Offensive and Defensive Philosophical Alignment - Finally!

HardyBoy

You could make an argument that the key to McDermotts success on defense is ultimately simplicity and allowing players to execute. Obviously this is the NFL, so it's a relative simplicity and I know they do a lot of pattern matching and there is thinking involved...but this isn't Rex Ryan's defense.

With Daboll and Dorsey it felt like the offense was super complicated, which was mentioned time and again by receivers coming from different teams, and there were miscommunications over and over, especially in key moments (Gabe Davis and others). 

The offense this year sounds ultimately super simple, but highly nuanced and multiple. It's simple, but becomes complicated to defend because of the ability for it to be so multiple and you can't tell what they are going to do, because they can make the same thing do so many different things and get it into it in so many different ways with shifts and motions.

That sounds exactly like the defense McD has been running for so long right!

Allowing players to play well above their perceived abilities and allowing players to come in when injuries happen (or key players leave the team in terms of the offense) and keep the level fairly constant, both by keeping it simple and letting players play fast, but also by tailoring the gameplan around the players strengths and how they allow them to use those strengths to exploit the other team's weakness.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

You could make an argument that the key to McDermotts success on defense is ultimately simplicity and allowing players to execute. Obviously this is the NFL, so it's a relative simplicity and I know they do a lot of pattern matching and there is thinking involved...but this isn't Rex Ryan's defense.

With Daboll and Dorsey it felt like the offense was super complicated, which was mentioned time and again by receivers coming from different teams, and there were miscommunications over and over, especially in key moments (Gabe Davis and others). 

The offense this year sounds ultimately super simple, but highly nuanced and multiple. It's simple, but becomes complicated to defend because of the ability for it to be so multiple and you can't tell what they are going to do, because they can make the same thing do so many different things and get it into it in so many different ways with shifts and motions.

That sounds exactly like the defense McD has been running for so long right!

Allowing players to play well above their perceived abilities and allowing players to come in when injuries happen (or key players leave the team in terms of the offense) and keep the level fairly constant, both by keeping it simple and letting players play fast, but also by tailoring the gameplan around the players strengths and how they allow them to use those strengths to exploit the other team's weakness.

Seems so, 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I think they call it “complementary” football

Not sure I'd necessarily call that complimentary in the traditional sense...what I'm talking about isn't really balance and making sure the game scripts are aligned between offense and defense, but more in the philosophical approach to system design.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HardyBoy said:

Not sure I'd necessarily call that complimentary in the traditional sense...what I'm talking about isn't really balance and making sure the game scripts are aligned between offense and defense, but more in the philosophical approach to system design.

Agreed, I wouldn’t call it complimentary either.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Agreed, I wouldn’t call it complimentary either.

Yeah, it's been really cool to see though for sure.

Can you imagine having all these new receivers this year and having them all saying this offense is the most complicated they've ever tried to learn and just not contribute at all...everyone eats has a slightly different meaning when looked at through that lens too

30 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Can you imagine having all these new receivers this year and having them all saying this offense is the most complicated they've ever tried to learn and just not contribute at all...everyone eats has a slightly different meaning when looked at through that lens too

Who was it who said the playbook was one of the most complicated he'd ever seen? Was it Murray?

I know in the K-gun offense with Kelly, they never really had too many plays scripted......guys just went out on simple routes and exploited the zones. The Bills O that we're seeing today reminds me a bit of that, only with more motion and play action thrown in.

And now that we have a decent run game, we can exploit the whole 2nd half of games controlling the clock.

Beautiful stuff, man

4 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I know in the K-gun offense with Kelly, they never really had too many plays scripted......guys just went out on simple routes and exploited the zones. The Bills O that we're seeing today reminds me a bit of that, only with more motion and play action thrown in.

And now that we have a decent run game, we can exploit the whole 2nd half of games controlling the clock.

Beautiful stuff, man

The K-Gun offense basically only had 6 plays

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, drummernut74 said:

The K-Gun offense basically only had 6 plays

K - Gun wide receivers studied game film to determine routes and how best to get open. They only needed six plays and with Thurman Thomas you had a threat to run on 3rd and long doing damage! Good post 

15 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Allowing players to play well above their perceived abilities

It may have been Joe Marino (or one of the o,many ther Buffalo Bills shows i enjoy daily)...that said Damar Hamlin is playing well because he is doing what he is coached to do and very good at - "keeping everything in front of him" so he can make plays. 

3 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

I like to be complimentary, but I'm not sure your post is complementary to the others?

Edited by Malazan
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

Beautiful stuff, man

No huddle is so freaking hard to defend, if you have chemistry you barely need plays.  

3 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

His team has an identity. They needed to shed some personalities—good and bad—and are building who they are, hopefully with Allen and McDermott in lock-step. 

I really like the addition by subtraction. 

Realistically they kept the band together for 5 seasons, and likely 1 season too long.