Places to retire

SDS

21 minutes ago, jayg said:

My mother left Bradenton 5 years ago and my Aunt left last year. Crazy to hear St Armand is under water.  

This year they have had not one but TWO storms with more damage than anything we saw in our ~20 years there. Mothers with infants and toddlers having to be evacuated from their house by boats, places that have never flooded were underwater. It’s crazy stuff, and may just cool that market off for a while. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Augie said:

This year they have had not one but TWO storms with more damage than anything we saw in our ~20 years there. Mothers with infants and toddlers having to be evacuated from their house by boats, places that have never flooded were underwater. It’s crazy stuff, and may just cool that market off for a while. 

You seen your favorite town Asheville?

Entire towns are gone. Probably forever since rebuilding them won't make sense. Nebo, swananoa, and more are almost entirely destroyed. 

Further down below lake lure it's worse.

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

You seen your favorite town Asheville?

Entire towns are gone. Probably forever since rebuilding them won't make sense. Nebo, swananoa, and more are almost entirely destroyed. 

Further down below lake lure it's worse.

It’s certainly not my favorite town, but I heard today Asheville took a crushing blow. That sucks in so many ways. 

7 hours ago, mrags said:

I don’t really want a night life. I just found it odd that PCB is supposed to be more of a college kid party town and it didn’t feel like that at all. On top of it I’ve heard people say Destin is more laid back and not as busy. Based on what I saw last night, I can’t imagine a coastal town in Florida being less busy. Just a really odd vibe to last night. Like I said, it might be because the hurricane that just came through Florida. Still just feels strange 

We’re def going to be taking a drive there today or maybe tomorrow or Monday. Not sure what we’re doing for the Bills game yet so not sure tomorrow is the day. lol 

Panama City has been a college spring break town for 40 yrs.  You get 20 something’s post college going therr innthe spring as well.

with Helene many pulled out of any trip to that area with the uncertainty of the storm. My

SIL niece ( I look at her as a niece as I’ve known her when she was born) married someone who is from pensecola. They live in buffalo area. His parents have a house very close to the beach.

Chapin SC. About 35 minutes from Columbia SC, We have a place that we bought 10 years ago, spent 2 nights and has been rented since. The deck overlooks the first hole of a very nice golf course. Also sits on a large lake with slips for your boat. The tenant is getting on in years and when she is done, we will make it our winter home. Rarely does it get cold enough to even see snow, weather in winter is between around 40s to 60s and 70s. The plan is to spend some time in the place and see if it suits us, or do we want to move towards the other side of the lake into condos in Lexington. 

On 9/27/2024 at 12:28 PM, Augie said:

I lived in HHI for many years. We would drive to Savannah to fly out, or Jacksonville if we had to. I absolutely LOVE the lowcountry from Jax up to Charleston, but the summers are brutally hot. It was MUCH hotter than living in Florida. Savannah is much nicer than it was 25 years ago. 

We love NC in the summer and go to Blowing Rock and/or Asheville almost every year. The problem for me is finding the place that has decent weather 12 months a year. Blowing Rock is about 4k ft elevation which makes it great in the summer, not so much in the winter unless you want some crappy skiing. 

I’ve spent a lot of time pondering where we will be when my wife retires. It’s wasted energy for the most part, because we will be where the son and grandkids are. It’s possible that we split our resources and have a couple smaller places, one where he ends up and one in our ideal location. 

I would look into Brentwood south of Nashville if I were shopping for a landing spot. Where there is wealth you generally get nice “stuff”,  like restaurants and golf courses. The weather isn’t bad and it’s a decent airport. 

Looking at the bigger picture, several people we know who have lived and travelled everywhere say Spain is one place they’d like to settle down one day. 

Brentwood / traffic Nashville traffic is bad and getting worse.  

Wife and I returned to Knoxville (her hometown) Nice weather - 4 seasons, but winter is mild and short. Golf here is good if you are a hacker.  If you are a serious player maybe not so much.

Airport - not two hours to major hub. Atlanta (highly traffic dependent) well beyond two hours. Nashville (not a hub but manydirects due to tourists) can be had in a bit more than two hours.

Internet - not sure what you seek - more fiber being laid daily.  

i'm assuming the op is looking for one established home to live in full time.  i'm not sure there's any one place i'd want to live in all year.  i assume i'd do an area by our kids, (however that works out) then someplace warm and sunny like palm beach in the winter.  right now i can't really think of one place that i could do 100% full time.

On 9/27/2024 at 10:41 AM, Steve O said:

Um...How about suburban Rochester? Rochester weather now is like Maryland was 20 years ago. Past 2 years I've only shoveled 2x per year, all 4 of those I was saying to myself "better do it now before the snow melts." Gave my snow blower to my brother who lives in Tonawanda, he needs it more than I do.

Last year golfed right up till Thanksgiving. Many private, semi private, and public courses to choose from. Semi privates are probably the best value. I belong to an entry level private club as well as a men's club at a public course. All 3 of the county owned public courses have private men's clubs with privileges like preferred weekend tee times and 8-10 tournaments a year. $450 you can play all 3 county courses, over 62 you can pay $7 for 9 or $9 for 18 walking. And oh yeah, we have water!! 

As to North Carolina, just ask my brother who lives in Asheville how he's enjoyed the past 36 hours. At his last check in a couple hours ago he had no power, over 12 inches of rain and it was starting to pick up. 

how could you even suggest this to the poor guy.  i love the area now, but come january this place is awful.  not really cold and snowy as you said, but the constant gray.

• Like (+1) 1