No one is talking about... Javon Solomon

I've been excited about Javon since he was drafted and was disappointed that he missed the first two weeks due to injury. Subsequently I was excited to hear he was active for Jacksonville and he showed very well.

Javon, Andreesen, Elam, Morrow and Bishop entered the game with 7:45 remaining and on his 3rd NFL play from scrimmage he strip sacked McCorkle for a fumble the Bills recovered.

He ended up playing 14 snaps of which 10 were passing plays. PFF gave him a 93.1 pass rush grade and a 93.3 overall grade.

I can't wait to see him sack Lamar on Sunday night.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 32
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 5

It’s going to be fun watching him grow into a star!

anyone hear the Rousseau mic’d up?  I don’t remember the exact words, but he, a rookie, is telling GR he needs to believe he’s the best.  Love that

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I was trying to do a weekly writeup but life happened. What few notes I got had JAVON SOLOMON in all caps.

One of the side benefits of these blowouts is getting the rookie defenders live reps. We (rightfully) give Beane credit for late round picks finds but McDermott and his staff have done good work developing them. I was worried about Bernard stepping in last year and Hamlin this year but it seems like they've hit the ground running once they saw the field

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3

I've been excited about him since we drafted him, because after reading about him I never understood why he was 5th round pick in the first place.

His sack was a piece of beauty and apparently he played well overall.

Only problem I see is that it will be hard for him to get on the field behind Groot, AJ, Von and Smoot. But I am sure he'll get his chances.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I mentioned Von's press conference after the game and how he gushed about Javon Solomon.  Not just in the Jax game but overall, how he's looked in practice too.  If Von knows talent and if he is that excited about Solomon, then so am I.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If you’re going to talk about Solomon(who think is going to be a very good pass rusher) than you have to talk about Toohill as well. 

Everyone was surprised Toohill made the roster, myself included, and he has been nothing but great as the # 5 DE on the roster. Not just his sack and FR from last week but his ability to set the edge in the run game has been very impressive to me so far. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He was like a wrecking ball. We are kind of finally seeing McDermott's vision of drafting all these defensive linemen and sending fresh bodies at these quarterbacks over and over again. It's relentless. 

The selection of Solomon indicates that McBeane are evolving in their processes. They've been pretty consistent about drafting for certain traits, including height and length on the edges. Taking Solomon was a departure from that tendency.

1 hour ago, Maynard said:

Didn’t he strip McCorky? Didn’t think it was Lawrence. 

But yeah, I love this kid. Wanted the Bills to draft him badly and they actually did! 

Yes, it was McCorkle. I'll correct. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yep. Yet another hat tip to Beane’s scouting group. 
Did we cut any picks this year? We had 10..

35 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Funny enough I think it was just D hardy. 

And he was probably one of our better looking rookies in pre season 

Yes Daequan Hardy and he's on the practice squad. The 2024 draft is certainly looking excellent so far. Of course 2022 was his masterpiece with Elam, Cook, Bernard, Shakir, Benford, and Spector... and Araiza.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The more effective some of the rookies are the more the veterans can get breaks and stay fresh.   Bills will not be able to keep all and may be developing them for other teams but hopefully they will make enough of impact while they are there.