No one is talking about... Javon Solomon

His sack was (and all of his snaps were) in garbage time when everyone knew that the Jags were throwing the ball, so I'm not going to get too excited about that one play, but it still was a nice play and I do think this guy has the potential to be a very good pass rusher and was an excellent pick in the later rounds.  It's not an unrealistic notion that Solomon (Round 5), Coleman (1), Bishop (2), Carter (3), Davis (4), SVP-G (5), and Grable (6) could all someday be solid NFL starters.  Even Hardy (6) showed well in camp and could elevate to the active roster at some point.  I have not seen enough of Ulofoshio to assess where he might end up down the road.  That's on hell of a draft - credit to Beane and the scouting staff AND to McDermott and his staff for coaching them up.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I've been excited about him since we drafted him, because after reading about him I never understood why he was 5th round pick in the first place.

His sack was a piece of beauty and apparently he played well overall.

Only problem I see is that it will be hard for him to get on the field behind Groot, AJ, Von and Smoot. But I am sure he'll get his chances.

Small school, smaller player, and didn't blow anyone away at the combine.  Scouting report says he struggled with the more NFL bound tackles on tape.  

Either way, looks like a baller.  Stud DE's usually go earlier in the draft, but there's always exceptions.  Crosby, Judon, and Hendrickson come to mind as later round picks.  You also see a lot of other dudes in this range za'darius smith, trey flowers, Hubbard, Sweat, and many others in that 2nd tier of solid pass rushers.  Hopefully he can develop and fall in one of these top two tiers.  

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

His sack was (and all of his snaps were) in garbage time when everyone knew that the Jags were throwing the ball, so I'm not going to get too excited about that one play, but it still was a nice play and I do think this guy has the potential to be a very good pass rusher and was an excellent pick in the later rounds.  It's not an unrealistic notion that Solomon (Round 5), Coleman (1), Bishop (2), Carter (3), Davis (4), SVP-G (5), and Grable (6) could all someday be solid NFL starters.  Even Hardy (6) showed well in camp and could elevate to the active roster at some point.  I have not seen enough of Ulofoshio to assess where he might end up down the road.  That's on hell of a draft - credit to Beane and the scouting staff AND to McDermott and his staff for coaching them up.

I don’t discount any great defensive plays by backups in “garbage time”. A few scores surrendered like in the ravens cowboys game and it’s not garbage time anymore. You have to expose your frontline players to injury.  

3 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

I don’t discount any great defensive plays by backups in “garbage time”. A few scores surrendered like in the ravens cowboys game and it’s not garbage time anymore. You have to expose your frontline players to injury.  

I see what you are saying, but the games were different.  The Cowboys were at home, had their starters in, and were trying to make a comeback, which they almost did.  The Jags were on the road and had conceded the game.  They pulled Trevor Lawrence from the game and had Mac Jones in there.

Anyone remember when Nathan Peterman came in against the Saints in garbage time, looked fantastic, and got the starting job?  I had the misfortune of attending the next game when he made his first start.  AGAIN, not to say that I'm not excited about Solomon's future.  I absolutely am!  I think he'll end up being a very good player for the Bills.  I'm just making the point that garbage time play is not something that I get too hyped up about.

• Like (+1) 1

Just a football player.

He is going to be a fun X-factor for Babich dialing up pressures.

Really good at getting off blocks and exploiting the smallest seams with an explosive burst to close on the ball.

4 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

If you’re going to talk about Solomon(who think is going to be a very good pass rusher) than you have to talk about Toohill as well. 

Everyone was surprised Toohill made the roster, myself included, and he has been nothing but great as the # 5 DE on the roster. Not just his sack and FR from last week but his ability to set the edge in the run game has been very impressive to me so far. 

I'm pretty pissed at Toohill. If he picked up that fumble and scored i would have won my parlay

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I see what you are saying, but the games were different.  The Cowboys were at home, had their starters in, and were trying to make a comeback, which they almost did.  The Jags were on the road and had conceded the game.  They pulled Trevor Lawrence from the game and had Mac Jones in there.

Anyone remember when Nathan Peterman came in against the Saints in garbage time, looked fantastic, and got the starting job?  I had the misfortune of attending the next game when he made his first start.  AGAIN, not to say that I'm not excited about Solomon's future.  I absolutely am!  I think he'll end up being a very good player for the Bills.  I'm just making the point that garbage time play is not something that I get too hyped up about.

There is no garbage time to NFL players.. you think Ray Davis touchdown counts any less because the game was already decided? 

To backups and young players and guys trying to make a name there is no garbage time.. tell Ray Davis his touchdown doesn't count because it was garbage time

Edited by Buffalo716

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I'm pretty pissed at Toohill. If he picked up that fumble and scored i would have won my parlay

And then got cocky and lost twice as much next week?

Or broke an ankle jumping around when he scored?

Or partied like a winner and got a DUI?

Don't regret fate; even the wise cannot see all ends :thumbsup:

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

He did sack Trevor Lawrence tho and their entire offensive line was in

There is no garbage time to NFL players.. you think Ray Davis touchdown counts any less because the game was already decided? 

To backups and young players and guys trying to make a name there is no garbage time.. tell Ray Davis his touchdown doesn't count because it was garbage time

I'm not saying that plays made by backups at the end of blowouts (typically referred to as "garbage time") are not important to the players or to the fans.  They count on the scoreboard.  They are often the only time that these guys are going to see the field and gain NFL experience (outside of the preseason).  What I'm saying is that just because a player made some great plays in garbage time, it doesn't mean they're destined for stardom and I'm cautious about being overly optimistic based on what I saw from a player in that situation.  Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled for those guys to make those plays and as a fan, I really enjoy every touchdown, sack, interception, etc.  I'm even crazy enough that I watch the kneel-downs at the end of the game while the clock ticks down to zero, so I truly enjoy it all.  I'm just saying that garbage time plays and statistics may not be predictive of future success in the bigger scheme of things (they might be, but they just as well might not be).

And for what it's worth, the stats say that Solomon had one sack.  This was it - he sacked backup Mac Jones and not starter Trevor Lawrence:   https://www.buffalobills.com/video/javon-solomon-with-a-spectacular-sack-bills-vs-jaguars.  I don't have the time to look up whether starting or backup linemen were on the field at the time.  It was a terrific, fun, exciting play and I am really happy for Solomon (and all Bills players and fans) that he made it.

Edited by msw2112

5 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I'm not saying that plays made by backups at the end of blowouts (typically referred to as "garbage time") are not important to the players or to the fans.  They count on the scoreboard.  They are often the only time that these guys are going to see the field and gain NFL experience (outside of the preseason).  What I'm saying is that just because a player made some great plays in garbage time, that doesn't mean they're destined for stardom and I'm cautious about being overly optimistic based on what I saw from that player in that situation.  Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled for those guys to make those plays and as a fan, I really enjoy every touchdown, sack, interception, etc.  I'm just saying that they may not be predictive of future success in the bigger scheme of things (they might be, but they just as well might not be).

And for what it's worth, the stats say that Solomon had one sack.  This was it - he sacked backup Mac Jones and not starter Trevor Lawrence.  I don't have the time to look up whether starting or backup linemen were on the field at the time.  https://www.buffalobills.com/video/javon-solomon-with-a-spectacular-sack-bills-vs-jaguars

You are correct it was Mac not Trevor 

But that still doesn't take away the fact that all 22 guys on the field are getting paid a lot of money to do their job 

And how you play in a blowout in the last 10 minutes... Could be the difference between a team bringing you back and not bringing you back because of the kind of body language and effort you display especially on the losing side 

NFL teams want guys who never stop trying hard no matter what because a lot of money on the line

Edited by Buffalo716

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You are correct it was Mac not Trevor 

But that still doesn't take away the fact that all 22 guys on the field are getting paid a lot of money to do their job 

And how you play in a blowout in the last 10 minutes... Could be the difference between a team bringing you back and not bringing you back because of the kind of body language and effort you display

I agree with everything you said.  This may be a player's only opportunity to show what he's got.  I just don't get as excited about it as I would about a similar play made at a critical point in a contested game.  But to each, his or her own.  Everyone can enjoy the different parts of the game in their own way.  I'll be the first one to jump on the bandwagon when Solomon does that in a more hotly contested situation (and for the record, I believe that time will come).

Keep in mind that the original post was considering why there isn't more talk about Solomon and I was suggesting my opinion as to why.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, msw2112 said:

I agree with everything you said.  This may be a player's only opportunity to show what he's got.  I just don't get as excited about it as I would about a similar play made at a critical point in a contested game.  But to each, his or her own.  Everyone can enjoy the different parts of the game in their own way.  I'll be the first one to jump on the bandwagon when Solomon does that in a more hotly contested situation (and for the record, I believe that time will come).

Obviously it's not as impactful as a big third down sack in a close game 

And the effort level probably is not as high across the board 

But in one of his first snaps he still split in NFL left tackle and strip sacked a guy who has started 30 plus games in the NFL

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I think his RAS score of 7.23 hurt him in the draft but throw that out the window.

He can flat out play

I’m sure he got dinged way too hard for his height. Dwight Freeny felt it was an advantage, and Solomon seems to hold up well against the run. He’s the bendy/twitchy type we need to replace Von eventually. I guess having freakishly long arms and a knack for the game may offset a few inches in height. 

I had never heard of him before the draft, but I’ve been strangely intrigued by him since. I think he’s going to be fun to watch. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I've been excited about him since we drafted him, because after reading about him I never understood why he was 5th round pick in the first place.

His sack was a piece of beauty and apparently he played well overall.

Only problem I see is that it will be hard for him to get on the field behind Groot, AJ, Von and Smoot. But I am sure he'll get his chances.

He might be just 6'1" tall

With his initial game action resulting in a sack/fumble, I should think (and hope) they give him more significant reps.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

He definitely tried, but it was getting away from him. I started yelling "FALL ON IT!.. FALL ON IT!.." from my couch, as Jag players were closing in. Certainly sweeter for Solomon that it was a turnover.

4 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Garbage OC, garbage decision.

6 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I mean he is 5th or 6th in the DE rotation and he was injured.  He seems to have some good skills and he made a good play on that sack Monday.  I think longer term I dont expect him to get a lot of snaps unless injuries occur.   Playing mop up can be just as misleading as preseason...I am optimistic/curious long term but not sure the fanbase is missing anything yet.

Did Jax have any non-starter OL in the game at that point?  They had the #2 QB, but not sure about OL subs.

Jax was still trying to score (well, kind of).

13 minutes ago, Poleshifter said:

He might be just 6'1" tall

With his initial game action resulting in a sack/fumble, I should think (and hope) they give him more significant reps.

I think he knows how to use his (lack of) height as an advantage to get leverage, and those long arms can keep people off of him. Who knows? He may get swallowed up, but I’m excited to see what he can do. 

• Like (+1) 1