If Hopkins becomes available, would you want Beane to trade for him?

SCBills

If Beane thinks he’s still got it then I think yes, definitely. I don’t really care if MVS falls off the bottom of the roster. Hopkins can steal some of Hollins and Coleman’s snaps at boundary WR. We don’t have a player that can beat coverage like him down the field.

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

4th quarter, 2 minutes to go, we're down by 6, in the AFCCG against the Chiefs. Everyone in the stadium knows we have to pass the ball and their defensive formation is daring us to beat them outside. Does anybody really trust Hollins, Coleman, or MVS in that situation right now? So yes give me a guy that's proven time and time again he makes big plays in those critical moments of close games. Trading for Hopkins is an ideal move to get us over the hump.

Do you have a crystal ball? Any chance he is not the ideal guy? My crystal ball says stay away!

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

He no longer seems like a fit for what the Bills are doing in the passing game.

It seems to me that the Bills want their Sacrificial X receiver to be a great blocker and a selfless player. Hollins is that guy.

From all perspectives: effort, selflessness, play style...I don't see the Bills wanting to take on Deandre Hopkins.

Now if they can flip a late day three pick for Marvin Mims to add some speed and explosiveness to the Z, I'd be all over it.

Shakir wasn't really fitting in with what the Bills were doing as they were destroying teams at this time last year.   Then they had like 700 yards passing in games 4 and 5 as well.  

Didn't look like they needed anything on offense then either.

But they did.   If they had the dynamic and sure-handed Hopkins in that KC playoff game.........I think they survive and advance.

People gotta' learn,  a lot can change DURING a season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Much of our success right now is due to the fact that all of our WR's are willing and capable blockers

You can see the huge difference vs past seasons just in these last 3 games

Is DeAndre Hopkins gonna give us that unselfish play?  Highly unlikely

• Like (+1) 1

His base is $8.2m even if we trade for him half way through the year that is likely to be $4m plus. That is every penny we have left in cap. I don't think that is doable. 

If it came for a throw away pick and manageable on the cap - sure. 

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Shakir wasn't really fitting in with what the Bills were doing as they were destroying teams at this time last year.   Then they had like 700 yards passing in games 4 and 5 as well.  

But they did.   If they had the dynamic and sure-handed Hopkins in that KC playoff game.........I think they survive and advance.

You know I've joined the "Bills need more talent at WR" bandwagon and have been on it all offseason.

I still think the Bills need to add talent at WR, early offensive success notwithstanding.

That said, I just don't think Hopkins is the guy.

I think they're consciously trying to build a culture and mindset of selflessness and hard work in the receiver room, and I don't think Hopkins fits what they're looking for in that regard. I'm not saying he's a low character guy or a diva or anything like that. I just don't think he fits what the Bills currently seem to want from an intangibles standpoint.

I'm still in favor of them bringing someone in, just not necessarily Hopkins.

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

We got to learn huh, and you’re the guy! BTW 2023 is long gone welcome to 2024!

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

His base is $8.2m even if we trade for him half way through the year that is likely to be $4m plus. That is every penny we have left in cap. I don't think that is doable. 

If it came for a throw away pick and manageable on the cap - sure. 

I’d expect the titans to eat a lot of that hit in order to trade him.  Not many SB contenders with the cap space to absorb $4-6M

10 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Hopkins carries an $18 m cap hit this year and is a free agent next year.  He is unaffordable for the Bills even if they wanted to.  

That's not how the salary cap works.

$8M base salary.   The trade deadline is after week 9 so about $4M cost.

He has some bonus stuff that would have to be worked out but like I said, I suspect the Titans would eat some of that for a little more compensation.

Totally manageable.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

4th quarter, 2 minutes to go, we're down by 6, in the AFCCG against the Chiefs. Everyone in the stadium knows we have to pass the ball and their defensive formation is daring us to beat them outside. Does anybody really trust Hollins, Coleman, or MVS in that situation right now? So yes give me a guy that's proven time and time again he makes big plays in those critical moments of close games. Trading for Hopkins is an ideal move to get us over the hump.

I trust Kincaid, Samuel and Skakir in that situation.  

If we continue to roll on offense with what we have, it's obviously working, so why mess with it?  

This is my personal take and opinion.  Allen is playing more loose just because Diggs isn't here.  He doesn't have to go to him X amount of times.

We are hearing it in his press conferences.  It's a relief to him.  

I wouldn't make any changes until it's needed.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

I’d expect the titans to eat a lot of that hit in order to trade him.  Not many SB contenders with the cap space to absorb $4-6M

They are only going to do that if what you are offering them is enticing. Why restructure to eat money and then trade him for a 6th? Doesn't make any sense. Now if someone is giving them a 3rd? Then I can see it. For a rebuilding team is a 3rd worth eating a few mil for? Yes. I am just not sold he is worth that at this point but I haven't sat down and watched a Titans game beginning to end yet this season. 

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

You know I've joined the "Bills need more talent at WR" bandwagon and have been on it all offseason.

I still think the Bills need to add talent at WR, early offensive success notwithstanding.

That said, I just don't think Hopkins is the guy.

I think they're consciously trying to build a culture and mindset of selflessness and hard work in the receiver room, and I don't think Hopkins fits what they're looking for in that regard. I'm not saying he's a low character guy or a diva or anything like that. I just don't think he fits what the Bills currently seem to want from an intangibles standpoint.

I'm still in favor of them bringing someone in, just not necessarily Hopkins.

Yeah I don't buy that they just need a guy to run fast outside and little else like Mims.   History(including last season) tells us that Hopkins could fill all of those gaps in the Bills passing game.   By week 9 I suspect we will have heat maps that show the Bills can't hit the high and outside stuff and defense's will be serving that up to take away more of what they are currently built for.

• Like (+1) 4