How good would previous Bills QB’s have been with this current roster

Bills!Win!

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

If Brian Brohm was given a fair chance the Bills would have won multiple Super Bowls and cut the NE/Bill/Brady era in half. Pollution would be at an all time low. We would have flying cars by now.

I remember that when the Bills signed Brohm off GB's practice squad a lot of fans were so desperate for a QB that they actually thought Brohm could be the answer.  I got flamed by them when I tried to explain to them that our management at the time (Brandon, with Nix in the background) wasn't going to outsmart the other 30 GMs who could have signed Brohm at any time.  

The only thing worse than our QBs, was the front office who decided what QBs to draft,sign or trade for.  

2 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

This made me think of something - How would our former QBs do on this current roster? Is it Josh Allen that is making us win this year, do we actually have a solid roster, or is it a solid chemistry of both? 

It's both.

Guys like Losman, Fitz and Tyrod would have been better with this group than they were with theirs. But not as good as Allen has been.

Playoff contenders, but not beyond that, IMO.

So all off season we had this terrible roster, Beane should be held accountable or fired, etc.

Now suddenly we can win games with the inept and pathetic QBs of the past with this roster?  

Lol this board never ceases to deliver entertainment.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

Why would you think about JP Losman, Bledsoe, Fitz or Tyrod when we have Allen? I’m just curious since Allen has made me pretty much forget we were even terrible 8 years ago. It’s been such a fun ride that I refuse to go back there 😀

I agree.  Why would anyone care to even think about this?  It's either to slight our current roster, mock our past QB's or diminish Allen.  

4 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

You must have never seen Gary Marangi in 1976. 

I didn’t but it’s irrelevant. Peterman set the NFL record for futility. It’s not even a debate as to who the worst player in franchise history is. He had a 1:4 TD:INT ratio 😂😂. Peterman makes Marangi look like Peyton Manning. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rew said:

I actually think Fitz would be better now than he was when he played.  He was always a more cerebral quarterback than the guy that had the most athleticism.  He also had that "try hard" gene that sets some quarterbacks apart from others and can singlehandedly win games.  He also struggled with risk evaluation and could singlehandedly lose games (as has Josh at times).  With the way our line is playing and the whole offense is bought into doing their jobs and being in the right place at the right time he would absolutely have a winning record with us this year.  I'd see Fitz as a 9-12 win team this year with Allen a 10-14.  Floor is closer than ceiling.

Fitzpatrick also had the misfortune of playing for Bills team that couldn't play defense to save their lives. He was a game manager who rarely (if ever) was given the opportunity to simply manage a game.

Fitzmagic hero ball is certainly entertaining in its own way, but it's not conducive to sustained success by any means.

2 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

Since the 2nd half of the Arizona game our team has been on fire. As I sit here I can’t help but have PTSD from night games of years past. 

I have flashbacks of Bledsoe playing at Miami and New England and just getting strip sacked by Bruschi, Seymour and Jason Taylor in his statuesque manner 

I have flooding memories of JP Losman throwing interceptions right into the hands of Tully Banta-Cain when we are down 37 points 

I have nightmares of E.J. Manuel and Trent Edwards looking so average and barely being able to complete 5 yard check downs

i have painful feelings of Fitzpatrick and Taylor lighting it up for a few games and then coming back down to earth and playing terrible on Thursday nights 

I have a bad feeling about tonight’s game. Is it just PTSD from bad QB play? I keep having terrible visions of Allen getting thrown around like a ragdoll and having the ravens D-line devour him

This made me think of something - How would our former QBs do on this current roster? Is it Josh Allen that is making us win this year, do we actually have a solid roster, or is it a solid chemistry of both? 

Despite what a lot of people say, I think Buffalo has a solid starting roster from top to bottom and great depth w/ no huge drop off. No glaring weaknesses anywhere. Think of the team that broke the drought. Currently, we are more talented. If you swap TT or Ryan Fitzpatrick out for Josh Allen, they would carry the Bills to a respectable 8-9/9-8 record. Rely heavily on the run and play a more aggressive defense. 

I’ve also never seen Allen “get thrown around like a rag doll.” Especially against the Ravens who we have beat in the playoff and regular season. McDermott always has a great game plan for dual threat QBs. We handled Kyler Murray who is a better passer than Lamar. Lamar Jackson will get his yards + 2 TDs or so, but it’s not going to be a shoot out like the media thinks. The player I am most worried about is Likely. If Buffalo can hold Baltimore to under 20 points they will win convincingly. Ravens defense is a solid unit, but against the pass they are bottom of the barrel. Allen is going to murder them. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think any non-mobile QB would not have a chance with this offense for the mobility limits what defenses can do.

Doug Flutie and Tyrod Taylor are only QBs with enough mobility to thrive in it as long as HC does not tell them to not use their mobility to run.

The key thing that Joe Brady did was enforce idea with Josh to not keep going with deep ball when outlet which can make first down is available.

That would like help Fitzpatrick a lot.  He also has the mind to know where potential receivers are supposed to be.

The WR level we have now is better than we had with Taylor or Fitzpatrick but Stevie Johnson would be competing with other WRs for active slot.  Eric Moulds who Flurie had as a WR would be #1 WR.

Not sure if some of the players we have would have signed in Buffalo without Josh Allen's reputation however; 

I think most WRs asked whether playing for Josh Allen would improve their game they would say "yes".

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

It’s the rare occasion I disagree with Gunner, but I think this team would be 0.500 without Allen. He is the catalyst. He is the glue. 

Even the defense would play worse with a Tyrod or Fitz. You see defenses quit every week in the NFL because their offense has no fire.

Allen is the cog in this machine. Let’s not pretend like we have such a talented roster that we would win with average QB play. We don’t. 

100% agree.  The reason this offense goes is the same reason Baltimore can do what they do.  Teams cannot key in on any one thing because the QB can burn you multiple ways.  Josh even more so than Jackson.  You can’t say “ make Allen beat you with his arm”, he will.  You can’t say, “make them run the ball” because they will with either Cook, who is WAY better than I have him a chance to be or Allen who is a nightmare to defend on the run.   You can’t just put a spy on Allen and wait for the pocket to collapse because he doesn’t know what a pocket is and your spy will end up in the dirt if they come after him. 

This scheme works because Allen can kill a team in so many ways.  It wouldn’t work (nearly as well) with a guy like Tyrod or Fitz because they won’t gash you with every facet of the game, there is a weakness to exploit.  If we are being honest, the OL is good, not great.  The WRs arguably are the weakest group of individual talents in the league, props to Shakir, I think he’s a “starting slot” WR for many teams, but he’s the only one that’s a “sure” starter for more than the bottom 5 teams. RBs are good, but getting the benefit of Allen making teams pause a second before reacting.  I don’t see this team being much more than .500 without Allen.

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

You must have never seen Gary Marangi in 1976. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I didn’t but it’s irrelevant. Peterman set the NFL record for futility. It’s not even a debate as to who the worst player in franchise history is. He had a 1:4 TD:INT ratio 😂😂. Peterman makes Marangi look like Peyton Manning. 

I fondly remember a coworker's suggestion that Marangi be coached to just throw to the DBs of the opposing teams.  Probably would have been more successful. 🤔🤣

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I did and I'd take Peterman every day over Marangi. In 1976, Ferguson was leading all NFL QBs in most categories before he had a season ending injury in game 7. Marangi came in and completed 35% of his passes the rest of the season, an all time record low. Yes, his TD to int ratio was far better than Peterman (7 TD/16 int). And, Marangi had the NFL's leading rusher again that season, OJ Simpson. He ruined what should have been a great season.