Just some night game schedule thoughts

Just Jack

Just some random thoughts I had...

I was curious how many teams over the years had a Thursday night game, then a Monday night game, since that would typically be the longest stretch between games for a team.  So, I looked back, going to the 2002 schedule since that was where I could start finding a consistent Thursday night game, not just on Thanksgiving.  Turns out there have been a lot of teams that got a Thursday-then-Monday schedule...

image.thumb.png.ca80fd54d9ba2196204f282cda62e1ee.png

Then that got me thinking, how many teams have had three night games in a row.  That number was a lot less, but it does happen.  For that, I did not care which night game it was (Thursday, Sunday, Monday).  Now, there were a lot of teams that would get 1 or 2 night games, then a Sunday afternoon game, then back to a night game.  Those I did not count.  But as you'll see, I did count if they had a bye week in the middle of their stretch.  More surprising was a couple times teams would get four night games.  I'm guessing those may have been games that were flexed.  

image.thumb.png.5f9cbde8b2d38758f721a2ce21a9b507.png

Just found this interesting and thought I'd share.  

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 9

Just now, Just Jack said:

I was curious how many teams over the years had a Thursday night game, then a Monday night game, since that would typically be the longest stretch between games for a team.  So, I looked back, going to the 2002 schedule since that was where I could start finding a consistent Thursday night game, not just on Thanksgiving.  Turns out there have been a lot of teams that got a Thursday-then-Monday schedule...

Then that got me thinking, how many teams have had three night games in a row.  That number was a lot less, but it does happen.  For that, I did not care which night game it was (Thursday, Sunday, Monday).  Now, there were a lot of teams that would get 1 or 2 night games, then a Sunday afternoon game, then back to a night game.  Those I did not count.  But as you'll see, I did count if they had a bye week in the middle of their stretch.  More surprising was a couple times teams would get four night games.  I'm guessing those may have been games that were flexed.  

My not cool appreciates your not cool 😆

Thank you!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• Just Jack changed the title to Just some night game schedule thoughts

Jack, as always interesting info.  Personally, I can’t stand these games as I’m up at 5 am. Each day so I always miserable the day after a Bills game.  I can live with 5 hours, but less stinks.  I do love 4 pm games as it’s easy and you get the 1 pm games out if the way so you know what the landscape looks like from the early games.

I don’t mind an occasional, but this enamored opinion of night games is for those who sleep obviously until 6 am or later.  

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I love this. I always wondered if I was the only one who ever pondered such things. Turns out its just me and Just Jack. I see you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Jack, as always interesting info.  Personally, I can’t stand these games as I’m up at 5 am. Each day so I always miserable the day after a Bills game.  I can live with 5 hours, but less stinks.  I do love 4 pm games as it’s easy and you get the 1 pm games out if the way so you know what the landscape looks like from the early games.

I don’t mind an occasional, but this enamored opinion of night games is for those who sleep obviously until 6 am or later.  

Yep. It’s a struggle lately with 3 different night games in 4 weeks and a 4th one in 2 weeks..🤦‍♂️

Did you survive Helena ok? Hope so. Random power outages and high winds here on the other side of state, but all good.

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I get up at 430 am, so I was quite content to bow out of the Jacksonville game in the third quarter 🥱

41 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yep. It’s a struggle lately with 3 different night games in 4 weeks and a 4th one in 2 weeks..🤦‍♂️

Did you survive Helena ok? Hope so. Random power outages and high winds here on the other side of state, but all good.

Chand, thanks for asking and yes, I’m fine.  My wife’s parents home lost power last night, but back on today so just an inconvenience for about 8 hours.  At our home, it was just a bunch of heavy winds and rain gusts most of the night.

I believe you live in Jax and you know the deal with FL meteorologists where they scare ever living heck out of the little old ladies and people in their manufactured homes.

As far as the topic, I truly don’t mind an occasional night game, but this is overkill.  I’m not griping,but just frustrated I constantly am caught sleeping 4-5 hours and it gets old.  I can’t change my work schedule and never sleep past 5 am.  On weekends try to sleep til 6 am, but inevitably it rarely happens as my body clock is conditioned to get up.

Any way, enough of my grumpy old man griping.  We can all hopefully enjoy another victory Monday after we contain Lamar and King Henry.

• Like (+1) 1

Makes some sense I guess. Teams get rewarded with extra rest after a short week. 

Once the league goes to 18 games, if they implement two bye weeks, every team playing on Thursday night should be playing coming off a bye week. The only tricky thing about that is what about week 2 Thursday night games? I guess that would be the exception. And maybe week 3 as most teams would not want to use their first bye week so early in the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Chand, thanks for asking and yes, I’m fine.  My wife’s parents home lost power last night, but back on today so just an inconvenience for about 8 hours.  At our home, it was just a bunch of heavy winds and rain gusts most of the night.

I believe you live in Jax and you know the deal with FL meteorologists where they scare ever living heck out of the little old ladies and people in their manufactured homes.

As far as the topic, I truly don’t mind an occasional night game, but this is overkill.  I’m not griping,but just frustrated I constantly am caught sleeping 4-5 hours and it gets old.  I can’t change my work schedule and never sleep past 5 am.  On weekends try to sleep til 6 am, but inevitably it rarely happens as my body clock is conditioned to get up.

Any way, enough of my grumpy old man griping.  We can all hopefully enjoy another victory Monday after we contain Lamar and King Henry.

I get the fear factor, but far too many dummies decide to ride it out in target areas , then overload emergency services for help.. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Edited by Chandler#81

14 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Thought you would at least compile the W-L statistics for those scenarios 😛