Places to retire

SDS

3 minutes ago, Saxum said:

With over 2,100 hours of sunshine, and only 15 inches of rain annually, the area has a comfortable climate year round.

The days are shorter in winter but temperatures can still reach highs of up to 5°C with an average low of just -4°C from December to February, and up to an average high of 15°C in October and April.

Celsius? I didn't ask any hippies for an opinion.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

Celsius? I didn't ask any hippies for an opinion.

Thought it was  enough to show negative number to show  it would not match your requirements.  Best to not move to Canada or most other countries since they are filled with hippies.

6 minutes ago, Saxum said:

Thought it was  enough to show negative number to show  it would not match your requirements.  Best to not move to Canada or most other countries since they are filled with hippies.

It's just a joke inspired by the Big Bang Theory...

Just now, SDS said:

It's just a joke inspired by the Big Bang Theory...

Sorry not get since I do not watch many live TV shows once I could not record show I missed without renting monthly internal DVD device which goes away when service goes away.

Looking at retiring overseas but I cannot until I can handle my daughter's Social Security Disability Insurance since she cannot collect if she moves outside US unlike regular Social Security.

8 hours ago, Rubes said:

I mean, Salt Lake is a pretty awesome place to live. It does get below 45 in the winter, but usually not that much below it. Good golfing, great healthcare (natch), SLC is an excellent airport hub, Park City is a 25 minute drive away, amazing skiing/hiking/camping options in short driving distance, 5 national parks in the state, 2 more across the borders (NV and WY), something like 300 days of sun per year, fiber internet everywhere, and so on.

And no, you don't have to be a Mormon to enjoy it here.

And yes, you can also ski and golf in the same day. Some have even gone skiing in July some years.

I fell in love w/ Utah a few years ago when we spent several weeks traveling and camping/hiking/biking around Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, etc. (Unfortunately his highness wants somewhere with "water"). Didn't realize just how pretty it was around there. You're a lucky (or wise) man to have settled in that state.

A couple summers from now I'm eyeballing 2-3 weeks or so over by Uinta/Wasatch and Ashley. I'll be hitting you up for free advice. :D

image.thumb.png.f7497ad9c0251f0d7977799cb77b06df.png

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

We have friends who have a place on Siesta Key on the bayside just south of the south bridge. They lived inland and planned to rebuild the thing, but they kept using it for years as a weekly rental, a place to take the boat out and just a place to go when it wasn’t rented. They are very close friends, and it was a rule that whenever it wasn’t rented, it was ours to stay at when we went back to Sarasota. It became almost an annual thing. My son actually had his Covid wedding reception there. Love it! 

The beach is probably the best beach that’s got the most clear turquoise waters I’ve been to that’s not the Caribbean. Had a good feel to the area. 

I’ll say this, after driving around for the day here in PCB. Going to a few places, it just feels absolutely dead. I don’t know if that’s the season. Maybe it’s because of the hurricane yesterday. But man it just feels like a ghost town. Nothing like any other Coastal Florida town we’ve been in. The beach is pretty nice I’ll give it that. But man, I’m having serious doubts about this area. 

2 hours ago, Simon said:

I fell in love w/ Utah a few years ago when we spent several weeks traveling and camping/hiking/biking around Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, etc. (Unfortunately his highness wants somewhere with "water"). Didn't realize just how pretty it was around there. You're a lucky (or wise) man to have settled in that state.

A couple summers from now I'm eyeballing 2-3 weeks or so over by Uinta/Wasatch and Ashley. I'll be hitting you up for free advice. :D

image.thumb.png.f7497ad9c0251f0d7977799cb77b06df.png

You got it, bud. Just went camping up in the Uintas a couple weeks ago, it was amazing.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, SDS said:

what do people think about downtown Manhattan?

That would be a very bad, dangerous move. Prices are extremely high. Crime is WAY up (in spite of the phony stats). You will pay city income tax, and owning a car will be very costly. Parking alone might cost well into the thousands per year. Illegal aliens are camping out on the streets and preying on citizens, to include violent crimes. NYC is a sanctuary city. Wrt air travel, Pro Palestinian protesters have chosen airports as their place to demonstrate and delay air traffic.

Oh, and the mayor and most of his to aides are on their way to jail. 

Other than the above, moving to NYC is a great idea.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, mrags said:

The beach is probably the best beach that’s got the most clear turquoise waters I’ve been to that’s not the Caribbean. Had a good feel to the area. 

I’ll say this, after driving around for the day here in PCB. Going to a few places, it just feels absolutely dead. I don’t know if that’s the season. Maybe it’s because of the hurricane yesterday. But man it just feels like a ghost town. Nothing like any other Coastal Florida town we’ve been in. The beach is pretty nice I’ll give it that. But man, I’m having serious doubts about this area. 

Panama City is trying to reinvent itself right now, it was a party town that decided it was done with the party. If it works it will likely become great but it is in that transition period

23 hours ago, Simon said:

Was in the Sedona area for a week last spring and realllly liked it.

