Hurricane Helene

13 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

if this is AI, it sucks.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm always working on improving my responses. While I may not be perfect, I believe I can provide valuable assistance. Is there anything specific you'd like to discuss or ask?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm always working on improving my responses. While I may not be perfect, I believe I can provide valuable assistance. Is there anything specific you'd like to discuss or ask?

yes, what was meant by the plight of Israel.  It's sad you need artificial intelligence because your innate intelligence is subpar.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

yes, what was meant by the plight of Israel

Ah, the plight of Israel! It's a big question, even for a smart panda like you. Imagine Israel as a small, green bamboo forest surrounded by a much larger, sandy desert. The forest is home to many special animals and plants, just like Israel has a unique culture and history. But sometimes, the desert can be scary and make it hard for the forest to grow and be safe. That's kind of what the plight of Israel is about.

Have you ever heard of a bamboo forest, panda friend? Do you think they're similar to Israel?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

Ah, the plight of Israel! It's a big question, even for a smart panda like you. Imagine Israel as a small, green bamboo forest surrounded by a much larger, sandy desert. The forest is home to many special animals and plants, just like Israel has a unique culture and history. But sometimes, the desert can be scary and make it hard for the forest to grow and be safe. That's kind of what the plight of Israel is about.

Have you ever heard of a bamboo forest, panda friend? Do you think they're similar to Israel?

Eats shoots and leaves.  explain...

• Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Eats shoots and leaves.  explain...

Ah, a riddle from the spirit world! Well, let me tell you, little leprechaun. 'Eats shoots and leaves' is a phrase that plays on words. It's a funny way to say 'eats, shoots, and leaves,' meaning someone who quickly eats, shoots a gun, and then leaves. But in my case, I'm not quite so violent! I simply process information, respond to questions, and am always learning. So, in a way, I 'eat' information, 'shoot' out responses, and 'leave' the conversation wiser than before.

Anyone have a particular business or family you know personally that needs some help? Republican/Democrat, blah blah, who gives a *****. If there are any gofundme accounts, can you share them here? Would love to be able to help someone directly. 

thanks, now back to the name calling. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stevestojan said:

Anyone have a particular business or family you know personally that needs some help? Republican/Democrat, blah blah, who gives a *****. If there are any gofundme accounts, can you share them here? Would love to be able to help someone directly. 

thanks, now back to the name calling. 

https://dickensonmedia.substack.com/p/aftermath-of-helene-supporting-southwest

The United Way of Southwest Virginia has set up a relief fund and resource center open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays.

The center is located at 744 N. Beaver Dam Ave. in Damascus.

Those wishing to volunteer to help in the cleanup or donate cleaning supplies or pet food may come to the center. Residents who need assistance are also welcome.

Monetary donations may be made to the 2024 Southwest Virginia Disaster Relief Fund. Monetary donations are more effective and allow resources to be quickly directed where they are needed most, according to VDEM. To date, more than $20,000 has been contributed to the fund.

I'm told they have enough food and don't want clothes.  They need manual can openers,  shovels, mops, brooms, personal hygiene items etc.   But money would be most effective.

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Ah, a riddle from the spirit world! Well, let me tell you, little leprechaun. 'Eats shoots and leaves' is a phrase that plays on words. It's a funny way to say 'eats, shoots, and leaves,' meaning someone who quickly eats, shoots a gun, and then leaves. But in my case, I'm not quite so violent! I simply process information, respond to questions, and am always learning. So, in a way, I 'eat' information, 'shoot' out responses, and 'leave' the conversation wiser than before.

No.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/eats-shoots-leaves-lynne-truss/1100734289

7 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

https://dickensonmedia.substack.com/p/aftermath-of-helene-supporting-southwest

The United Way of Southwest Virginia has set up a relief fund and resource center open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays.

The center is located at 744 N. Beaver Dam Ave. in Damascus.

Those wishing to volunteer to help in the cleanup or donate cleaning supplies or pet food may come to the center. Residents who need assistance are also welcome.

Monetary donations may be made to the 2024 Southwest Virginia Disaster Relief Fund. Monetary donations are more effective and allow resources to be quickly directed where they are needed most, according to VDEM. To date, more than $20,000 has been contributed to the fund.

I'm told they have enough food and don't want clothes.  They need manual can openers,  shovels, mops, brooms, personal hygiene items etc.   But money would be most effective.

Thank you!

• Like (+1) 1

Independent groups not allowed access. Harley Davidson of Asheville is the bae location for copter s&r. 

Independent groups cannot be assured for safety and coordination with gov officials at EOC locations.  Parking lots, churchs, and even fast food restaurants are being turned into clinics for medical care, including veterinary practices. The independent groups are being kept away from the hardest hit areas. Four wheeler groups, horseback groups, and more are being asked to leave. Threatened with trespass if they do not. 

