9/29/2024 Bills @ Ravens post game thread

BuffaloBill

1 minute ago, ALG1130 said:

Going into the game, I felt they would do just that. Our run D is weak. Honestly, I don't know what this defense is. I mean, I think I have an idea, and it's not very good, but I seem to make people angry when I say this. I felt it would be weak coming into this season, but they tightened up against Arizona, and we allowed little points the next two weeks, but it felt more like blunders on Miami's offense(Tua and his int's) and Jacksonville did not look great. I never really felt like our D was dominating and felt they would get run over in this game. They did. I just don't think they are very good. They kind of can be if we start off with a lead, but we can't count on them to bail us out(they did have some moments tonight though, and of course Brady blundered big time). I am hoping when we get some key players back, the defense looks a lot different.

I want to know why year after year Pittsburgh and Baltimore always have a great defense. Hell, even The Chiefs have joined the party. Our offense isn't always going to light it up, so it would be nice to have a defense that could help when our offense 

The Raven gameplan was that their offense had more athletic dudes than our defense, and they were right.

A lot of this game was that 1-3 teams don't make the postseason in the current format, and the Ravens were playing for their season. It's never as good or as bad at it looks and sometimes it's more about when you play someone than who you play, and the last 2 weeks remind us of that.

I'll keep my energy here as someone who doesn't think McDermott should coach the team if he doesn't make an AFC title game this year: it's a long season, it's still early, and I still the Bills are a good team at a point where I don't want to have regular season conversation, but there are concerns...

Buffalo's defense is VERY unathletic this year, and becomes even more so when Johnson and Bernard and Milano all don't play. Seven years into this thing, the team is still missing a real, disruptive pass rusher on an individual level. Those two things answer your question about Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

The good news is there's going to be a lot of game reps for the offense against simulated pressures and sticky man coverage until they can beat it.

10 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

I knew going into this game if Henry got hit early it was going to be ugly - I did NOT THINK McDermott under estimated that but I guess he did and here we are 

sadly I’m not surprised and see us rebounding 

I don't think McDermott could do anything. Our defense doesn't have the size or speed to deal with a powerful guy like Henry.

If he ever got past our line, he was going to punish our secondary more than they could punish him. 

Injuries didn't help, but the Ravens offense was just way better than our D.

What stung the most is how pathetic our offense looked against their D. Our offense did worse than any other team the Ravens played this year. That's just sad.

I'm also sad for Allen's MVP chances. Thankfully, it's early in the season, but I'd rather see the Chiefs again than the Ravens. As long as Henry's there, they're a bad match up. 

If we don't come out & beat the Texans, those "September Champs" voices will get much louder. Lot of Bills fans have been calling Lamar "overrated" this season, so expect it to come back 10 fold ☹️

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I don't think McDermott could do anything. Our defense doesn't have the size or speed to deal with a powerful guy like Henry.

If he ever got past our line, he was going to punish our secondary more than they could punish him. 

What stung the most is how pathetic our offense looked against their D. Our offense did worse than any other team the Ravens played this year. That's just sad.

I'm also sad for Allen's MVP chances. Thankfully, it's early in the season, but I'd rather see the Chiefs again than the Ravens. As long as Henry's there, they're a bad match up. 

If the defense is that bad it actually helps Allen’s mvp chances ironically enough 🤣 a lot of his issue has been he misses a quarter plus of games where he could be dunking all over a defense with no answers pretty frequently because the game is a blowout 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Just now, Beast said:

Point flew right over your head, didn’t it? I’m not surprised.

I got the point. But still no Super Bowl win.

Yes, it is indeed possible they’ll bounce back. The division looks putrid this year with Tua down, the Jets struggling and the Pats being the current version of the Pats. The Bills should have a good chance of the play offs. Then what, a heroic fall akin to 13 seconds? Or being run over by someone like the Bengals or the Ravens?

If the Bills were going to lose a game out of Ravens, Texans and Jets I wanted it to be this one. I really don’t want to lose to Diggs and the Jets, well, obviously. But the manner of the defeat was dreadful. Emotion will spill over (especially at 5:20am). Next Sunday cannot come soon enough.

3 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I think Henry will be hurt before the playoffs. He's pretty old for that much usage at RB.

7 minutes ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

Watched Catholics vs Convicts last night  and moment I saw that gimmick play I immediately thought about what Lou Holtz said “if they are turning to gimmick plays, they don’t think they can beat you straight up”.  So unnecessary there.  

I don’t agree with that at all, the quote from Holtz.  The Pats ran trick plays with Brady and Im sure Belicheck wasn’t thinking they couldn’t win straight up.

• Like (+1) 1

One positive is that Coleman after the first miss, made 3 good catches.  

The problem with the D isn't that it is not athletic.  It's not a power group.  It's not designed and has never been designed to beat you with one on one physical matchups.  It's designed to make teams beat us by dinking and dunking until they make a mistake or we get pressure to the QB.  Balt's physical attack and winning the lines on both sides of the ball, took away what we do best.  Congrats to them.  Now Brady, McD and Babich need to examine how they do things and see if they can adjust because other team will try to do what Balt did tonight.

The good news is that Johnson and Bernard are on the mend and will be back soon, which should help on D.  Also we could learn from Balt's offense about motion and misdirection.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

One positive is that Coleman after the first miss, made 3 good catches.  

The problem with the D isn't that it is not athletic.  It's not a power group.  It's not designed and has never been designed to beat you with one on one physical matchups.  It's designed to make teams beat us by dinking and dunking until they make a mistake or we get pressure to the QB.  Balt's physical attack and winning the lines on both sides of the ball, took away what we do best.  Congrats to them.  Now Brady, McD and Babich need to examine how they do things and see if they can adjust because other team will try to do what Balt did tonight.

The good news is that Johnson and Bernard are on the mend and will be back soon, which should help on D.  Also we could learn from Balt's offense about motion and misdirection.

In fairness, the Bills have been using motion and misdirection so far this season. I’m not sure where it disappeared to tonight.

2 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/3-bills-to-blame-for-no-showing-in-primetime-against-ravens/ar-AA1rro7j?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=be908346f58947d6b8ff476e7ccd5ee9&ei=14

This article is well broken down and uh. This is the bottom line. 

Big Games MC D and his teams fail. Over and Over and Over again. 

I mean we usually perform well in big regular season games, this was an outlier

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not really in the mood to defend our coaches after that game, but what constitutes a big game that we fail in over and over?

Baltimore in Week 4 on SNF is apparently that, but not the past few times we’ve beaten KC in KC?

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

In fairness, the Bills have been using motion and misdirection so far this season. I’m not sure where it disappeared to tonight.

I'm not either.  They played tight formations with no motion.  Is was like they tried to go mono a mono with Balt and took ourselves out of what we do best.  Dumb!.  

PS: Nice win by Kentucky this week.  (Unless UK stands for United Kingdom).

Edited by GASabresIUFan

6 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/3-bills-to-blame-for-no-showing-in-primetime-against-ravens/ar-AA1rro7j?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=be908346f58947d6b8ff476e7ccd5ee9&ei=14

This article is well broken down and uh. This is the bottom line. 

Big Games MC D and his teams fail. Over and Over and Over again. 

Except when they don’t lol it’s just certain negative fans with an axe to grind downplay and make excuses to negate all the big wins.  When they become the grand arbiters of ‘what constitutes a big game’, they can just claim only the losses are big games 

heck we beat this very same team we lost to tonight the last two matchups 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan