If Hopkins becomes available, would you want Beane to trade for him?

SCBills

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

True.  The Douglas trade last year was needed because Elam wasn't up to the task of replacing T. White.  Also, he had another year left on his deal.  I think you'd need just an avalanche of injuries at the WR position for Beane to try and trade for an expensive WR like Hopkins.  Learning the playbook and developing chemistry with Allen takes time.  Do you really want to spend $7m or whatever it is on a rental player with the hope that he'll be a meaningful contributor in January?

Thats the only scenario I see the Bills making a trade for a proven upper end WR prospect.   

If there are no significant injuries to the WR group there will be no trade

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Sig him just to keep him off the Chiefs

I know this is kinda meant as a joke, but I'd seriously consider this. 

We could always use another good WR, but thr Chiefs REALLY could use one right about now. 

Kelce isn't playing well (probably waiting until he plays us again), Hollywood Brown is injured, and only Rashee Rice has really come out strong.

I'm sure they'd love to get Hopkins... but I don't want then to have the chance!

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Nah. He had his chance. He took the bag instead of trying to win. You can’t tell me he thought the Titans would be good. 

we just got rid of a guy that had the bag. Don’t need to add another aging guy that’s gonna want big money. 

But they picked him up in a limo and it was playing his highlights lol

He has to sign in Tenn

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think that is right. I am less sure that by week 9 the analytics will be showing that DHop is winning those routes. I have only seen snippets of him this year but he has definitely looked like he has lost something. Maybe some of it is "want to" as much as "can do" but that is my pause for thought. 

Hopkins has not been playing a lot of snaps this season. If that is due to the lingering effects of the MCL then we can hope he can be somewhat healed by October to play a higher number of snaps.

As for his age, the good thing is that we don't need him to play "every down". That should keep the freshness in his aging legs. 

We can use him to add another dimension to the offense during the regular season. His experience and savvy will help immensely in Jan and Feb 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

No.  Even if the Bills made a move for him at the trade deadline they'd still have to pay him somewhere in the neighborhood of $7 million dollars.    Thats incredibly expensive for an 8 game rental whose contract isn't guaranteed for next year.    Hopkins had his chance to be a Buffalo Bill and he chose the money.    Thats all I'd need to know as a GM.   If Cleveland is out of it by the deadline I'd inquire about Amari Cooper, a little younger, a lot cheaper. 

That's not expensive at all if you think you're a genuine contender & can make a legit SB run.

Can't always look to setting up future years when you still haven't won anything yet. The Chiefs have the luxury of resting on their laurels if they want. There's no sense of urgency outside of just legacy.

The Bills are now 7 years into Allen's career & haven't even made a SB. If $7 million can help push us to that point, who cares if it's a rental & he won't stick around next year? 

If we make or win a SB, it worked out perfectly. 

Not in the least. 

Not sure what the cap implications would be, but have zero desire to add him to the roster.

We have a group of guys that have gelled better than any offense we have had under Josh. Watching the team dance to “Mr. Brightside” shows me this is the most cohesive team we have had.  I am not willing to mess it up with a has been who wouldn’t add anything to our team.

Like I said in the offseason, and it wasn’t well received, Diggs leaving was addition by subtraction. Don’t need to add another guy who wants the ball. Keep the guys who are happy to distribute to everyone.

#EveryoneEats 

Edited by davefan66
punctuation

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

That's not expensive at all if you think you're a genuine contender & can make a legit SB run.

Can't always look to setting up future years when you still haven't won anything yet. The Chiefs have the luxury of resting on their laurels if they want. There's no sense of urgency outside of just legacy.

The Bills are now 7 years into Allen's career & haven't even made a SB. If $7 million can help push us to that point, who cares if it's a rental & he won't stick around next year? 

If we make or win a SB, it worked out perfectly. 

Its not incredibly expensive but they dont currently have the cap space to do it.   

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Take this with a grain of salt, but given the Titans start, it seems almost a given that he will want out & they would look to accommodate that (if things don’t turn around for them). 

I would definitely take him.  At this stage in his career he knows he’s a role player in an offense and he’d be a more effective option than MVS.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Like I said in the offseason, and it wasn’t well received. Diggs leaving was addition by subtraction. Don’t need to add another guy who wants the ball. Keep the guys who are happy to distribute to everyone.

Seems you are assuming DHop would be a diva who would complain about not receiving the ball.  I don't think that's a given.  DHop hasn't been thrown to much this year and hasn't complained.  Also they brought in C Ridley and it seems DHop was able to control himself and not saying anything bad/diva-ish.  Beane would need to explain his role here prior to him coming over and see if DHop is a fit.

I would love to see DHop here.  While the team has done excellent, I do think the MVS/Hollins duo is a weakness (good attitudes but talent wise a weakness).

As an aside, I would like DHop on this Bills SB winning team and have that be the substantial difference in resume that brings him HOF honors over Diggs.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

8 receptions for 90 yards through three games?  He'd fit in perfectly here.  Get 'er done Beane!

He's been working back from an MCL sprain. 27% of snaps in W1, only 44% and 46% in W2 and W3 respectively. This past week he parlayed that relatively low snap share into 6 catches on 7 targets for 73 yards and 1 TD. That blows our outside WR production so far out of the water.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Take this with a grain of salt, but given the Titans start, it seems almost a given that he will want out & they would look to accommodate that (if things don’t turn around for them). 

If the Bills were having trouble scoring maybe but they just got rid of 1 high priced WR with a bit of a attitude and if things aren't going good in Tn & he wants to bolt then why bring him here ? Plus where does the cash come from ? 

It might be a thing if you could get him like the Steelers got Wilson and it would only cost like $1 mill for the rest of the year but i'm not seeing it .

14 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Seems you are assuming DHop would be a diva who would complain about not receiving the ball.  I don't think that's a given.  DHop hasn't been thrown to much this year and hasn't complained.  Also they brought in C Ridley and it seems DHop was able to control himself and not saying anything bad/diva-ish.  Beane would need to explain his role here prior to him coming over and see if DHop is a fit.

I would love to see DHop here.  While the team has done excellent, I do think the MVS/Hollins duo is a weakness (good attitudes but talent wise a weakness).

As an aside, I would like DHop on this Bills SB winning team and have that be the substantial difference in resume that brings him HOF honors over Diggs.

No, I wouldn’t add Hopkins, or anyone else at this time.

Team chemistry is everything. The chemistry on this team is off the charts right now.

Win or lose, I’m sticking with the guys we have.

• Agree 1

I am a firm maybe. Never rule anything out, especially after watching DB’s drop like flies and a LB abort his vacation to come back and play. I pray we are intact all season, but we have a long way to go before the trade deadline of Nov 5, I believe. 

I don’t pretend to know what he has left in the tank, but Happy explained his season to date above and that was intriguing.  I’m good for now, but if it could be done at a reasonable cost, it’s always nice to have good options.