Hurricane Helene

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

Fox example. Local official just called into a ham radio - county manager to just a guy on the radio - who said he has set up a row boat with an outboard motor on a rope to ferry people across a river. Has extra fuel. Manager worked with manager to get the guy to the river via ham radio. 

Yeah, ***** FEMA. 

This is cool. Would be cooler if there was proper equipment doing it. Not possible over this kind of area and this terrain. It’s this or nothing. 

Your *legal* immigrants who get low interest loans from government DIE programs to buy small businesses and then price gouge your kin during times of disaster. 

Posted (edited)

Heading up to my office in Greenville today.  We have power there, but most of the city, specifically residential areas are still without.  My apartment I have up there has no power since 8 am Friday and the target date set by Duke Energy for residential areas of Greenville is this coming Friday. 

Nothing compared to WNC but still unbelievable destruction to the power grid of over 1 million people.  

Bon Secours Arena, which hosts concerts and NCAA Tournament games, is now the emergency shelter for those evacuating the Asheville area.  They opened I-26 yesterday and are instructing those who need emergency services and shelter to head down (Greenville is about an hour south of Asheville at the base of the mountains). 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

This is cool. Would be cooler if there was proper equipment doing it. Not possible over this kind of area and this terrain. It’s this or nothing. 

when it's all you can get it's all you can get. videos of skid steers driving down the road leading vehicle caravans, stopping to clear the way. backhoes and excavators taken from anywhere they can find them to move stuff.

(and just for you)....i guess it'd be cooler if the government spent $8b to drop in some heavy equipment to do this stuff. get some military bridges. or how about that floating pier they used for the terrorists? maybe if Western NC denounced America they'd get Biden and the liberals attention...😂

we had a friend send a video from her porch during the storm... water a few feet away from her front porch and you just see an entire house float by with her neighbors sitting on the roof frozen in fear. she does not know their whereabouts.

my wife is likely to be sent up for emergency assistance. she primarily handles small animals but is trained in emergency med, however she will be able to ferry in meds and supplies because we are just far enough away to be able to get items without issue.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, boyst said:

(and just for you)....i guess it'd be cooler if the government spent $8b to drop in some heavy equipment to do this stuff. get some military bridges. or how about that floating pier they used for the terrorists? maybe if Western NC denounced America they'd get Biden and the liberals attention...😂

you can't have it both ways.  Either the feds are doing too much or not enough.  They're doing all they can.  The affected area is massive and rough as a cob, as they say.  I've gotten lost on a clear day before.  And water rescue right after the storm was a place for professionals not volunteer fire depots.  But that's what was available logistically.  And they were heroic.  There's a pic from Damascus with a fire truck half in the stream (then river) that was out attempting rescue.  I'm told the crew nearly died.  This is an awful situation and the R's are trying to make political hay out of it.  If there's any finger pointing to be done, it's at the climate deniers.  This is not normal.  Oh, and Asheville is heavy D.  It's not getting special attention over R areas.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/28/2024 at 4:15 PM, SCBills said:

Doesn’t really seem like the national media has grasped how insane of a situation is going on right now in the Southeast. 

The damage from Florida, into Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Tennessee is enormous. 

Greenville, SC is still around 90% without power, around 1.1M people currently. 

Asheville is apocalyptic.  No roads in or out.  Half of the city is under water.  Continued flooding & water rescues.  

Major highways used for trucking completely washed away in NC & TN. 

I drove from Charlotte to Atlanta this morning and saw nothing but down trees along I-85 along with traffic backed up onto the highway from Gaffney, SC to Braselton, GA for any gas station that has power and available gas. 

Absolute mayhem. 

Thoughts and prayers …. Too early to talk about global warming but never too early to try to make it political 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

you can't have it both ways.  Either the feds are doing too much or not enough.  They're doing all they can.  The affected area is massive and rough as a cob, as they say.  I've gotten lost on a clear day before.  And water rescue right after the storm was a place for professionals not volunteer fire depots.  But that's what was available logistically.  And they were heroic.  There's a pic from Damascus with a fire truck half in the stream (then river) that was out attempting rescue.  I'm told the crew nearly died.  This is an awful situation and the R's are trying to make political hay out of it.  If there's any finger pointing to be done, it's at the climate deniers.  This is not normal.  Oh, and Asheville is heavy D.  It's not getting special attention over R areas.

the feds are the state are the gov to me... the state and up aren't doing anything.

damascus isn't western nc. there was a 100k race there this past weekend just fine.

spare me your heavy d stuff. if you want to play partisan bs right now and think it's about politics it isn't. this is simply a failure by the state and feds.

nc didn't do anything until it was late. the feds didn't start moving until monday morning.

the locals are doing more than anyone.

so spare me your seeing pictures, talking to people on the internet. this is one of the biggest failures since katrina. everyone made george bush own this. it's time your girl owns it. 

your heavy D... take it down your throat buddy.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

An unstable jet stream trapped and squeezed the moisture between it and the mountains dropping it all at once. 

climate change isn’t political, climate change is the result of political choices.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/29/2024 at 8:59 AM, SCBills said:

We all know why.  

If this happened in Florida, it would be the top story in our news media 24/7.  

Democrat President.  Democrat VP running for President.  Democrat Governor. 

And to be clear, I don’t know what Biden/Harris could do right now, so I’m not blaming them.  

Roy Cooper on the other hand, not up to the moment … at all. 

Lololo The “msm” and climatologists have saying for decades this would start happening…and you callled it a Hoax….And now your whining because your not getting enough press after climate disasters happen in a red state ….ffs desantis outlawed the term climate change.  WTAF

Edited by TH3
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1