Places to retire

SDS

7 minutes ago, muppy said:

San Diego would fill your list of requirements. Living here is great.

The only thing that would make me want to move or retire elsewhere is to be near my Grandchildren. And even that is sketchy because if you retire near them and then they get a new job and relocate you're back where you started DISTANT .  That would suck 

San Diego is awesome…. But expensive!! Not sure how you survive there! 

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

if you buy a house 40 years ago it’s super easy. I just need to get a time machine first. 🙄

what do people think about downtown Manhattan?

• Haha (+1) 5

28 minutes ago, SDS said:

if you buy a house 40 years ago it’s super easy. I just need to get a time machine first. 🙄

what do people think about downtown Manhattan?

well you could always cash in TBD and buy a place in Malibu lol

j/k financials were never mentioned as a prerequisite just sayin'

🙂

35 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

let's put it this way. SDS is correct. I couldn't rent a studio apt for what our mortgage is here in san diego. We purchased in 90's. Otherwise with solar we don't have high electric and food I think is even less than WNY from what Ive seen.

12 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

North Carolina: Golf, internet, airport  ....  not sure on temps

we're full

2 hours ago, SDS said:

I don’t think I could commit to anywhere that doesn’t have water. Lol seems like a important thing to consider.

so far Pinehurst is the one that ticks most of the boxes. 

if Pinehurst is a target, go outside of it. Sanford is growing now and will grow even more as the area grows up.

Laurinburg is also nice, a little more rural than Stanford.

Both are a little more affordable than Pinehurst.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

Surprised no one has said Savannah, Georgia yet. Warm year round. Great food, has a plethora of golf courses, near all kinds of beaches and has the Savannah/Hilton Head Airport or Charleston Airport a couple hours away.

i’m not gonna look this up at the moment, but I don’t think the Hilton head airport qualifies as a hub. I am all about the nonstop flights. As many places as I can get to with one leg is where I want to be.

14 minutes ago, SDS said:

i’m not gonna look this up at the moment, but I don’t think the Hilton head airport qualifies as a hub. I am all about the nonstop flights. As many places as I can get to with one leg is where I want to be.

Jacksonville is 2 hours from Savannah

3 hours ago, SDS said:

I lived in HHI for many years. We would drive to Savannah to fly out, or Jacksonville if we had to. I absolutely LOVE the lowcountry from Jax up to Charleston, but the summers are brutally hot. It was MUCH hotter than living in Florida. Savannah is much nicer than it was 25 years ago. 

We love NC in the summer and go to Blowing Rock and/or Asheville almost every year. The problem for me is finding the place that has decent weather 12 months a year. Blowing Rock is about 4k ft elevation which makes it great in the summer, not so much in the winter unless you want some crappy skiing. 

I’ve spent a lot of time pondering where we will be when my wife retires. It’s wasted energy for the most part, because we will be where the son and grandkids are. It’s possible that we split our resources and have a couple smaller places, one where he ends up and one in our ideal location. 

I would look into Brentwood south of Nashville if I were shopping for a landing spot. Where there is wealth you generally get nice “stuff”,  like restaurants and golf courses. The weather isn’t bad and it’s a decent airport. 

Looking at the bigger picture, several people we know who have lived and travelled everywhere say Spain is one place they’d like to settle down one day. 

Edited by Augie

35 minutes ago, Augie said:

We love NC in the summer and go to Blowing Rock and/or Asheville almost every year. The problem for me is finding the place that has decent weather 12 months a year. Blowing Rock is about 4k ft elevation which makes it great in the summer, not so much in the winter unless you want some crappy skiing. 

the crappy skiing makes for more year round golf.  Snowfall is about  a foot a year.  It's possible to ski and golf the same day on the top and bottom of a mountain.  Alternatively, people take extended vacations in the winter.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

advantageous for south central NC - CLT and RDU are within 90-120 minutes.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I lived in HHI for many years. We would drive to Savannah to fly out, or Jacksonville if we had to. I absolutely LOVE the lowcountry from Jax up to Charleston, but the summers are brutally hot. It was MUCH hotter than living in Florida. Savannah is much nicer than it was 25 years ago. 

I’ve spent a lot of time pondering where we will be when my wife retires. It’s wasted energy for the most part, because we will be where the son and grandkids are. It’s possible that we split our resources and have a couple smaller places, one where he ends up and one in our ideal location. 

I would look into Brentwood south of Nashville if I were shopping for a landing spot. Where there is wealth you generally get nice “stuff”,  like restaurants and golf courses. The weather isn’t bad and it’s a decent little airport. 

Looking at the bigger picture, several people we know who have lived and travelled everywhere say Spain is one place they’d like to settle down one day. 

