If Hopkins becomes available, would you want Beane to trade for him?

SCBills

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You have to win some shootouts in this league. It became extremely obvious tonight we don't have the personnel to win shootouts. Not even close. Mack Hollins is great when the game script is perfect and we are able to use him as a blocker. When we're down two scores and need to move down the ball field quickly, Hollins is useless. Coleman is still improving but we can't rely on him either. Shakir got shut down by the Ravens putting a true CB on him. The pass catchers aren't good enough and any improvement would be welcome right now.

I think the OL had a lot more to do with the issues tonight than anything.  They couldn’t get Cook going, they couldn’t pass protect, and they got to Josh with ease on 3rd downs.  

I wouldn’t say no to Hopkins, but I also didn’t leave that game feeling that the WR group was why we lost.

• Agree 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Nothing knee jerk about it. I've been saying the same thing for months. The knee jerk reactions were the ones that said 3 wins to start the season meant our pass catching weapons were good enough.

Tonight isn't just about the defense getting steamrolled. The offense got steamrolled too. And unlike the defense we don't have replacements waiting in the injury tent. This is the offense we have for the entire season and it isn't good enough.

So a 3 game sample size is more knee jerk than 1?  

So you 100% expect our offense to be not good enough for the next 13 games?  

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

One game declares this?

When we got smoked by Indy at home, the last time we got blown out….did we prove back then we couldn’t win shoot outs.

Yes, we played terribly tonight.  But these are pretty knee jerk posts aren’t they?

Hollins and MVS are who they are. That’s why they are bouncing around the league. Hollins was awful tonight, you think he’s just gonna all of be sudden be consistent when times get tough? Not happening.  Like to see Curtis Samuel used in a different roll but we need another WR. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think the OL had a lot more to do with the issues tonight than anything.  They couldn’t get Cook going, they couldn’t pass protect, and they got to Josh with ease on 3rd downs.  

I wouldn’t say no to Hopkins, but I also didn’t leave that game feeling that the WR group was why we lost.

The pass protection to me was a scheme issue. We couldn't pick up any blitzes. That is a coaching issue more than a talent issue IMO.

WR separation on the other hand was a talent issue. Hollins is a great run blocker but he is totally useless in a game like tonight. MVS is useless in general. Coleman is a rookie and cannot be relied on. Even Shakir is not a realistic high volume funnel, he is just a very good role player. Kincaid is a contributor, not a focal point like I hoped he could be when we drafted him. We need someone that the passing offense can go through.

Just now, BananaB said:

Hollins and MVS are who they are. That’s why they are bouncing around the league. Hollins was awful tonight, you think he’s just gonna all of be sudden be consistent when times get tough? Not happening.  Like to see Curtis Samuel used in a different roll but we need another WR. 

I don’t expect either one of them to be main contributors.  Shakir, Kincaid, Samuel and Cook will be our main offense.

I mean, Reid brought MVS to KC twice.  Is he good enough to play for KC twice but not Buffalo?  He is our #5/#6 wideout.  

1 minute ago, BananaB said:

This team has taken a good player like Samuel and have totally miss used him. Just like they did to Harty & Hines. It's hard to watch. Dorsey had no clue what to do with H & H.  And Joe has no clue what to do with Curtis Samuel?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So a 3 game sample size is more knee jerk than 1?  

So you 100% expect our offense to be not good enough for the next 13 games?  

We didn't need our WRs to lead the way in the first 3 games. This was their first big test and they failed.

I still expect us to win the division. But we are going to face tough defenses with varied blitz packages and physical DBs in the playoffs. You probably have to beat 3 teams like that to win a Super Bowl. How can anyone come away from tonight's game feeling confident we have the horses for that?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This team has taken a good player like Samuel and have totally miss used him. Just like they did to Harty & Hines. It's hard to watch. Dorsey had no clue what to do with H & H.  And Joe has no clue what to do with Curtis Samuel?  

Had high expectations for him because he’s pretty versatile, but he’s just an overpaid McKenzie in this offense. And that’s being nice

Edited by BananaB
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

The pass protection to me was a scheme issue. We couldn't pick up any blitzes. That is a coaching issue more than a talent issue IMO.