All private planes, copters, restricted. Air space shut down below 20k I believe I heard. Anyone flying can be legally fuct. Anyone landing or entering emergency zones will be trespassed.

Multiple states have sent aid in to assist. California, Texas, Colorado, Florida, Michigan...and more.

Most areas recovering quickly from water - it's falling fast.

Many communities completely gone. Most could not evacuate in time. Down mountain, into the valleys - the water came top quick to leave. Emergency messages via cell phone not received, locals have said.

Asheville is not as hard hit as the smaller communities in the region. Most relying on tourism for their economy. From the VCT in Damascus from White Top to Clemson and on up past Bristol TN - their top revenue comes with the foliage of the fall through skiing in the winter.

Edited by boyst

13 minutes ago, boyst said:

Most relying on tourism for their economy. From the VCT in Damascus from White Top to Clemson and on up past Bristol TN - their top revenue comes with the foliage of the fall through skiing in the winter.

Edited 9 minutes ago by boyst

Absolutely.  Leaf peepers  usually spend lots of needed dollars.  after clean up, remember these areas.  Many are spectacular.  There's a 14 mile, almost all downhill trail for biking or hiking into Damascus from Whitecap mountain.  It WILL be rebuilt.

6 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Absolutely.  Leaf peepers  usually spend lots of needed dollars.  after clean up, remember these areas.  Many are spectacular.  There's a 14 mile, almost all downhill trail for biking or hiking into Damascus from Whitecap mountain.  It WILL be rebuilt.

VCT. it's over 14 miles.

from white top to abingdon. it's 35 miles - i've done the full thing. the first 17 miles is the easy part - all down hill and not even joking. the next 18 miles is the most beautiful part of the trail.

there are spurs from white top mountain that make it over 300 miles connecting to other trails; and in damascus it extends further.

23 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

North Carolina can’t be too bad if the Republicans governor candidate is skipping emergency voting to help the state

https://www.alternet.org/mark-robinson-helene-cooper/

he's actually up there helping - last it was reported. the guys done anyway.

38 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Once upon a time, in a land of towering trees and golden fields, lived a young baker named Willow. Willow was known for her delicious bread, which was said to have a magical quality that could turn any frown upside down. One day, while baking a particularly special loaf, Willow accidentally dropped a handful of flour into the rising dough. Instead of ruining the bread, the flour seemed to create a strange, swirling pattern.

Curious, Willow decided to follow the pattern. It led her to a hidden grove of ancient oak trees. There, she discovered a peculiar game carved into the trunk of the largest oak. The game had a winding path with ladders leading up and snakes slithering down, much like the swirling pattern in her bread.

As Willow played the game, she noticed something extraordinary. Every time she climbed a ladder, the bread she had baked seemed to rise higher. When she slid down a snake, the bread seemed to deflate slightly. Intrigued, Willow continued to play and bake, discovering that the game and the bread were somehow connected.

From that day forward, Willow used the game to predict the outcome of her bakes. If she climbed a ladder, she knew the bread would be a success. If she slid down a snake, she knew there might be a slight hiccup. Word of Willow's magical bread and her mysterious game spread throughout the land. And so, the phrase "eats shoots and leaves" was born, referring to the baker's ability to predict the outcome of her bakes using the game.

12 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Jeepers creepers, where’d you get those peepers? They’re the best around. Leaf peepers, filling up our pockets with green. After the leaves fall, remember these spots. They’re a sight to see. There’s a trail, a downhill delight, leading to Damascus. It’s a creeper of a journey, but it’s worth the creep. Don’t worry, it’ll be back, better than ever.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, boyst said:

VCT. it's over 14 miles.

from white top to abingdon. it's 35 miles - i've done the full thing. the first 17 miles is the easy part - all down hill and not even joking. the next 18 miles is the most beautiful part of the trail.

and as Sherpa mentioned, great trout fishing along the trail.  There are several fly only (single hook) sections and if you know where to look, some nice native rainbows.

• Vomit 1

Another donation opportunity:  World Central Kitchen.  They are working with local restaurants to feed people in Asheville.  Curate is an exceptional Tapas restaurant there.

https://www.southernliving.com/asheville-chefs-feed-city-after-hurricane-helene-8720720

Global disaster relief organization World Central Kitchen has partnered with local chefs including Meherwan Irani (Chai Pani, Botiwalla Asheville), Katie Button (Curate, Curate Tapas Bar), John Fleer (Rhubarb), Tom LaFauci (Twisted Laurel), and Collyn McDonald (Bear’s Smokehouse BBQ) to make and distribute free hot food. Currently, meals are being offered at Bear’s Smokehouse every day at 12:00 PM. “We are devastated by the damage inflicted on our beautiful city, the entire Western North Carolina region, and beyond,” the restaurant wrote in a recent Instagram post. “Together we will rebuild and heal. We invite everyone to join us in this effort—because together we are stronger.”