Sunshine year round, a lot of things to do both nearby and within an hour or two, open highways, plenty of room for expansion, Phoenix and Flagstaff within an hour or two, etc....

Definitely had me thinking about the potential for living there 9 months/year and spending summers split between traveling and at our camp back East.

I've had a beer in 48 different states and that was one of nicest areas I've ever been to.

25 things to do in Sedona

I have family in Prescott AZ. similar to Sedona climate-wise, but probably more affordable and some more consumer amenities. Great place. 
We also have friends who retired near Clemson SC. They seem to love it. 

My sister lives in The Villages. She used to go back and forth from Buffalo, but moved there permanently about 5 years ago. She absolutely loves it and has never regretted it. I've visited her several times and if my sons and grand kids didn't live in KC, I'd consider living there. It's less than an hour from Orlando.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, mrags said:

UPDATE: Our friends on Siesta have found their boat….. in somebody’s back yard after Helene had passed. It almost found its way into their pool, and now they are trying to figure out how to get it back home. St Armand’s Circle is under water, and we have video of waves several feet high crashing thru the house of some friends on Siesta. The water hit the top of the doorframe coming in.  What a mess. 

Keep natural disasters in mind when picking a forever home. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 9/26/2024 at 8:19 PM, SDS said:

Requirements:

great golf environment,

high-speed Internet,

within two hours of a major airport hub

Preferably 12 month weather that’s above 45 deg. 

what do you guys have?

This is the area of coastal South Carolina down through Florida, along I-10, south texas, along 10 thru phoenix and SoCal.

major airports are LA, phx, Houston, Miami, and Orlando has a lot of direct flights.

another factor— can you afford to live there.

Houston has a low cost of living but hurricane/ flood insurance is expensive.

San Diego is one of the best places with stable year round temps but real estate is very high

Seattle/ Portland/ Vancouver area doesn’t get very cold in winter. Usual highs are mid 40s- low 50s and overnights in mid 40s  You may get 2-3 times a year of snow of an inch or two  ( more if you live in higher elevations).  In the summer temps are in the mid 70s low 80s

innthr mid Atlantic area of Maryland- NC you get cold snaps but in winter the temps are also mid 40s/ low 50s with lows mid 30s.  The farther south it shifts a lityke warmer so Raleigh snd Virginia Beach regularly get 60s in winter months

Edited by djp14150

3 hours ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

Panama City is trying to reinvent itself right now, it was a party town that decided it was done with the party. If it works it will likely become great but it is in that transition period

I can def see it’s in the process of changing. Just wondering if it works or not. Could be good to get in while the transformation is young. However if you invest and it doesn’t work out your holding the bag. 

curious, how is Destin? I’ve seen multiple different people say it’s completely different from PCB. Sounds like it’s already made that jump moving forward. However I hear some people say it’s not as lively as PCB. I find that super odd because we drove around last night and it felt extremely dead for a Friday night. Again, maybe it’s because it’s the day after a hurricane. Not sure. 

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

I can def see it’s in the process of changing. Just wondering if it works or not. Could be good to get in while the transformation is young. However if you invest and it doesn’t work out your holding the bag. 

curious, how is Destin? I’ve seen multiple different people say it’s completely different from PCB. Sounds like it’s already made that jump moving forward. However I hear some people say it’s not as lively as PCB. I find that super odd because we drove around last night and it felt extremely dead for a Friday night. Again, maybe it’s because it’s the day after a hurricane. Not sure. 

That's the trade off….you want a might life in a beach area but don’t want the college kid invasion.  They can’t control that.

then there are those hurricanes.

1 hour ago, mrags said:

I have not been to Destin since 2015, but it was great if you like more paid back beach life. Several nice seafood places, costs were reasonable, it is definitely on my radar when I retire in 10-12 years. 

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

That's the trade off….you want a might life in a beach area but don’t want the college kid invasion.  They can’t control that.

then there are those hurricanes.

I don’t really want a night life. I just found it odd that PCB is supposed to be more of a college kid party town and it didn’t feel like that at all. On top of it I’ve heard people say Destin is more laid back and not as busy. Based on what I saw last night, I can’t imagine a coastal town in Florida being less busy. Just a really odd vibe to last night. Like I said, it might be because the hurricane that just came through Florida. Still just feels strange 

33 minutes ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

I have not been to Destin since 2015, but it was great if you like more paid back beach life. Several nice seafood places, costs were reasonable, it is definitely on my radar when I retire in 10-12 years. 

We’re def going to be taking a drive there today or maybe tomorrow or Monday. Not sure what we’re doing for the Bills game yet so not sure tomorrow is the day. lol 

4 hours ago, Augie said:

UPDATE: Our friends on Siesta have found their boat….. in somebody’s back yard after Helene had passed. It almost found its way into their pool, and now they are trying to figure out how to get it back home. St Armand’s Circle is under water, and we have video of waves several feet high crashing thru the house of some friends on Siesta. The water hit the top of the doorframe coming in.  What a mess. 

Keep natural disasters in mind when picking a forever home. 

My mother left Bradenton 5 years ago and my Aunt left last year. Crazy to hear St Armand is under water.