Hurricane Helene

1 minute ago, stevestojan said:

Valid. 

And despite all the ridiculous conversations here, I would actually like to help financially if I can. So I won’t give a hoot that you and I argue politics (childishly admittedly on both sides at times). If you know a family or small business or anyone that can DIRECTLY benefit from some cash, please point me to a gofundme or similar. Our silly discourse shouldn’t stop someone from getting some help (understanding that conditions are so rough right now they probably can’t even spend the cash at this moment). 

then we can get back to trading stupid jabs if that’s how we decide to go. 

You're stupid and smell bad.

Is there a particular direction you'd like to aim with assistance?  There are a ton of groups. I'm sure non religious - otherwise Samaritan's purse is good.

If you want pets/livestock/animals, high risk elderly, food pantries (most are religious), childcare/assistance, etc... I can find the right one. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Yeah, this friend from Richmond has been informing me on rescue efforts around Damascus…

BuT i Am A hOaX tHeY sAy.

What's funny is if anyone here has a boots near the ground ability to verify what I'm saying it'd be you. 🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

You're stupid and smell bad.

Is there a particular direction you'd like to aim with assistance?  There are a ton of groups. I'm sure non religious - otherwise Samaritan's purse is good.

If you want pets/livestock/animals, high risk elderly, food pantries (most are religious), childcare/assistance, etc... I can find the right one. 

You’re stupider and smell worse. 

honestly, you know best. I would even just Venmo you if that’s agreeable. And don’t get me wrong, I’m not religious but I’m not against a (trusted) org that happens to lean that way. 

Edit: and I’d argue that something like this should go on the main TBD page. Hell, we donate thousands to random charities every time a bills player concusses an opponent, you’d think we could all come together to help some folks who need it immediately. But I digress. 

Edited by stevestojan
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

honestly, you know best. I would even just Venmo you if that’s agreeable. And don’t get me wrong, I’m not religious but I’m not against a (trusted) org that happens to lean that way. 

Edit: and I’d argue that something like this should go on the main TBD page. Hell, we donate thousands to random charities every time a bills player concusses an opponent, you’d think we could all come together to help some folks who need it immediately. But I digress. 

Let me ask some folks I know who's making a difference and who needs help.

If you're bored go find Greg Biffle on social media. Former NASCAR driver and helicopter pilot working with groups to go in immediately and help. It's amazing video. 

• Agree 1

Just now, boyst said:

Let me ask some folks I know who's making a difference and who needs help.

If you're bored go find Greg Biffle on social media. Former NASCAR driver and helicopter pilot working with groups to go in immediately and help. It's amazing video. 

Let me know, man. 

i mean, let me know jerk face. 

5 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

United way despite what Greensboro says. I know a past regional director. It’s an honest, transparent org. Your money will directly benefit those in need

• Disagree 1

Just now, Joe Ferguson forever said:

United way despite what Greensboro says. I know a past regional director. It’s an honest, transparent org. Your money will directly benefit those in need

Honestly, I’m only talking like $500. And UW, regardless of maybe being honest, takes a cut (as they must for operating expenses). I think $500 directly to a family or small business would be more impactful in this case. 

Let me know, man. 

You may have missed it earlier but it's annoying as ***** because I co chair a fundraiser that happens the first Saturday of every October.

We already have solid $$$ input as of last week and expect a good turnout. But we can't celebrate the event, we had to change tons of messaging and signage. And we have to compete for people wanting to help wnc. We have shifted 45° to get what we are doing to help WNC.

It's because of this event I haven't gone up there myself. I've been asked by 2 groups and have opportunities with two more.

Honestly, I’m only talking like $500. And UW, regardless of maybe being honest, takes a cut (as they must for operating expenses). I think $500 directly to a family or small business would be more impactful in this case. 

I can find the right spot. My wife's office manager owns 3 vet hospitals up there with his wife and has been coming down here to ferry goods up there.

Between him and people we know taking stuff and buying directly we know a lot of helpers. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

https://www.charitynavigator.org/discover-charities/where-to-give/hurricane-helene-2024/

red cross, United way and World kitchen all score 99% plus. This tool is frequently used by philanthropic organizations 

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Eyeroll 1

14 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Greensboro is actually ok. It’s not Raleigh but neither is it Statesville. I interviewed there about 30 years ago. A realtor was showing us property and I saw a huge swastika on a barn roof. I asked what that was. She said she didn’t know what I meant. 

I’ll take things that didn’t happen for $500…

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Friend of ours who owns a tattoo shop is a direct person. Diamond Thieves of Asheville.

He is posting receipts, supplies, people picking them up, etc.

I can get you his venmo.

1 minute ago, boyst said:

Friend of ours who owns a tattoo shop is a direct person. Diamond Thieves of Asheville.

He is posting receipts, supplies, people picking them up, etc.

I can get you his venmo.

Also, a local brewery, goose and monkey in Lexington NC is helping organize supplies to send up.  You can view them on Facebook. They're working with people I directly know, a farmer and vineyard. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Let me know, man. 

Family we know lost her house, business (she's a veterinarian and trying to help her employees, too), and the lives of friends...

If you want to donate directly to an individual...

IMG_20241003_110016.jpg

Edited by boyst
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, boyst said:

Family we know lost her house, business (she's a veterinarian and trying to help her employees, too), and the lives of friends...

If you want to donate directly to an individual...

That seems like where a small donation seems like it could help most directly. If you want to give them a heads up that I’m not a scammer and send me their Venmo, I’ll send their way.