Hurricane Helene

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

White House praises their own response.

<_<

Are they on television ?

Are they on the ground ?

Are they talking about the devastation asking for help ?

Or even a flyover?

Remember when Bush flew over NO during Katrina to survey damage?

"George Bush hates black people"

And the media ran with it all day long...

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, SCBills said:

I honestly feel like I’m going crazy with the lack of coverage outside X. 

Asheville is literally Katrina 2.0.  And I’m not being hyperbolic.. it’s that bad. 

The most populated area of South Carolina is now going on Day 3 of no power.   City of Greenville and SC Governors Office are all but begging Duke Energy to get it together, but it seems they sent most of their crews to Florida and were caught completely unprepared - and that’s me giving them the benefit of the doubt, because otherwise they are completely inept. 

It is the top story on the NY Times and Washington Post.  The top story on CNN has flipped back and forth between Helene and the Israel/Hezbollah issue.

7 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

This is some biblical schitt. I had no idea it was this bad. 

That's kinda the point.

It's about as bad as Katrina (hard to compare natural disasters but I'd contend these are on the same order of magnitude) and yet the coverage seems to pale in comparison and the executive branch seems AWOL.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BillsFanNC said:

No mention of all the aid to Israel? That's above your criticism? Israels war has also crowded out coverage of the flooding and death here, not Ukraine. 

Israel is the top news story, not Ukraine, not this storm 

• Eyeroll 1

some notes from here.

the national guard has set up a boundary - no one is allowed in around the mountains. this sounds great until you realize it is the hill people going to help themselves. if no one can get it than no one can get out. the people need help getting out and they cannot the pockets of communities that dot the valleys are entirely stranded and there are truly 1,000's of people missing. 

lawlessness and looting is happening just to survive places that are open but the problem is the lack of cash - no credit cards, no internet/cell.

a friend from Old Fort, NC said the entire town is gone. the closest power, fuel, and food is 2 hours away. they were able to flee and got to michigan this morning at 4am. FEMA and other resources are not existent. There is no one there helping. no one can get in. the plane drops and helicopters just can't be getting to enough places to help people.

local people with helicopters have been flying in and still work rescuing people but fuel is running low. nascar driver is flying his own chopper to help. response teams from all over being held off by national guard, including PD's and FD's. there is no one spearheading the ops. that's an issue. there is no command post on this. friends have been sharing testimony of bodies washed around, seeing people floating in raging waters, entire families in houses and trailers being swept away watching them standing in the windows. a mother and newborn child trapped upon a trailer.

to make matters worse - rain and storms are starting to roll in.

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/ctid/1967 - one of the harder hit areas. still radio abuzz.

i'm not here to tell you what could have been done. i'm not here to tell anyone screwed up. 11-13" of rain was predicted. 20+ inches fell. 

just found out a friend is alive - didn't think he'd be a casualty but had not heard from him / them. he and his girlfriend do whitewater rafting, climbing, mountaineering. he is doing as much as he can to help. hill country people are different.

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, boyst said:

some notes from here.

the national guard has set up a boundary - no one is allowed in around the mountains. this sounds great until you realize it is the hill people going to help themselves. if no one can get it than no one can get out. the people need help getting out and they cannot the pockets of communities that dot the valleys are entirely stranded and there are truly 1,000's of people missing. 

lawlessness and looting is happening just to survive places that are open but the problem is the lack of cash - no credit cards, no internet/cell.

a friend from Old Fort, NC said the entire town is gone. the closest power, fuel, and food is 2 hours away. they were able to flee and got to michigan this morning at 4am. FEMA and other resources are not existent. There is no one there helping. no one can get in. the plane drops and helicopters just can't be getting to enough places to help people.

local people with helicopters have been flying in and still work rescuing people but fuel is running low. nascar driver is flying his own chopper to help. response teams from all over being held off by national guard, including PD's and FD's. there is no one spearheading the ops. that's an issue. there is no command post on this. friends have been sharing testimony of bodies washed around, seeing people floating in raging waters, entire families in houses and trailers being swept away watching them standing in the windows. a mother and newborn child trapped upon a trailer.

to make matters worse - rain and storms are starting to roll in.

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/ctid/1967 - one of the harder hit areas. still radio abuzz.

i'm not here to tell you what could have been done. i'm not here to tell anyone screwed up. 11-13" of rain was predicted. 20+ inches fell. 

just found out a friend is alive - didn't think he'd be a casualty but had not heard from him / them. he and his girlfriend do whitewater rafting, climbing, mountaineering. he is doing as much as he can to help. hill country people are different.

Glad to hear about your friend. 

I have a friend who lives in Asheville with his girlfriend. His family hadn't heard from him for a day or two but they finally got in contact with him. He sounds similar to your friend and that he's an outdoorsman, Whitewater rafter, and farmer. The worst he got was a flooded basement but it sounds like he got lucky compared to a lot of others.

13 minutes ago, yall said:

Glad to hear about your friend. 

I have a friend who lives in Asheville with his girlfriend. His family hadn't heard from him for a day or two but they finally got in contact with him. He sounds similar to your friend and that he's an outdoorsman, Whitewater rafter, and farmer. The worst he got was a flooded basement but it sounds like he got lucky compared to a lot of others.

locals are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing showing exactly why locals are more important for governing than federal and even state.

gps isn't working, batteries are dead, water is out all over but power in some places.

stories we have heard and seen:

• humidifiers are being used to pull water, boil, and clean it than use it for safe drinking water.
  • stations are being set up along walking paths out for care stations.
  • yard sale style signs up in place of GPS - "drive 2.4 miles to Gum Tree Road, turn left." "drive 3 miles, turn right on Muscadine."
  • 211 and national numbers are getting through to locals to have lists verifying names and survivors.
  • walls, telephone poles, and more sharing survivors names and their destinations so people know where to find them
  • businesses are destroyed but the few that are open - specifically grocery stores - are out of food.
    • initially the stores were not letting anyone in until they were forced to by LEO which is also concerning
  • locals have no idea how bad this is because they don't get to talk to anyone and it's brought on a lot of fear
    • my brother and sister in laws parents took 8 hours to drive from asheville to charlotte - were trapped in their basement as trees crushed their house and water was up to their waist.
  • houses on side of mountains slid down mountain, houses in valleys washed out
  • mudslides are now a major factor and have shut down remaining roads.
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

No mention of all the aid to Israel? That's above your criticism? Israels war has also crowded out coverage of the flooding and death here, not Ukraine. 

Israel is the top news story, not Ukraine, not this storm 

Yeah if we're going to talk about Americans being neglected for the sake of a foreign nation Israel pretty much always tops that list. I hate the aid to Ukraine but anyone talking about that is just suffering from recency bias.