If Hopkins becomes available, would you want Beane to trade for him?

SCBills

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They are only going to do that if what you are offering them is enticing. Why restructure to eat money and then trade him for a 6th? Doesn't make any sense. Now if someone is giving them a 3rd? Then I can see it. For a rebuilding team is a 3rd worth eating a few mil for? Yes. I am just not sold he is worth that at this point but I haven't sat down and watched a Titans game beginning to end yet this season. 

C'mon man,  you know Beane would do a pick swap.   And those are great for the court of public opinion.   All Bills fans remember about the Diggs trade is that the Bills got a 2nd rounder. ;)

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I don't buy that they just need a guy to run fast outside and little else like Mims.   History(including last season) tells us that Hopkins could fill all of those gaps in the Bills passing game.   By week 9 I suspect we will have heat maps that show the Bills can't hit the high and outside stuff and defense's will be serving that up to take away more of what they are currently built for.

I think that is right. I am less sure that by week 9 the analytics will be showing that DHop is winning those routes. I have only seen snippets of him this year but he has definitely looked like he has lost something. Maybe some of it is "want to" as much as "can do" but that is my pause for thought. 

At a cheap price I'm in. But if that price has to escalate to convince them to eat money... that's where I get a little more wary.

• Like (+1) 2

No.  Even if the Bills made a move for him at the trade deadline they'd still have to pay him somewhere in the neighborhood of $7 million dollars.    Thats incredibly expensive for an 8 game rental whose contract isn't guaranteed for next year.    Hopkins had his chance to be a Buffalo Bill and he chose the money.    Thats all I'd need to know as a GM.   If Cleveland is out of it by the deadline I'd inquire about Amari Cooper, a little younger, a lot cheaper. 

Edited by thenorthremembers

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

No.  Even if the Bills made a move for him at the trade deadline they'd still have to pay him somewhere in the neighborhood of $7 million dollars.    Thats incredibly expensive for an 8 game rental whose contract isn't guaranteed for next year.    Hopkins had his chance to be a Buffalo Bill and he chose the money.    Thats all I'd need to know as a GM.   If Cleveland is out of it by the deadline I'd inquire about Amari Cooper, a little younger, a lot cheaper. 

Yea Im in on Cooper.

First of all, I don't think that they will trade him. They have to learn what they have in Levis and the only way to do that is to keep the weapons around him. Secondly, I don't think he's a fit. 

Since this is a thread about WR trades, one trade that I am almost certain will happen and will cause a full TBD meltdown is Devonte Adams to the Jets. Devonte's already talking about "business decisions," and the Jets have the cap space to get the band back together. 

8 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

How did you compute your $7M figure?

Hopkin's remaining base salary would be around $4M at the deadline.

It's a complicated contract but I think that's all the acquiring team would take with them and I suspect that remaining base is very negotiable.  

Cooper is cheap but I think he's a higher trade compensation level and I've never been a big fan of his compete.   He's been a bit of a loser's loser.   DHop doesn't lack for compete. 

It's not happening.  This regime has clearly told us this off-season that this WR by committee approach is what they're going with for better or worse.  They also told us they're going younger and cheaper.  Hopkins is the opposite of that at this point in his career and he's too expensive for a rental player.  Now if the Browns want to dump Amari Cooper........

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It's not happening.  This regime has clearly told us this off-season that this WR by committee approach is what they're going with for better or worse.  They also told us they're going younger and cheaper.  Hopkins is the opposite of that at this point in his career and he's too expensive for a rental player.  Now if the Browns want to dump Amari Cooper........

I think Beane at least deserves credit for not just taking it when it's for "worse".   He loves the trade deadline.  It's one thing to not make a move in March but when it's needed in October he's shown a sense of urgency.

30 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

How did you compute your $7M figure?

Hopkin's remaining base salary would be around $4M at the deadline.

It's a complicated contract but I think that's all the acquiring team would take with them and I suspect that remaining base is very negotiable.  

Cooper is cheap but I think he's a higher trade compensation level and I've never been a big fan of his compete.   He's been a bit of a loser's loser.   DHop doesn't lack for compete. 

His season cap hit is $18,313,000.  If he is traded post June 1st, the Browns eat $1,963,000 of his salary.     Given the trade deadline is Nov 5th, I would envision any team trading for him would do it before the November 3rd games.   His game checks are an average of 1,077,235.  You get him for 8 games minus the $1,963,000 the Browns would take as dead cap.     Gets you somewhere in the range of $6.8 million for 8 games. 

Just a quick and dirty.  

Edited by thenorthremembers

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Take this with a grain of salt, but given the Titans start, it seems almost a given that he will want out & they would look to accommodate that (if things don’t turn around for them). 

If it was Dustin Hopkins the PK, sign me up!

• Agree 1

Absolutely not!  I strongly believed going into the season that we had better receiving talent than the loudest voices on this board and that it wasn’t necessary to have a true “#1” wide receiver to make it work.

Out of the 10 superbowls that were won between Brady and Mahomes only 1 time was there a true WR.

Shakir is fantastic, Kincaid and Cook are really good, Coleman and Samuels are effective and Mack Hollins is a good role player not to mention Knox is a high end TE 2 and the other two RB’s are well above average receiving threats.

You combine that with our top 5 O- line and top 2 QB this team is good to go on offense.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think Beane at least deserves credit for not just taking it when it's for "worse".   He loves the trade deadline.  It's one thing to not make a move in March but when it's needed in October he's shown a sense of urgency.

True.  The Douglas trade last year was needed because Elam wasn't up to the task of replacing T. White.  Also, he had another year left on his deal.  I think you'd need just an avalanche of injuries at the WR position for Beane to try and trade for an expensive WR like Hopkins.  Learning the playbook and developing chemistry with Allen takes time.  Do you really want to spend $7m or whatever it is on a rental player with the hope that he'll be a meaningful contributor in January?

• Like (+1) 1