Is it time to think massive long term extension for Christian Benford?

Royale with Cheese

On 9/25/2024 at 3:40 PM, mannc said:

The Benford situation highlights what is becoming a good problem for the Bills...extending all their promising young players.  We've already extended Spencer Brown, and Rousseau is up next.  Then we've got Benford, then Terrel Bernard, then Kalil Shakir, James Cook, etc.  There are a lot of hard decisions coming because you can't sign everyone, no matter how good they are.  The Bills are going to have to prioiritize certain positions, let some of these guys walk, and hope they keep hitting on draft picks.   

Seeing a lot of posters who consider Cook a priority re-sign candidate. That's kind of bonkers, innit. Unless he's willing to take a bridge deal or team friendly number (which is not super likely to be sure). I guess his mileage is fairly low, and his skillset is perfect for the modern game, but it just doesn't seem like a smart move if the RB wants top-end RB money. 

On 9/25/2024 at 3:57 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

They can "cheat" on not paying CBs as much with their D line and Chris Jones.

have to think this is Travis Kelce's last year so that is one last vet to pay.

Actually really hope Kelce surprisingly hangs on for another couple seasons, forcing the Chiefs to pay him above average TE money while producing diminishing returns.

On 9/25/2024 at 4:02 PM, boyst said:

image.thumb.png.13464ab88ccb54b807cd9dc4d5fda14a.png
Gotta figure out Douglas, too

Douglas is AWESOME in this scheme. Could definitely play another year or two at a high level. Plus would make an intriguing safety conversion. AND YET...he will almost certainly price himself out of Buffalo (and good for him, I guess). 

13 hours ago, Logic said:

We should not take our organizational stability for granted. It's a very rare thing in the modern NFL. You could probably count on one hand (and still have fingers left over) the amount of organizations as stable and consistent as ours, from ownership to GM to HC. It's awesome.

Don't the Steelers, Ravens, Chiefs, and 49ers for sure have similar orgs? Plus Rams and Packers joining ranks? You're not wrong that Bills are near the top for org stability, but there are more orgs striving for the same level of continuity than you're acknowledging. Detroit seems poised to be in this group of orgs soon as well.

11 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I haven't read through the thread and my comment is going to be a little different.

First, of course you sign him, no question.  

However, the real question is are you going to keep Douglas through to the end of the season because he is so good or do you get some value for him before you have to let him go, because to be clear, you are not going to be able to sign both.  You just won't and especially with Rousseau on the table, as well.

In short...and I am committing sacrilege...do you consider offers for Douglas at the trade deadline* (* As long as you have someone you are confident can step in) or do you ride or die for the Super Bowl knowing you won't get anything when he goes?

Go Bills!

REALLY hate this idea, unless the season gets turned upside-down ASAP. If Josh Allen gets hurt, for example, then sure, yes, definitely recoup some value on a guy like Douglas. Otherwise, how is that move helping the Bills win a championship in 2024? 

• Like (+1) 2

Noggin, I agree you stick with an excellent tandem in Douglas and Benford. I’m almost always with Donuts, but you made the case.  If we lose Josh, then it makes sense, but otherwise another two years for Douglas makes sense.  Contracts can be written so they are loaded into a future year when we have cap space.

As far as organizational continuity, it’s one of the Bills best strengths.  These players are developing so well because of the right coaches, amd logevity, to keep the band going, vs. blowing it up every three years.  That’s a death sentence for recurrent playoffs.

7 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

REALLY hate this idea, unless the season gets turned upside-down ASAP. If Josh Allen gets hurt, for example, then sure, yes, definitely recoup some value on a guy like Douglas. Otherwise, how is that move helping the Bills win a championship in 2024? 

I don’t like it either.  If he helps us get a Super Bowl then that is what this is all about and nothing else matters.

Was just throwing it out there.

On 9/25/2024 at 3:10 PM, HappyDays said:

I'm not sure he'll be quite as expensive as people think because he is still purely a zone corner IMO. Teams don't value that as much. But he's a perfect fit for our defense so I would absolutely pay him a market value long term extension as soon as the season ends.

I heard today he has a 14.6 passer rating on throws against his coverage this year. As a point of reference, Nate Peterman's passer rating in that one game (you know the one) was 17.9.

agree.  the defense he plays in contributes quite a lot to his apparent success.   not convinced you get a massive contract when a cam lewis can replace you and be effective in this particular brand of defense with this kind of high level DB coaching.   hell, Levi f ing Wallace was very effective in this defense and he couldn't  cover me one on one 

I think it shouldn't be massive, but super massive, the biggest cb contract in the history of the league.

For a 6th round pick, at a position where we have seen this coaching staff take one so called meh player after another and turn them into high level starters.

But Beane will likely sign him soon, get a lower number than would otherwise be the case, as usual.

Go Beane!

• Agree 1