If Hopkins becomes available, would you want Beane to trade for him?

SCBills

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Just to clear it up, the context of my post was that poster had just been saying he doesn't trust rookies to make the plays come playoff time, then he just propped up Rice the following post.  So my point was Rice was a rookie #1 WR last year when the Chiefs won the Super Bowl.  

Here is the thing...Rice has to take that step.  Kelce was falling off last year until he found a fountain of youth pill in the playoffs and this year is no different.  Brown is out, and Worthy has been literally irrelevant outside of a handoff and one broken play all in week 1.  

But here, we don't "need" Coleman to take that kind of a production step when we are spreading the ball around so effectively and those people are making the plays when getting the targets.  So I think it is highly unlikely that Coleman, or any Bills WR, takes as significant of a statistical jump as we will see Rice take this year.  Especially now that Pacheco is also out a long period of time.  Rice is there entire offense right now so I think its quite likely he will see a pretty significant stats jump this year.  

Agree with all of this

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Agree with all of this

And of course...all of that could change for us still too, this is only a small sample size of 3 weeks.  If defenses figure out how to stifle this offense between having more film and stiffer opposition, we may then need to start seeing Coleman take on a much bigger role late in the season and playoffs the way Rice started to do last year.  But so far it at least appears to be less of a need in comparison to Rice and what they need from him in KC this year.  And hopefully it does stay that way as I think we can all agree its better for Josh when he can play this way and focus on just hitting the open guy as opposed to having to focus on a specific target.  

15 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

What's wrong with a little added insurance?  Again, I'm pro "add talent."

Im not against adding talent, every team always can add more talent.  But I do worry about disrupting chemistry, so I am less comfortable going after a guy who is used to being a priority and plugging him into an offense designed to not prioritize anyone and wants its players to run clear outs, block, etc.  

I was just saying you were stating you don't trust rookies to make contested catches but then you were propping up Rice who as a rookie made the plays and helped KC win the SB.  Just because Coleman is a rookie doesn't mean he can't be a reliable guy to make the contested catches come playoff time is all I am saying.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Does Hopkins give us a better option than what we have? I don’t necessarily believe so.  Who loses touches? 3rd WR?  He’s not displacing Samuel or Shakir, or Kincaid/Knox touches. Not spending that much money on a guy who is at best WR 3 and 5th in line for touches.

Most importantly, Beane is very cap conscious. Not making a large money move right now.

Well I believe DHop is much better than the options we have now.  The WRs that lose touches (or more relevant - playing time) are MVS/Hollins and Coleman.  DHop would be an outside boundary WR.  The best one we have.

And of the top tier WRs, DHop has been priced the most reasonably IMO.  TN got him for $13M/yr, G Davis money.  The Bills would only need to pay a portion of that for 2024 and can manipulate the cap in many ways if they trade and renegotiate his contract with an extention that includes 2025.

10 minutes ago, Andrew Son said:

Does anyone have any good examples of an in-season trade like this putting a team over the top?

It depends on what you mean by "over the top." CMC worked out for the 49ers right away and Amari Cooper played well in Dallas after a mid-season trade.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Andrew Son said:

Does anyone have any good examples of an in-season trade like this putting a team over the top?

Not exactly a trade but pretty much the same thing is the Rams acquiring OBJ mid season in 2021 just after the Browns released Beckham.  The Rams don't win the Super Bowl without him as he was still elite.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Not exactly a trade but pretty much the same thing is the Rams acquiring OBJ mid season in 2021 just after the Browns released Beckham.  The Rams don't win the Super Bowl without him as he was still elite.

Von Miller also played a big role in that Super Bowl win too.

• Like (+1) 2

I am honestly at a really good place with this offense and how it's being run. I was really scared going into the season, but NOT having a Diggs type receiver is working out better for us I think.

If we were to add some pieces, I would want it on defense.

In answer to the original question, McBeane and Company probably discuss this and myriad other issues on a daily basis. The answer to the question can change gradually over time or suddenly at a moment's notice. As for me, I'd revisit the question in 3 weeks. 

On 9/26/2024 at 10:20 AM, RoscoeParrish said:

I think it’s injury.

If he’s rendered ineffective because of a lingering foot injury, that brings the WR number to 4. That’s a razor thing margin for a season. Jmo.

