If Hopkins becomes available, would you want Beane to trade for him?

SCBills

13 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

It’s one game, but if I’m the Houston DC, I’m putting Stingley on Shakir and flooding the middle and trying to do everything the Ravens did. 

Im going to call it now - Coleman is going to see 7+ targets next week.  I think this is what is going to be the silver lining, that this was sort of a coming out party for him.  

And once Coleman starts establishing himself as a primary target in this offense, they won’t be able to cheat their top CB to Shakir.  

Now…the bigger concern is how can they get Samuel going.  When we need to get into high uptempo pass attack, we should be relying on Coleman, Shakir, Kincaid, and Samuel…but so far it’s like they have no idea what to do with Samuel out there.  They need to get him involved.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Im going to call it now - Coleman is going to see 7+ targets next week.  I think this is what is going to be the silver lining, that this was sort of a coming out party for him.  

And once Coleman starts establishing himself as a primary target in this offense, they won’t be able to cheat their top CB to Shakir.  

Now…the bigger concern is how can they get Samuel going.  When we need to get into high uptempo pass attack, we should be relying on Coleman, Shakir, Kincaid, and Samuel…but so far it’s like they have no idea what to do with Samuel out there.  They need to get him involved.

I think Coleman had a really good showing. I definitely could see his volume uptick because of the way teams are going to defend us now.

But that’s a big ask for a 20 year old rookie in his fifth start. Hopefully you’re right and he explodes and makes teams think twice about squatting on Shakir. Even if he does, I think it might take 2-3 games for teams to adjust. 

7 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

I think Coleman had a really good showing. I definitely could see his volume uptick because of the way teams are going to defend us now.

But that’s a big ask for a 20 year old rookie in his fifth start. Hopefully you’re right and he explodes and makes teams think twice about squatting on Shakir. Even if he does, I think it might take 2-3 games for teams to adjust. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting he’s going to suddenly become a top 10 WR in a week or anything, I am more saying I think they are going to make him a bigger part of the offense moving forward.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Samuel looked like he has a decent arm tonight, maybe that’s the way?

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, DCofNC said:

You sign/trade for players that make your team better, but also keeps the competition from getting better, happens all the time.  This would be a perfect case of it. 

Actually he’s super cheap to acquire and especially for a #1 WR.  He’s got a base salary of under 9M which 1/4 of is already gone AND 3 void years on the contract already, so you can trade for him, restructure to a vet min deal, kick ~ 6M into signing bonus, meaning a cap hit of 3M and decreasing with every game.

Thanks for this information. Every 20 posts , someone again brings up "we cannot afford him".

To that I say, we cannot afford not to have someone like him on this team. If yesterday's game provided a blueprint to our other future opponents , we are in trouble (much as was expected but hoped against). I am not saying that a DeAndre Hopkins would bring us a win yesterday (,cos there were other issues) but certainly we would have another, missing now, element to the offense. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Absolutely correct here.  I’d also argue for more from Kincaid and Knox, but especially Kincaid.  You spent a first round pick on him and traded up to do so, GET HIM THE BALL!  Samuel is the only guy on the roster that really has shown to have any big play ability in the past, wtf are we going with him?  Nothing.  

The Ravens outright dared them to throw deep and instead they continued to run/pass into the teeth of the D, I don’t get it.  You have to be willing to do something down field, it certainly doesn’t help that there are zero WRs that scare anyone, which was my concern all along, but you still have to push it.   As soon as they threw the ball to Coleman who had one on one, they got chunk yards, keep doing it!  When the D had 10-11 in the box, you can’t keep trying to run the ball.  4 yards on first down means you have to execute the next 2 plays flawlessly just to keep the drive going and you have to do that 8 times in a row to score.  It works when teams screw up, but please don’t tell me both sides of the ball are now going to sit around and wait for the other team to make mistakes to be effective.   That is not going to work, especially in the playoffs. 

Both sides of the ball got out coached and out played, it was pathetic.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting he’s going to suddenly become a top 10 WR in a week or anything, I am more saying I think they are going to make him a bigger part of the offense moving forward.  

I think they have to. And we will see the results that come from that.

• Like (+1) 1

Is $7 million "too expensive" now?

Again, I don't care if it's a "rental" if that helps us win games this season. Unfortunately, I don't see Beane making any kind of big moves before the trade deadline this year. They're still a year away from having the cap flexibility to do so.

22 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

2 years ago these guys had no clue what to do with Hines.  Last year they had no answer for how to use Harty. Now we have another above average player who is being ignored completely.  God there's days I wish Andy ran this offense. 

• Like (+1) 1