What’s a kicker worth?

peterpan

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

poor Bass....the same thread started every week

The board needs someone to beat down every week, 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Have we seen him kick outside in December under pressure?

We haven’t, but he nailed a 50 yarder against Washington in the final week last year, and then hit a 65 yarder in preseason.

to me it’s a calculated risk

2 hours ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Kickers are not worth a first round pick.

Kickers may be close to running back value.

Would you rather have a below average K and an average running back? Or a below average running back and an average K?

I agree, they aren’t….. until they kick multiple clutch 50-60 yard fgs in the playoffs in close games and don’t miss any en route to a SB win.  

Just one before I die.  

I’ve been saying it for years brother. They literally lead the league in points every year. The point of the game is to score points. In a game where the margins are often 3 or less the kickers decide the games. Hell of bass makes that kick in the playoffs last year we’re tied in the fourth. 

A crap team isn’t a kicker away from a ring but you can argue we are a kicker away.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Most kickers are pretty much the same except the few elite guys. That is why you only re-sign the elite and you never draft kickers. Otherwise, you rinse and repeat and find new guys until you find an elite one.

Sad part is if look back Dustin Hopkins has been pretty good over the years, I have to wonder how things would have turned out had he not got hurt so early in his career here. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The Bass hate runs deep at TBD.....

It’s due to Bsss Pro  confusion 

14 hours ago, chongli said:

@GunnerBill, if these troubles keep up with Tucker, do you still think he's a lock for the HOF?

If he hangs around a few years but you clearly see a drop it could.  

it’s not common for kickers to make it but he has a shot.

Edited by djp14150
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The general consensus is that Evan McPherson is one of the better kickers in the league. He missed a 48-yard FG on Monday night that played a key role in them falling to 0-3. The nightly Harrison Buttger missed a PAT on Sunday that kept the Chiefs from going up two scores. That might have cost them the game if Atlanta could have scored a TD in the 4th. My point is that they all miss.

Kickers like all other phases of the game are very important especially if the offense & D is not playing up to par but kicking in a dome such as the Dallas kicker does has to be taken into consideration .

Sure Bass hasn't been money like he was (which started just prior to him getting married Just saying) a couple seasons ago . I hope that it doesn't come down to a kick to put the Bills in a place to be a champion . But i will give Bass the benefit of a doubt to get back to where he was when he came into the league .

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Most kickers are pretty much the same except the few elite guys. That is why you only re-sign the elite and you never draft kickers. Otherwise, you rinse and repeat and find new guys until you find an elite one.

A couple of years ago, Bass looked like one of those elite guys and the Bills paid him accordingly.  Unfortunately, he had some struggles last year and had an up and down camp this year, as well as a couple of blocks/misses so far.  I think that Bass is as good as anything that's available right now and has the big contract, so the Bills are going to ride it out and hope he returns to form.  I recall Mason Crosby, an excellent kicker for the Packers for many years and the kicker on at least one, maybe two, Super Bowl squads had a bad season.  They stuck with him and he came back strong the following season and the few seasons after that.

While I don't think the Bills would have beaten the Chiefs last year in the playoffs even if Bass had made the kick (too much time left on the clock and Chiefs would have gotten into FG range against a MASH unit Bills defense), that's certainly the type of kick you need your kicker to make.  It would have given the Bills a chance to win that game, and with the miss, they had no chance.  I agree that all kickers miss kicks from time to time, and I'm no fan of Butker, but he's made so many crucial kicks when they've needed them, including the 49 yarder in the 13 seconds game when all the pressure was on him.  Not to rub salt in Bills fans' wounds (my own included), but it's the truth.  Vinateri and Tucker made so many of those kinds of kicks in the prime of their careers.  The Eagles' kicker (Elliott) made a 59-yarder in bad weather against the Bills last year to extend the game to OT where the Eagles won.  Does Bass make that kick?  Not criticizing, just throwing it out there for thought and discussion.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

Kickers aren’t 1st round picks, not worth that trade. KC would just draft an All Pro whatever with our R1 pick, and then draft the best kicker in the league in the 6th.

I say we just draft or sign a good one. Easy. Everyone seems to have kickers that punch through PATs like they’re tapping in one footers, while ours lines up on the wrong hash giving himself the worst possible angle and goal posts breadth. I have no idea why any kicker wouldn’t line up dead center. Play your odds, K’ers! 

5 hours ago, Low Positive said:

The general consensus is that Evan McPherson is one of the better kickers in the league. He missed a 48-yard FG on Monday night that played a key role in them falling to 0-3. The nightly Harrison Buttger missed a PAT on Sunday that kept the Chiefs from going up two scores. That might have cost them the game if Atlanta could have scored a TD in the 4th. My point is that they all miss.

It's a long season, there will be questionable playing surfaces, wind, rain, snow, cold... No one makes everything.  At the same time, he's hit some absolute dud kicks in his most recent game film including a really ugly 27 yard FG attempt

I'm also wondering if somethings on tape with the blocks (XP this past game, Pittsburgh last year). Trajectory issue? Slow kick tempo?  Bad blocking in certain spots?  I wonder if he's trying to change something to avoid blocks.  I lierally know nothing about special teams.  

One or three points per usage…,

12 hours ago, aristocrat said:

I’ve been saying it for years brother. They literally lead the league in points every year. The point of the game is to score points. In a game where the margins are often 3 or less the kickers decide the games. Hell of bass makes that kick in the playoffs last year we’re tied in the fourth. 

A crap team isn’t a kicker away from a ring but you can argue we are a kicker away.

That’s exactly what I’m saying.  Sure, our Run D may be exposed this week v Balt.  But we are a pretty complete and deep team right now.   Our weakest point is kicker!  And I’m so afraid it’s gonna bite us when it counts.

Does no one remember WIDE RIGHT!?

In our rare instance, a kicker is worth a lot.