WR separation on the other hand was a talent issue. Hollins is a great run blocker but he is totally useless in a game like tonight. MVS is useless in general. Coleman is a rookie and cannot be relied on. Even Shakir is not a realistic high volume funnel, he is just a very good role player. Kincaid is a contributor, not a focal point like I hoped he could be when we drafted him. We need someone that the passing offense can go through.

I agree with you about the OL.

With the receivers, it’s hard to gauge them this game with the OL playing so bad and no run game support.  

But, I was encouraged by Coleman tonight and I’m hoping tonight’s silver lining is that he starts being more involved moving forward.   He got open deep multiple times plus he had those great back shoulder plays.  

I have a feeling we will see his targets grow from this point on personally.  

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We didn't need our WRs to lead the way in the first 3 games. This was their first big test and they failed.

I still expect us to win the division. But we are going to face tough defenses with varied blitz packages and physical DBs in the playoffs. You probably have to beat 3 teams like that to win a Super Bowl. How can anyone come away from tonight's game feeling confident we have the horses for that?

Because its a 17 game season and I don’t declare anything this early.  Even our 90’s Super Bowl teams got blown out.

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wait for the all22

35 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You have to win some shootouts in this league. It became extremely obvious tonight we don't have the personnel to win shootouts. Not even close. Mack Hollins is great when the game script is perfect and we are able to use him as a blocker. When we're down two scores and need to move down the ball field quickly, Hollins is useless. Coleman is still improving but we can't rely on him either. Shakir got shut down by the Ravens putting a true CB on him. The pass catchers aren't good enough and any improvement would be welcome right now.

Exactly what I’ve been saying all along. And everyone wants to give me chit for being a downer. It’s games like these, against good teams, that will give us problems. Everything is peachy when you’re winning and blowing people out. It’s when the games get tough and rams your playing against are just as good when you realize things aren’t all sunshine and rainbows. 

And that doesn’t mean I think we’re going to be terrible the rest of the way. Just reiterating the worries that I had months ago and still do. 

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Because its a 17 game season and I don’t declare anything this early.  Even our 90’s Super Bowl teams got blown out.

Again it's not about the loss, even the blowout. We have some pretty stark vulnerabilities on offense that got exposed tonight. This was not just an off night. This was all of our flaws laid bare. All the concerns I had about our ability to be a championship caliber offense are right back at the forefront.

And hey I don't think trading for Hopkins (or whatever other legit outside WR) solves every problem we have on offense, but it sure would help.

I weirdly enough don't feel terrible about the defense even though they got punched in the mouth. All of their issues tonight seem fixable, especially when our injured players come back. The issues with our pass catches on the other hand I don't feel are fixable. The talent level in the room just isn't good enough.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Again it's not about the loss, even the blowout. We have some pretty stark vulnerabilities on offense that got exposed tonight. This was not just an off night. This was all of our flaws laid bare. All the concerns I had about our ability to be a championship caliber offense are right back at the forefront.

And hey I don't think trading for Hopkins (or whatever other legit outside WR) solves every problem we have on offense, but it sure would help.

I weirdly enough don't feel terrible about the defense even though they got punched in the mouth. All of their issues tonight seem fixable, especially when our injured players come back. The issues with our pass catches on the other hand I don't feel are fixable. The talent level in the room just isn't good enough.

I just can’t get there.  

I think a lot of things can happen in the next 3 months and I am not declaring them right now after 1 bad game.

Just because one time out of 4, our offense was awful means that the next 13 are good to be similar.

We lead the league in scoring prior to tonight.  Allen had the best statistical start to a year this year.  

Its one game.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Totally agree....tonight is absolutely no reason to panic but the level of intensity from our OL/DL has to increase.  How we use these receivers will be a season long work in progress.  That King Henry run and epic fail trick play just killed us.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I just can’t get there.  

I think a lot of things can happen in the next 3 months and I am not declaring them right now after 1 bad game.

Just because one time out of 4, our offense was awful means that the next 13 are good to be similar.

We lead the league in scoring prior to tonight.  Allen had the best statistical start to a year this year.  

It’s one game.

It’s one game, but if I’m the Houston DC, I’m putting Stingley on Shakir and flooding the middle and trying to do everything the Ravens did.