I believe they're intentionally bringing Curtis Samuel along slowly to aid his recovery at a time where his contributions haven't been necessary to the team's success.

On 9/26/2024 at 10:41 AM, Logic said:

You know I've joined the "Bills need more talent at WR" bandwagon and have been on it all offseason.

I still think the Bills need to add talent at WR, early offensive success notwithstanding.

That said, I just don't think Hopkins is the guy.

I think they're consciously trying to build a culture and mindset of selflessness and hard work in the receiver room, and I don't think Hopkins fits what they're looking for in that regard. I'm not saying he's a low character guy or a diva or anything like that. I just don't think he fits what the Bills currently seem to want from an intangibles standpoint.

I'm still in favor of them bringing someone in, just not necessarily Hopkins.

We usually only talk about people "we've heard of." I agree that there's some players out there on teams that won't be sniffing the playoffs that might be better fits than Odell... I mean DeAndre Hopkins.

On 9/26/2024 at 11:09 AM, thenorthremembers said:

No.  Hopkins had his chance to be a Buffalo Bill and he chose the money.    Thats all I'd need to know as a GM.   If Cleveland is out of it by the deadline I'd inquire about Amari Cooper, a little younger, a lot cheaper. 

Agreed. If he comes here it's not because he wants to be here. If he doesn't want to be here he can... 

On 9/26/2024 at 11:14 AM, GunnerBill said:

Yea Im in on Cooper.

I've heard of him!

On 9/26/2024 at 11:16 AM, 14774 said:

Can he kick?🤷‍♂️🤣

On 9/26/2024 at 11:20 AM, JP51 said:

as of now no... 

Maybe move him to safety when he starts losing some athletic ability?

On 9/26/2024 at 9:04 PM, Sojourner said:

After watching the giants/cowboys game… what’s the deal with jalin hyatt???

have they given up on him? he seems to be an afterthought and didn’t see that much production last year. 

guy was an all american and won the belitnikoff his junior season at tennessee. would he be worth enquiring if something goes wrong at receiver?

No one's heard of him. Stop being silly.

On 9/27/2024 at 12:05 PM, DCofNC said:

I’d take him, if for no other reason than to keep him away from KC.

There's no great franchise in sports for which the above (paranoid, cowardly, fearful) is a part of their mindset.

Am I wrong? Who does this?

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And what was Rice last year when the Chiefs won the SB?  

Hint:  Rhymes with "Wookie"

In addition to smoking blunts and racing cars he was also taking bets?!

• Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Well I believe DHop is much better than the options we have now.  The WRs that lose touches (or more relevant - playing time) are MVS/Hollins and Coleman.  DHop would be an outside boundary WR.  The best one we have.

And of the top tier WRs, DHop has been priced the most reasonably IMO.  TN got him for $13M/yr, G Davis money.  The Bills would only need to pay a portion of that for 2024 and can manipulate the cap in many ways if they trade and renegotiate his contract with an extention that includes 2025.

Do you think Beane, who is super stingy with the cap, will open the wallet  for a big money guy we have shown no need for?  Hopkins ain’t cheap.  Sorry.

Look up our upcoming FA’s. Can’t be in cap hell when Rousseau, AJ, Shakir, Bernard and others all come due same year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Unless we start seeing the team struggle and wr play is part of the reason then I would not be interested in adding anyone here.

Month of October will tell us what we need to know going into the trade deadline.  Got to let this play out some more IMO

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

There's no great franchise in sports for which the above (paranoid, cowardly, fearful) is a part of their mindset.

Am I wrong? Who does this?

You sign/trade for players that make your team better, but also keeps the competition from getting better, happens all the time.  This would be a perfect case of it. 

19 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Do you think Beane, who is super stingy with the cap, will open the wallet  for a big money guy we have shown no need for?  Hopkins ain’t cheap.  Sorry.

Look up our upcoming FA’s. Can’t be in cap hell when Rousseau, AJ, Shakir, Bernard and others all come due same year.

Actually he’s super cheap to acquire and especially for a #1 WR.  He’s got a base salary of under 9M which 1/4 of is already gone AND 3 void years on the contract already, so you can trade for him, restructure to a vet min deal, kick ~ 6M into signing bonus, meaning a cap hit of 3M and decreasing with every game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1