilariously pathetic that this guy gets propped up like he does when he is a system manager who can run the ball.

8 hours ago, henry jones said:

That trick play.  Yikes.  Didn’t see any other angles.  Was somebody open downfield?  

I don’t have a problem with gadgets once in awhile, but the timing of that one and knowing that JA would have to throw it quick and most likely get blasted…just ridiculous.

In my opinion, if Allen floats that ball out it’s an interception.

8 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

Brady failed because the play was blown up from the get-go, and neither Samuel nor Josh were coached up enough to recognize and abort the play.

We hadn't run a direct snap all year, so running a trick/gadget out of that look was piss poor decision-making. You run a trick once people are biting on something you've set up by after running the look vanilla. You run a trick once your players are comfortable enough to execute to perfection, and can recognize when to abort.

Brady's called some great games but he deserves all the flack for that idea. McDermott, too.

Let’s not blame one bad play in why we lost. We lost cause we sucked from beginning to end! Sucked!!

7 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

If the defense is that bad it actually helps Allen’s mvp chances ironically enough 🤣 a lot of his issue has been he misses a quarter plus of games where he could be dunking all over a defense with no answers pretty frequently because the game is a blowout 

And yet we get a 16/29 180 yard NO td performance. At this point in his career. He can’t look like he did pre snap. And vs blitzes. Supposed to have “learned” from Cincy playoff game right? Not 

8 minutes ago, Cubanmist said:

Let’s not blame one bad play in why we lost. We lost cause we sucked from beginning to end! Sucked!!

Nowhere in my post did I do that.

I agree, it was a full team effort to suck that badly. All three phases were in lockstep, lol.

It was a plain old-fashioned ass-kicking.  Ravens brought their A+ game and we were flat.  It happens-- all the time.  It only counts as one loss and we are in first place in a weak division.  Flush that game.  What matters is not getting slaughtered, it is how the team responds.

• Like (+1) 1

Well we were not going to go 17-0. I shut the game off after 14-3 as i kinda saw that writ ing on the wall. The newer Transformers movie was not much better!! LOL Funny to watch the board after an ass kicking! The group of "Super bowl bound" are in rare form!! LOL It was a ***** game on all sides. A smaller taste of reality just hit the team. How they react is going to be the telling tale. It is one loss.... ok an ass kicking tbh, but it is only game 4 and our division is still hot trash. 

20 minutes ago, Cubanmist said:

In my opinion, if Allen floats that ball out it’s an interception.

nah, that tricked play Brady called killed them, and almost got Josh killed.  

needed to get it to 21-17.  What an absolute bonehead call

It’s good to see the board has calmed down after sleeping on it.  🙄

Anyway, those of us who are old enough will remember a game against Denver in 1997 when we were getting spanked for three quarters, then AVP came in for Todd Collins and mounted a fourth quarter comeback to tie, and the offense was running through the Denver defense in overtime like a hot knife through butter when our OC — was it Tom Bresnahan?  I can’t remember and don’t care — decided that this would be a great time to run a reverse with Andre Reed passing the ball.  Alfred Williams shot through a gaping hole, blew up the play, caused a fumble, killed all of Buffalo’s momentum, and we lost.

I was at that game watching in horror as the play unfolded.  Watch at about 3:30.  My reaction to this play was the same as last night. Sometimes offensive coordinators need to be protected from themselves.

Edited by BRH

Listening to the WGR morning show....they are beside themselves on the 4th and short decisions....since they lost it is easy to go back and say hey just go and see what would have happened. They are pointing to analytics and are confused which is true, the analytics said go but I think it is clear McDermott uses more variables than analytics, specifically it seems obvious (to me) he is using his judgment of how likely his team is to push the other team around to pick up the first down.  He correctly was not nearly as confident as the other games this year.  The Ravens played this game desperately, had a great game plan and executed well.  Sometimes this stuff happens, I am good moving on without panicking about "decisions" or "weapons"....for me the judgement will always be the playoffs.

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

It was a moronic call.  Especially because Allen wasn't a decoy.  That's kind of thing that, if one has to be so stupid as to run it, it's put on film as a wildcat a couple of times first before the pitch to Allen.  Dumb all the way around. 

8 hours ago, Nitro said:

Learn from this game and move forward.  Total failure from top to bottom.  This team was not ready physically or mentally.  Baltimore imposed their will upon the Bills.  

There was an interview with Ingraham one of the days before the game and all he talked about was stopping them by "being physical" - in a way that i kept thinking balt will see this as a challenge.  Then later I saw an interview with Hamilton where he mentioned physicality as well - almost in response to Bills comments.  Balt responded also with their actual play on the field