Asheville is really, really suffering right now. Other smaller towns have capitalized on the visitors and people just go to Nashville now if they want to get out.

I mean, Salt Lake is a pretty awesome place to live. It does get below 45 in the winter, but usually not that much below it. Good golfing, great healthcare (natch), SLC is an excellent airport hub, Park City is a 25 minute drive away, amazing skiing/hiking/camping options in short driving distance, 5 national parks in the state, 2 more across the borders (NV and WY), something like 300 days of sun per year, fiber internet everywhere, and so on.

And no, you don't have to be a Mormon to enjoy it here.

And yes, you can also ski and golf in the same day. Some have even gone skiing in July some years.

Edited by Rubes
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, SDS said:

Requirements:

great golf environment,

high-speed Internet,

within two hours of a major airport hub

Preferably 12 month weather that’s above 45 deg. 

what do you guys have?

I've grown quite fond of Two Bills Drive Purgatory.  A little damp.  But overall, not bad.  

You may want to add a measure for states that won't tax your retirement distributions if that'd be important to you.  

Also, most states don't tax social security but nine still do.  

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

You may want to add a measure for states that won't tax your retirement distributions if that'd be important to you.  

Also, most states don't tax social security but nine still do.  

If taxes is a worry then there’s a few spots that come to mind. Florida, Nevada, I think Alabama, a few others. Off the top of my head I can’t remember. But for the purpose of keeping more of your money there’s about 5-10 of them that are very friendly. 

currently in Florida as we speak enjoying the warm gulf water even after the day of a major Hurricane. We’ve been making our rounds, around Florida to try and find the perfect spot. So far been to Orlando, Clearwater/Tampa/St Pete, Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Panama City. We’ll be taking a drive to Destin in the next few days. 

moving out of the country is always an option as well. Something we will be pondering as we travel outside the US more in the coming years. 

19 hours ago, SDS said:

Requirements:

great golf environment,

high-speed Internet,

within two hours of a major airport hub

Preferably 12 month weather that’s above 45 deg. 

what do you guys have?

Penticton , BC

Very low crime rate as well.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, mrags said:

If taxes is a worry then there’s a few spots that come to mind. Florida, Nevada, I think Alabama, a few others. Off the top of my head I can’t remember. But for the purpose of keeping more of your money there’s about 5-10 of them that are very friendly. 

currently in Florida as we speak enjoying the warm gulf water even after the day of a major Hurricane. We’ve been making our rounds, around Florida to try and find the perfect spot. So far been to Orlando, Clearwater/Tampa/St Pete, Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Panama City. We’ll be taking a drive to Destin in the next few days. 

moving out of the country is always an option as well. Something we will be pondering as we travel outside the US more in the coming years. 

We much preferred Destin to Panama City when we visited but check em out everyone is different. I think a lot more people are considering moving out of the country simply because it is so much cheaper to get high end property without spending a million dollars +.

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

We much preferred Destin to Panama City when we visited but check em out everyone is different. I think a lot more people are considering moving out of the country simply because it is so much cheaper to get high end property without spending a million dollars +.

After just the first day here in PCB it feels more like an old school beach vibe. Like one of those towns that used to be and still is just a tourist, spring break spot. Not sure if Destin has a different feel to it. Hoping it does. Hoping it feels less tourist trap and a little more like it’s trying to become something on its own. Siesta key was absolutely perfect the one day we spent there. But I feel like it’s almost twice as much as far as property prices goes. 

1 hour ago, mrags said:

After just the first day here in PCB it feels more like an old school beach vibe. Like one of those towns that used to be and still is just a tourist, spring break spot. Not sure if Destin has a different feel to it. Hoping it does. Hoping it feels less tourist trap and a little more like it’s trying to become something on its own. Siesta key was absolutely perfect the one day we spent there. But I feel like it’s almost twice as much as far as property prices goes. 

We have friends who have a place on Siesta Key on the bayside just south of the south bridge. They lived inland and planned to rebuild the thing, but they kept using it for years as a weekly rental, a place to take the boat out and just a place to go when it wasn’t rented. They are very close friends, and it was a rule that whenever it wasn’t rented, it was ours to stay at when we went back to Sarasota. It became almost an annual thing. My son actually had his Covid wedding reception there. Love it! 

2 hours ago, Savage said:

Penticton , BC

Very low crime rate as well.

With over 2,100 hours of sunshine, and only 15 inches of rain annually, the area has a comfortable climate year round.

The days are shorter in winter but temperatures can still reach highs of up to 5°C with an average low of just -4°C from December to February, and up to an average high of 15°C in October and April.

• Haha (+1) 1