The resurrection of Sam Darnold

Saxum

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DarnSa00.htm

Sam Darnold was terrible with JESTS (or were the JESTS terrible for Sam Darnold) and he was not successful as a backup QB with best record being 4-2-0 for Panthers in 2022.

The only good team he was on was 2023 for 49ers, the last game of the regular season.

Sam Darnold is looking great and not just only against poor defenses.  He is distributing the ball to different players not just to most highly paid WR in NFL.

Is this just a perfect situation making him look much better or is he smarter now on a better team?

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, yeah, I love a comeback story as much as the next guy…….but couldn’t he wait until NEXT year? I was hoping they would do less than expected for that 2nd round pick. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RoscoeParrish said:

He’s in the best offensive system in the NFL, with arguably a top 5 offensive cast.

This is the team that made Josh Dobbs look good for 5 weeks.

In the preseason, the general belief was that whoever was the QB would hold the team back because the team was that talented.  That belief was re-enforced when first round rookie QB JJ McCarthy was lost for the season during pre-season. 

Maybe Darnold working out with Josh in the offseason (I understand they're close friends and live on same street or something) has helped him a lot?  It's just a wild guess but could be a factor in his improvement.

Just now, Billznut said:

Good for him, very bad for our 2nd round pick from the Diggs trade. It’s now looking like both our 2nd round picks in the 2025 draft wont be great. Oh well. 

It is what it is.  As long as ours is 32nd in the round, IDGAF.

Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield are having amazing career rebirths after being thrown on the scrap heap.  When both were with Carolina & then Baker got waived, nobody could have seen their careers flourishing in 2024.

It will be interesting to see what Minnesota does at the end of the season.  Will they keep Darnold, sign him to a long-term contract & trade McCarthy?  That would be similar to what the Rams did when Warner emerged & Trent Green was not needed.  Will they let Darnold walk for nothing in return, since he's a UFA after this year?  I can see the Giants being very interested in bringing Darnold back to Met-Life. 

• Agree 1