Matt who? - Dorian Williams - What will the Bills do when Milano can return?

BuffaloBill

A nice breakdown of Dorian Williams in pass coverage at about the 1:00 mark.

This kid is just starting to shine.  The Bills staff deserves a ton of credit for showing up this uber athletic kid’s game. You saw flashes last year but all too often he was over running or out of position.

Not now.

What will the Bills do when Milano is ready to return? What a cool problem to have.

• Like (+1) 1

Yup I said it in the game day thread. He’s starting to show what he’s made of the more he has been on the field getting reps. 

I was very high on him coming out of the draft , my # 2 MLB behind Jack Campbell. 

I think he is the eventual replacement for Milano but the problem is Milano can’t really be cut until 2026. It’s good to see if Williams can sustain this over more time before going down that road. 

• Like (+1) 2

Always thought this could become a question we have down the line. 

Williams has an elite physical profile for a modern linebacker and if it clicks for him, he has all the tools to be a monster in this defense.

If Milano is 100% healthy later this season and can seamlessly integrate back into the defense, I think you have to go with him, but Williams/Bernard are the future.. and that could start sooner than we ever imagined. 

Edited by SCBills

Yeah like you said it is good problem to have.

Anyway, there is always someone injured, so problems like this one often sort themselves out.

Btw we have similar "problem" with our boundary CBs right now. I am pretty sure that Elam would be more than serviceable NFL starter, but we might never know the way how Douglas and Benford are playing.

I've really liked what I've seen out of him this year. The Ravens offense will challenge our LBs more than any team so far. So, if he balls out this weekend, I'm ready to anoint him the future. 

Yeah, I agree that he is not up to the level of Milano, but Milano has had health problems. The luxury that the Bills have now is that because of Williams' play and because they keep winning there is no need to rush him pack.  They can wait until he is healthy and then ease him back in.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Good problem,but bottom line do you keep a 30 year old coming off 2 serious injuries back to back over him? Or do you use Milano as trade bait?

I choose the latter. 

that's attractive trade bait....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

that's attractive trade bait....

Perfect response!!!!

Who is going to trade for an oft injured player on a big contract?  That's right no one will.  They would have to see some film that he's healthy and playing well to even consider trading for him after the season.  He isn't coming back until Dec at the earliest way after this year's deadline.

So what does McD do when (if?) Milano returns this season.  It depends.  How well is Williams playing?  Has he improved in pass coverage? Etc...

My guess is Milano and Williams rotate depending on down, distance, and place on the field. Once Milano proves full healthy, he'll be the starter.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Good problem,but bottom line do you keep a 30 year old coming off 2 serious injuries back to back over him? Or do you use Milano as trade bait?

I choose the latter. 

Tre White anyone? Same book different chapter 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I said we should try and trade him at peak value not because I don't like him or want him,but because we have invested in depth and can make a sizeable return on the pick while also getting another shot at a younger blue chip prospect.

That was in one of the draft threads here. I got flamed of course.

It's a nice problem to have, but we could upgrade our team long run if we get a return and invest it wisely.

And he gets hurt a lot.

Edited by Sharky7337

It's promising, but I'd like to see how he does against an offense with a good running game and a strong TE before I anoint him as the new starter over Milano.

• Like (+1) 1